Sutton Bank A170

willtravel

Travelling from Helmsley North Yorkshire through to Thirsk and onward on the A170.

I am told that caravans prohibited on Sutton Bank I assume that doesn't apply to M.Homes or are we all lumped together by authority as one of those white things clogging our superb road system.

Are they just blocked from going up it or both ways?

Looks pretty steep in places so I guess low gear and take it easy.

Is the alternative route any good?

Hi Will(?),

You are correct in saying Sutton Bank prohibits caravans (and HGV's) and also correct in that it applies in both directions, but this restriction does not apply to MH's. We have been up it several times in our AT.

Apply usual rules for ascending or descending steep hills as you say, namely stay in a low gear, and you will be fine. I would also suggest not following the car in front too close just in case they have to stop.

The alternative route is through narrow winding country lanes and IMO is not really suitable for caravans (or MH's) and I would prefer to climb Sutton Bank any day!

Look on Google maps (and Streetview) and you will see the signs and the steepness of the hill. The only point to watch out for is the hairpin!

Enjoy the drive.

Keith.

Spospe,

it might be 'just an "A" Road' but it is the ONLY "A" Road I know of which specifically prohibits caravans and advises HGV's against use.

Here are some links to Google Streetview showing various signs, proof that MH's do use it and finally the reason why. The road goes round the hairpin to the left and is then behind the wall you can see above the field!

Link to Sutton Bank Sign

Link to Prohibition sign

Link to road

Link to Streetview

Keith.

Guest Peter James
Never had a problem with the van. Fabulous view from the top, although its a few hundred yards walk from the pay and display car park, and the sun is in your face late in the day. It is said you can stand in one spot and see a train start at York and finish at Darlington (although I never have)

Friends son came to grief going down in a classic VW, didn't know drum brakes will be ineffective on long downhill stretches, he does now! It is only a short stretch of very steep road with two or three hair-bends, I've been on it a number of times in my old Commer, no bother.

Its not as bad as it used to be we go up and down it often!! even with a caravan a few years ago (naughty) but locals dont take any notice of that, just try to leave a good gap between you and the vehicle in front stay in a low gear and you will be fine it has been widened a bit, its the Loftus bank I dont like you have a hairpin bend at the bottom and then you have to get a good run as half way up you have another left hand bend if you get a bus in front of you its a beggar even in my mini cooper. (lol)

Went up it once, by accident, in our 'Old' 1988 'Duchess' Autosleeper Talisman 1971cc petrol, AND a policeman was in a patrol car following us up !!!! We made it fine, in first gear most of the time,so not very quick, and I quite expected to get pulled over at the first oppurtunity at the top, at the top he did overtake us , with a Toot on his horn and a wave ! and dissapeared into the distance. Boy ! was I relieved.

So, yes, Motorhomes ARE allowed. Ray

The 'Downward gearchanges' on the old Talbot were a mixture of 'Faith and physical strength' so second to first was 'scary' (did they make the gearboxes out of Custard ??).

Guest Peter James
There is an exhibition in the visitor centre at the top that goes some way towards explaining the restrictions at Sutton Bank. Probably unneccesary with modern vehicles. We tend not to realise how much of a struggle it was for old vehicles - both in terms of getting up, and down the hill. Overheating engines, overheating brakes leading to loss of control, seems to have been quite commonplace there in the old days

My first car was a 18 year old 1945 Ford Popular 997 cc and along with 3 friends I set off to Scarboro via Sutton Bank .Just before the hair pin bend the friends had to jump out and help to push. Eventually we managed to turn the car round at the bend (very little traffic midweek in those days) and go up the straight in reverse, with my friends helping too !

Needless to say I wasnt asked to be an unpaid taxi very often after that episode !

Have to say going down Sutton Bank absolutely no problem as most people said it would be.

Took it easy and very little traffic made it very comfortable.

We went for a walk alongside the glider club before going down, a good spot for pictures of planes towing gliders up into the sky and also for the views which were tremendous.

Visitor centre was very interesting but beware the café, cappuccino outrageously expensive, though filter coffee reasonable with free top up also!

Archived