Calor Lit recall

THE SHEPHERD

Having just exchanged 2 Calor Lit 6Kg gas bottles, due to the recall. Does anyone know if there is a manual switch over available from the empty bottle that has chosen the most inconvenient time to run out, to a full bottle until the weather allows a much better opportunity to replace the empty one.TS

Or use one of these...

http://www.gasproducts.co.uk/acatalog/Gaslow_Twin_Regulator_Gauge_-_Propane.html

with 2 regular or Stainless Steel pigtails and you have no levers to move.

Simply turn off the empty cylinder and turn on the full cylinder.

You can even change over just before the cylinder runs out without turning appliances off by turning on the full before closing the (near) empty one as the T piece incorporates 2 non-return valves.

I have one fitted with 2 by 750 mm Stainless hoses and it is really simple to use AND the gauge doubles as a leak checker after you shut off both cylinders.

Keith.

Keithl - 2014-09-30 4:55 PM

Or use one of these...

http://www.gasproducts.co.uk/acatalog/Gaslow_Twin_Regulator_Gauge_-_Propane.html

That's how we've been doing it for over thirty years, following abolition of the automatic changeover unit that let us run out of gas once, about 30 years ago!

Takes no time at all to change over and can be done at night in PJs when needed - often - leaving you free to replace the bottle at your leisure - just don't forget!

Just don't believe the gauge as ours was wildly inaccurate and then developed a suspected leak some 10 years ago so I took it off and blanked the hole so if you can source just the 'T' piece it would work just as well and cost less!

Tracker - 2014-09-30 5:00 PM

Just don't believe the gauge as ours was wildly inaccurate and then developed a suspected leak some 10 years ago so I took it off and blanked the hole so if you can source just the 'T' piece it would work just as well and cost less!

But DO NOT use a plain T piece.

The Gaslow manual changeover unit has non-return valves in both inlet connection so that you can disconnect an empty cylinder while still having the full one turned on.

Keith.

Thank you gentlemen, informative as ever. The only hurdle I see is that being a 2001 camper, the supply from gas bottle into the habitation area is by means of a length of gas pipe pushed on to a nipple and held in place by a jubilee clip. The modern metal pipes seem to require nuts at both ends.

Keithl - 2014-09-30 5:47 PM

Tracker - 2014-09-30 5:00 PM

But DO NOT use a plain T piece.

The Gaslow manual changeover unit has non-return valves in both inlet connection so that you can disconnect an empty cylinder while still having the full one turned on.

Keith.

Fair comment - ours is so old that it has no one way valves and as they can become gummed up over time and stick I personally consider the trade off for reliability over a minor inconvenience worth the effort.

Others may differ!

THE SHEPHERD - 2014-09-30 6:01 PM

Thank you gentlemen, informative as ever. The only hurdle I see is that being a 2001 camper, the supply from gas bottle into the habitation area is by means of a length of gas pipe pushed on to a nipple and held in place by a jubilee clip. The modern metal pipes seem to require nuts at both ends.

In which case it is even easier - just get more hose, a suitable size bore T piece and four more small jubilee clips.

Are you aware that the low pressure hose has a date stamp on it and should be replaced every two years as it goes porous? If you can smell gas in the locker and you have checked all joints for tightness and leaks that can be the cause.

Just replaced two reinforced rubber hoses on our motorhome which were showing signs of failing but on our BBQ at home we have a black plastic one which is very old but looks to be as good as new! Progress or,what.

Talking of progress the central locking on our habitation door has just failed. Never used to happen in the old days when we simply used a key which is what we are doing now. Will have to get it fixed soon though before we part with this motorhome in PX for a new one.

Colin Leake - 2014-09-30 10:38 PM

Will have to get it fixed soon though before we part with this motorhome in PX for a new one.

Glutton for punishment eh Colin!!

An ever more complex Euro 6 machine with ever 'lighter' fittings and ever more complex internal electronics - oh goody goody - truly, I wish you luck!!

Archived