3 'Feel at Home' best Internet abroad ever!!

derek500

Bought a £15 add on for my PAYG smart phone which gives 300 minutes, 3000 texts and 25gb of data for a month.

Apart from Belgium and Luxembourg, which we passed through, we have had Internet at no extra charge in France, Italy and it will also work in Switzerland on our way home.

Does say no tethering, but luckily for us our Xperia z tablet is identified as a phone, so we haven't been disconnected as some using laptops have.

Yes we used it all over France after it was rolled out in September, great facility, never once did not get a 3g signal to make use of it, can only imagine other providers may have to roll out similar packages.

My days of hanging around French McDonalds or looking for unsecured WiFi spots are at an end.

lennyhb - 2014-10-11 12:15 PM

Since signing up to Fon (one off cost €34) and using a long range directional aerial never been without a connection for more than a day or two.

The downside being of course not being able to use the connection on the move, something that we were able to do all over France with our Razr i. and all without fiddling around with aerials. You should give it a go Lenny, it's brilliant.

I bought one of these FM transmitters on ebay, so we can have our TV sound through our superior cab and/or habitation speakers.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAR-WIRELESS-MP3-FM-RADIO-TRANSMITTER-HANDS-FREE-FOR-MOBILE-IPHONE5-IPOD-SAMSUNG-/291120418489?pt=UK_FM_Transmitters&hash=item43c8210eb9

We've also used it plugged into the smart phone and using the Tune-In Radio app can stream UK radio through the cab radio driving or parked up.

Joe90 - 2014-10-11 12:46 PM

Since signing up to Fon (one off cost €34) and using a long range directional aerial never been without a connection for more than a day or two.

The downside being of course not being able to use the connection on the move, something that we were able to do all over France with our Razr i. and all without fiddling around with aerials. You should give it a go Lenny, it's brilliant.

But Mike you said you never got a 3G signal to be able to make use of it !

So you have just tethered to your phone? Which network are you with as I would doubt it would need to be a Razr I to gain a service?

sshortcircuit - 2014-10-11 2:25 PM

So you have just tethered to your phone? Which network are you with as I would doubt it would need to be a Razr I to gain a service?

Err... I think he's on the '3' network, as in the title! (lol)

http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Phones/Feel_At_Home?intid=3main_wc3_link3

Mike

Three's "Feel at Home" worked for us in France. Couldn't tether from the IPhones but we had normal phone and adat services throughout with excellent reception.

The Weather Channel app was extremely useful, also the news apps.

No idea how much data we used but I'm sure we never got anywhere near the 25Gb limit.

I'm sure this service will expand to the whole of Europe fairly soon.

derek500 - 2014-10-11 2:47 PM

lennyhb - 2014-10-11 2:20 PM

You have to read it twice, there's two negatives that make a positive!!

True, but he's a Welshman so who knows what he means. :D

lennyhb - 2014-10-11 2:20 PM

I actually said, although perhaps not grammatically correct

"never once did not get a 3g signal to make use of it" obviously causing some confusion.

perhaps I should have said we were always able to get a 3g signal, even in the middle of nowhere

and added unlike some parts of the UK

anyway enough to say my smartphone and all the apps were for the first time something I could use on the move, and not to even think of finding a wifi signal is truly liberating, for just £15 for 30 days.

Apps I used were Archies campings, Aires Camping car infos, My LPg /Eu, Google maps, and M8, and Google translate, although you may know you can download languages for offline use. Plus I was able to share my joy with all you folks back home on here.!

Now if I can just figure out how to answer a call, I've cracked it.

P.S, just because a Dog lives in a stable, doesn't make it a Horse.

mikebeaches - 2014-10-11 2:45 PM

sshortcircuit - 2014-10-11 2:25 PM

Err... I think he's on the '3' network, as in the title! (lol)

http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Phones/Feel_At_Home?intid=3main_wc3_link3

Mike

Oops, pretty obvious.

I not that convinced on 3G signals, the connection is often slow and often nonexistent in rural areas earlier in year I was doing a bit of work (sorry for using a four letter word) in Birmingham trying to find Maplins to get some bits, 3G almost non existent in the city centre saved by "Birmingham Free WiFi" .

lennyhb - 2014-10-11 3:36 PM

I not that convinced on 3G signals, the connection is often slow and often nonexistent in rural areas earlier in year I was doing a bit of work (sorry for using a four letter word) in Birmingham trying to find Maplins to get some bits, 3G almost non existent in the city centre saved by "Birmingham Free WiFi" .

That's why I said "unlike parts of the UK, obviously all the time in France the provider was Bouygues Telecom, they obviously have a far superior service, instant connections, and a fast internet experience wherever we were without exception. Didn't try any video content, but were able to use an app to listen to UK radio stations which was something new, including BBC stations which surprised me, and with only minor buffering a couple of times.

• 10 months later...
The 3 feel at home package is excellent. I have a contract phone which gives me all you can eat data, calls and texts free to UK landlines/mobiles. We travelled throughout France and Spain this year with excellent coverage under "The feel at home package" and no additional charges.

As I understand the "Feel at Home" package, it only lasts for 30 days after funding the account, after that time the rates go up considerably. This is OK if you are only going abroad for less than 30 days to a Feel at Home country, or you are happy to fund your account after 30 days (minimum £10) in order to keep the facility.

"3" is still good value, but don't get caught out by the 30 day rule.

spospe - 2015-09-01 5:52 PM

As I understand the "Feel at Home" package, it only lasts for 30 days after funding the account, after that time the rates go up considerably. This is OK if you are only going abroad for less than 30 days to a Feel at Home country, or you are happy to fund your account after 30 days (minimum £10) in order to keep the facility.

"3" is still good value, but don't get caught out by the 30 day rule.

It's a thirty day add on, not a rule!! We'll buy one next week and use the first eight days in the UK and the remaining 22 in France. If we're still there after that, we'll buy another one.

derek500 - 2014-10-11 12:49 PM

I bought one of these FM transmitters on ebay, so we can have our TV sound through our superior cab and/or habitation speakers.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAR-WIRELESS-MP3-FM-RADIO-TRANSMITTER-HANDS-FREE-FOR-MOBILE-IPHONE5-IPOD-SAMSUNG-/291120418489?pt=UK_FM_Transmitters&hash=item43c8210eb9

We've also used it plugged into the smart phone and using the Tune-In Radio app can stream UK radio through the cab radio driving or parked up.

Thanks for this Derek the sound quality on our tv is rubbish so just ordered one of these.

John.

Thanks for this Derek the sound quality on our tv is rubbish so just ordered one of these.

John.

John.

• 11 months later...

Loads more countries being added in September.

In September, we will be adding 24 new destinations for you to use your phone abroad at no extra cost and share your holiday pictures shamelessly. You’ll soon be able to use your phone in a total of 42 destinations across the world including Germany, Portugal, Greece and the USA. Below is a list of the 24 new destinations that will be automatically added for you to use Feel at Home in:

Belgium, Bulgaria, Channel Islands (Jersey & Guernsey), Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Isle of Man, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovenia and Slovakia.

Hi

Agreed, Three is great!

I have a Three 'mobile broadband' sim on 30-day rolling contract (£15 for 10GB/month). When abroad it goes in the van's MiFi with external antenna to provide decent coverage. Works well in the MiFi supplying all my devices with free internet.

When at home the three sim-card lives in my tablet - EE provides better coverage and more 4G for UK use.

Shame it does not work in Germany - That's the main hole in the free internet provision. You'll get charged up to your set monthly limit (default 40-odd quid) for using data in Germany. I changed the default to a tenner in any one month to keep the costs down.

Nigel

Archived