Gas in Germany

Way2Go

Hi,

I have a couple of 7kg lightweight Calor Propane bottles. As I understand it, Calor Propane is only available in the UK so if I was to have an extended stay in Germany what do I do about gas?

1. Does someone operate the same type of system as Calor where I can buy a couple of 7kg bottles and get them exchanged when they run out like I do in the UK?

2. Can you get Propane (for low temperature winter use) or is it just Butane?

3. Any idea of cost or availability with regards the bottles and replacements?

Any help or web links for additional reading would be swell.

Many thanks

W2G

EDIT - if I can't get Propane, would the cooker and fridge/freezer still work if I have to change to Butane? In other words, do I have to change the jets and/or pigtails?

In Germany, the most common system is to buy a grey gasbottle like this:

http://www.fritz-berger.de/fbonline/__shop__/product/fritzberger_katalog/StahlGasflaschen214064/detail.jsf?partnerid=44D&gclid=CNDG7bL5q74CFWvkwgod2m4AHQ

The price varies between 35 Euro and something like 50 Euro without filling. This bottle is your own and you exchange it for a full one when it is empty.

The filling varies in price as well and is something like 17 to 25 Euro for a 11kg filling.

The gas is propane.

You have to buy an adaptor so that your gas connection fits the german bottle.

Once you have the bottle you can exchange it in most diy shops like OBI etc. or at caravan-dealerships, some filling stations as well.

There are also lightweight aluminium bottles around.

When you finished your trip you have to sell the bottle privately, no shop will take it back.

Guest pelmetman
Maybe a refillable with a camping Gaz as a back up?...............just a suggestion as I haven't long termed in Germany so don't know what the lpg situation is like ;-).................

Most systems now work on 30mb for both gases. Butane is a waste of time for anything much below 10 deg, and Truma blow air heating often fails on Butane it does not gas off quick enough.

The German propane bottles use the same connection as UK Butane.

I am not sure if it is true of many German campsites but the ones I have used charge for the electric by KWH 50 to 55 cent which can work out quite expensive.

We ran everything on gas (we have refillable) and unplugged the EHU during the day so the solar panel charged the battery, after three days electric bill was 1.20e before that we stayed at another site ran most things on electric and the bill was about 35e for five days.

Depending on the time of year, weather and how long you are going for it may be worth looking at a refillable.

Mark.

.....if you want to minimise any additional cost, the "grey" cylinders are pretty universally available for exchange across Germany (and Austria, and possibly elsewhere), and you could easily manage with one, plus a full Calor taken from home to use as a standby when the purchased grey one is empty and awaiting exchange. Switch back as soon as you have a refill to maintain your standby capability.

The drawback with this is that (unless you have a manual or auto-switchover set-up) you will have to switch pigtails each time you switch to the backup cylinder and back again (you'll have to buy a different pigtail for the German bottle anyway - and as has been mentioned, a UK butane pigtail should fit a German grey propane bottle).

The advantage is that you will have access to gas until you can buy the German bottle (and the initial outlay is less).

Many thanks for that and it makes a lot of sense, thank you.

Much appreciated.

W2G

EDIT - presumably, because they are both propane I won't need to change the regulator or jets etc. If I just get one of these http://www.gasproducts.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_20__Propane_Butane_Gas_Pigtail_Butane_Nut_x_W20.html

or should it be one of these

http://www.gasproducts.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_20__Propane_Butane_Gas_Pigtail_Butane_Nut_x_1_4__Bspm_T.html

I should be all set and will just need to undo one pigtail and connect the other?

I don't know whether it makes a difference but we have the Truma Secumotion fitted in the twin bottle gas cupboard. Presumably the butane pigtail will go between the bottle and the Secumotion green valve on the right of this picture http://www.southdownsmotorcaravans.co.uk/accessories/truma_drive-safe_secumotion.php

The two pigtails that you are suggesting with your links are not suitable because they are not compatible with the truma secumotion, they dont supply the hose rupture protection which is part of the secumotion system. The proper way would be to purchase an original truma hose which you can get with different connections for all of the most popular gas cylinders.

http://www.truma.com/de/de/gasversorgung/europa-hochdruckschlaeuche.php

A simple adaptor is also possible and the obvious solution. You have to make sure to get the right one, it is not only the thread, but also the position of the gasket (in Germany, the rubber gasket is part of the cylinder) that you have to watch out for.

Many thanks for the update Ollybear, and for the advice about the secumotion system. I completely forgot to mention that when I originally posted my plea for help. Sorreee ;-)

I'll check out the Truma link and see if I can spot the right hose 8-)

Many thanks for your help

....frankly, I'd only worry about the (expensive) Truma rupture protection hose if you actually use the gas supply whilst driving.

If you don't (like me) then any standard hose is fine. I'm currently using a Gaslow handwheel connected one that is longer than the supplied rupture protection hose, and considerably more convenient in use.

The gas is always off at the bottle when I'm travelling, and the original hose will be re-connected if and when I sell the 'van.

Archived