WING MIRROR REPLACEMENT PEUGEOT BOXER (2010) 335 MWB

atom13

Some kindly tradesman swiped the driver' wing mirror on my Boxer based MH leaving it beyond repair. I ve got a replacement ordered (NOT from a main dealer, I hasten to add). The mirror is electric, heated, with an in-built indicator.

Could anyone lead me through the steps to replace it myself as I am not very tech savvy!

Many thanks for any advice.

Guest Had Enough

It may not be as easy as you think. It's likely that your existing mirror is secured by shear bolts. These are bolts, the heads of which, when the mirror has been tightened in position, snap off. This is to make it difficult for someone to steal your mirrors.

The existing shear bolts have to be drilled out, which is a precision job.

My advice? Take it to a local body shop and negotiate a price of about £25-30 to remove the old one and fit the new one. Once the old one has been removed it's a very quick job to fit the replacement and plug in the heating and power connection.

You could also suggest that shear bolts aren't used this time so that if it happens again you can do it yourself.

Sorry HE but I'd never heard of door mirrors being fitted with shear head bolts so I did a quick spot of searching and found this earlier thread relating to a 2009 Boxer which I'd assume is the same as a 2010 and no mention of shear head screws :-)

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/door-mirror-replacement-2009-Ducato-save-more-than-200-/20627/

Keith.

Guest Had Enough
Keithl - 2014-06-17 6:11 PM

Sorry HE but I'd never heard of door mirrors being fitted with shear head bolts so I did a quick spot of searching and found this earlier thread relating to a 2009 Boxer which I'd assume is the same as a 2010 and no mention of shear head screws :-)

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/door-mirror-replacement-2009-Ducato-save-more-than-200-/20627/

Keith.

Then you've never had a Hobby Van on a Ford Transit. I speak from experience!

http://www.askthemechanic.co.uk/makes/ford-transit-door-mirror.html

I did say that it's likely that the Boxer may have them, not that it's definite. Of course I spoke from my own experience but I'm quite happy to acknowledge that the Boxer doesn't use shear bolts.

Had Enough - 2014-06-17 7:43 PM

Keithl - 2014-06-17 6:11 PM

Keith.

Then you've never had a Hobby Van on a Ford Transit. I speak from experience!

http://www.askthemechanic.co.uk/makes/ford-transit-door-mirror.html

I did say that it's likely that the Boxer may have them, not that it's definite. Of course I spoke from my own experience but I'm quite happy to acknowledge that the Boxer doesn't use shear bolts.

Well there's a first time for everything! I'll remember if ever I get a Transit to replace door mirrors on. Thanks for the link, very interesting.

Keith.

I had a similar mishap in my 2010 Boxer, in Germany a couple of years ago and replaced the unit when I got home.

I don't remember having any major problems. The thread gives a good description of the task - wish I'd seen it first.

It was tricky getting the first bit of trim lifted, but I was being cautious not be to damage anything. The bolts were standard. Just needed a special "star" bit, and I needed a third hand to support and locate the new unit. Hope it goes well.

Thanks, GWA,

The mirror I ordered arrived Tuesday - damaged! No quibble about replacement however which arrives tomorrow. I found a short video on YouTube which gives a fair, if not very professional idea of how to take one off, but stops there. Presumably you do a rewind....

The firm I used is Bradgate Motors of Rotherham who could not have been more helpful and arranged to drop off the new one at the same time as picking up the damaged one. Full marks to them.

Thanks to all who replied to me. We're fairly new to motorhoming and it's great to have a platform like this to pick up snippets of usefil info.

Alan.

Hi, have had to replace two offside and one nearside on a 2008 Fiat can't see that a pug would be much different door trim panel off, if you have a cassette blind that has to come out plug for wiring undo bolts reverse to assemble. Take care when removing door trim I would get the metal fork made for releasing plastic lugs, and the screw that holds the door release is a bit of a fiddle. Other than than quite straight forward.

weldted - 2014-06-20 9:34 AM

Hi, have had to replace two offside and one nearside on a 2008 Fiat can't see that a pug would be much different door trim panel off, if you have a cassette blind that has to come out plug for wiring undo bolts reverse to assemble. Take care when removing door trim I would get the metal fork made for releasing plastic lugs, and the screw that holds the door release is a bit of a fiddle. Other than than quite straight forward.

On my last x250 I did not even remove the door trim, just remove the panel which holds the electric window switches, you can reach the connector through this.

Archived