Facelifted Fiat Ducato breaks cover

Andrew MMM

euroserv - 2014-06-24 11:55 AM
Corky 8 - 2014-06-21 5:27 PM

I await the first owners report to see if fiat have learned any lessons from their past Mistakes, But I personally would never want to own one, not even if it was given Free. the "New" Model does not look that much different from older models, IMO.

Not even for free? Really?I have just been changing a fuel filter on a Merc 2.2What a faff! This has to be the most insanely complicated procedure ever, and with no less than 3 connections that have flimsy plastic bits to break off. Flimsy plastic and jubilee clips. Nonsense.

" Honest "NOT EVEN for free Nick, I,m fortunate enough to be able to allow the Main dealer to Faff about with mine and being an A series it must be even more difficult due to the shortage of room under the small bonnet, but never a complaint from the Chap who services it even gave me sound advice about not fitting a chip, Plus the coffee they serve from the free drinks Machine takes some beating. Each to their own eh.

Corky 8 - 2014-06-26 9:02 PM

Honest "NOT EVEN for free Nick,

When Fiat turn up with your hypothetical free new van please when you decline it will you tell them that you know a guy who wouldn't. Hopefully I've got in at the front of a very long long long................. queue!

bobalobs - 2014-06-17 5:42 PM

Thanks for that. Is a "hydraulic clutch actuator" the same as a clutch slave cylinder? If so in the old days I would have thought a retrofit a possibility but nowadays all sorts of difficulties seem to arrive.

The "hydraulic clutch actuator" is indeed a "clutch slave cylinder".

There's a fair amount of details/photos of the latest 'facelifted' model (apparently officially given the code reference "X290" to distinguish it from its X250 predecessor) in current French motorhome magazines.

Much of this repeats information provided in Fiat press releases (as mentioned by grahamw above), but an "Esprit Camping-Car" article includes small photos of excerpts from what's clearly a glossy Fiat Professional English-language advertising brochure. One of these photos covers "Clutch Durabiliity", shows a drawing of the clutch, and mentions a "NEW SLAVE CYLINDER - 2.3 Multijet", "GEAR RATIO REDUCTION - 3.0 Multijet" and "SPECIFIC MOTORHOME RATIO SET-UP - All engines".

Where coachbuilt motorhomes are concerned, there's also a brochure excerpt photo that mentions a 20kg weight-saving for the 'camping-car' chassis (for "OPTIMISED PAYLOAD PERFORMANCE") plus a 15kg saving if composite rear springs are specified. This should help to improve the woefully low payload of many large 3500kg MTPLM coachbuilt models now being marketed, but will be offset (to some degree) next year when the Euro 6 emissions standard is imposed for light commercial vehicles.

(I don't think this brochure is available on-line yet. Anyway, I can't find it!)

One interesting statement made in the "Esprit Camping-Car" piece is that the Continental "VancoCamper" tyres that have been original equipment for X250 coachbuilts for some while will be dropped for the X290. Instead Michelin's "Agilis Camping" tyres (Green-X-marked to indicate low rolling-resistance) will be factory-fitted.

Thanks for the info Derek. Now I need to find out what a "concentric clutch cylinder " is as referred to by Nick. The classic cars I play with have cylindrical clutch slave cylinders mounted externally on the bellhousing. Things were simpler in those days!

bobalobs - 2014-06-28 12:29 PM

Thanks for the info Derek. Now I need to find out what a "concentric clutch cylinder " is as referred to by Nick. The classic cars I play with have cylindrical clutch slave cylinders mounted externally on the bellhousing. Things were simpler in those days!

Bobalobs,

Have a look at the small picture bottom left of this Link. The concentric slave cylinder is circled '1'. It replaces the external slave cylinder and release arm.

A great idea but a PITA for service!

Keith.

The coecenteric slave cylinder has been around for a year or two now. It gives a nice parallel action reducing pedal pressure and wear on the pressure plate fingers.

Of course if it goes wrong instead of a two bolt job to replace an external cylinder the gearbox has to come out.

Archived