levelling van side to side

Poppy

New van is 2.3 metres wide.The widest we have had. I have trouble leveling it from side to side even on fairly flat pitches.Think we nee to upgrade our leveling blocks but otherwise has anyone any experience with the automatic leveling devices? Thanks.

Poppy - 2014-07-13 6:30 PM

New van is 2.3 metres wide.The widest we have had. I have trouble leveling it from side to side even on fairly flat pitches.Think we nee to upgrade our leveling blocks........................

Why is that - what is the problem with the leveling blocks that you've got ?

:-|

Our van is 2.32 wide, and we rarely have any problems.

But then, we find that "levellish" is good enough.

It's really hard to get it "spirit-level" level, so we don't bother.

"Levellish" means the fridge works, we don't fall out of bed, and the wine glasses stay on the table. :D

Edit - have always found fridges to be a lot more forgiving than you are led to believe.

I can not see why there should be a problem. Firstly the van being wider does not mean the track width of the base vehicle is wider. Secondly if the levelling blocks are big enough to level the van front to back the must be big enough to level it side to side on the same slope, as the wheel base (length) must be wider than the wheel track (width). Levelling side to side needs finer adjustment due to this. 

I would suggest the that it is that the difference in height of each step on the blocks is too great to achieve the fine adjustment required.

colin - 2014-07-13 9:05 PM

We have Milenco triples which are fine to level side to side but can run out of height front to rear, so I would recommend Milenco quads.

Thanks.Will have a look at those.

I have gradually gone for bigger and bigger levelling blocks over the years and now have the Milenco Quattro type. Somehow I have acquired a set of three, which seems to be enough.

I fear falling off the top step by driving too far "up and over" but I have managed to avoid it so far. I rely on the OH to watch and tell me when we are on the correct step. Unfortunately she finds it difficult to signal anything as specific as which step we're on and tends to close her eyes and put her hands over her mouth in a gesture of panic or fear as the critical point is approached, so I have to try to interpret that into whether we have arrived or not.

Fortunately we seem to need to use levelling block only infrequently.

Poppy - 2014-07-14 10:53 AM

We have Milenco triples which are fine to level side to side but can run out of height front to rear, so I would recommend Milenco quads.

See if Derek will swap with you, he finds the Quatro's too high. ;-) :D

colin - 2014-07-14 9:57 PM

Poppy - 2014-07-14 10:53 AM

See if Derek will swap with you, he finds the Quatro's too high. ;-) :D

If you read my comments here

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Customer-service/35349/

you will appreciate that it's not so much the height of the Milenco "Quattro" levelling-ramps that concerns me but the design of their top surface.

(Coincidentally, as I have now sold my motorhome, my Quattro levellers are now surplus to requirements. If anyone wants them (for say £20) and is prepared to collect them (Ross-on-Wye, Herefordshire) please PM me.

Automatic devices= mega expensive.  Millenco Quattro loads cheaper and should level any MH on all but the worst of sloping pitches.  We have a RollerTeam 600G which is 2.3 mtrs wide and 7.2 mtrs long and have never had a problem using Quattro ramps.

Derek Uzzell - 2014-07-15 9:26 AM

(Coincidentally, as I have now sold my motorhome, my Quattro levellers are now surplus to requirements. If anyone wants them (for say £20)......

With you selling your "levellers", you're not jackin' in MHing are you Derek?

(..or does Lenny's " (lol) ", point to you getting a Hymer..? :-D )

pepe63 - 2014-07-15 1:46 PM

Derek Uzzell - 2014-07-15 9:26 AM

(Coincidentally, as I have now sold my motorhome, my Quattro levellers are now surplus to requirements. If anyone wants them (for say £20)......

With you selling your "levellers", you're not jackin' in MHing are you Derek?

(..or does Lenny's " (lol) ", point to you getting a Hymer..? :-D )

Don't Hymers need levelling then? Now that would be worth paying a few quid more for.

Or are you getting a caravan Derek?!

regards

alan b

We have Milenco Quads and know from experience that to get the correct tilt on a flat surface that the nearside is 2 lumps and the offside is 1 lump.

This gets us level for to aft and a tilt to drain the shower.

If the ground slopes more, I use a Milenco level, that has markings on it to show the number of lumps you have to travel up to level the level !

(I use the words "lumps" as an indication bumps up the Milenco Blocks, after four and a crash, you are at the end)

3117_level_gauge.jpg.65e569416ece35ee11195ec4988ec316.jpg

Poppy - 2014-07-14 8:28 AM

I think our blocks are not quite big enough.We can get it levelish but the shower tray doesn't always drain fully and neither does the sink without help.

Unlike your previous Hobby Van, your current Laika model has a rear track wider than the front track. This will inevitably complicate exact side-to-side levelling and, if you are having trouble doing this with your Milenco "Triple" levelling blocks, I can't see opting for the "Quattro" versions offering a solution.

Like StuartO I was very wary of driving over the end of my Milenco Quattros and, consequently, I only used them when I really had to (ie. when levelling front-to-rear on particularly steep slopes) and I don't think I ever went beyond their 3rd 'step'. If you are considering getting taller ramps than your Triples for side-to-side levelling, you should perhaps consider how frequently you'll be parking sideways on ultra-steep inclines in future.

Unless a shower-tray has a design that always funnels the water to a drain-hole irrespective of the motorhome being level, complete draining won't occur. If the sink is unvented (as many are) draining will be slow unless there's sufficient water in the sink to initiate siphoning.

If you want to play about getting your motorhome 100% side-to-side level, you'd probably be better off using a simple wedge-shaped product like the Fiamma "Jumbo" rather than stepped levelling blocks.

http://www.horizonleisure.co.uk/fiamma-level-system-jumbo.html?___store=default

Archived