3 'Feel at Home' best Internet abroad ever!!

derek500

veletron - 2016-08-16 1:21 PM

Shame it does not work in Germany - That's the main hole in the free internet provision. You'll get charged up to your set monthly limit (default 40-odd quid) for using data in Germany. I changed the default to a tenner in any one month to keep the costs down.

Nigel

Germany is one of the 24 new countries coming in September.

We also have the monthly 15g contract and have always found a decent signal all over France and Spain.In fact it was better than before on the 3 PAYG.

The additional countries are perfect for our forthcoming trip through Eastern Europe but some advice appreciated. There are theoretical limits of 60 days abroad in a 12 month period but we used it for almost 6 months last year...................so my question.

If I take out a new contract I know at least we are sure of the 60 days.

If I keep my current contract it's possible that on day 1 we are cut off for being over the limit already.

But as longer time contract perhaps there is a little leeway.Anyone know how/if they measure the 60 days and is there a person involved who might not want me to cancel my contract or is it just fully automated.

Hi

Three's T&C's seem to indicate a max allowed time abroad each year of 2 complete months in any rolling 12 month period. The T&C's also state that if, part way through one of those 'months' you enter a non feel-at-home country and pay for data at standard roaming rates (even for a short period), then that 'month' wont count against your 2 complete months.

There are some restrictions applied to all traffic - for instance video streams might not work - I could not view the MPEG4 video streams from my home security camera's for instance. A VPN gets around this.

Also note that the speeds are just OK - you'll not be reliably streaming iPlayer via a VPN or watching netflix - they have to look after bandwidth use or the whole offer would just unravel.

Getting a P&G sim + a data add-on would get you feel at home on that. The data add-on's expire, but you could use this for the 1st month, and then only insert the contract three sim after the Payg sim stops working. NB, for the contract SIM, it would be important for the foreign network to not see it at all - your 2-months begin when the foreign network sees the SIM, to 'reset' the 'period abroad' the SIM would need to be seen back in the UK.

Feel at home has kept me a Three contract customer though - if it were not for feel at home I would have jumped ship to a network with better UK coverage.

From your post it would seem that three are a bit lapse re enforcing the rules anyway.

T&C's: http://support.three.co.uk/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBISAPI.DLL?Command=New,Kb=Mobile,Ts=Mobile,T=Article,varset_cat=roaming,varset_subcat=4157,Case=Ext(EM38751)

Nigel

veletron - 2016-08-17 11:39 AM

Hi

Three's T&C's seem to indicate a max allowed time abroad each year of 2 complete months in any rolling 12 month period. The T&C's also state that if, part way through one of those 'months' you enter a non feel-at-home country and pay for data at standard roaming rates (even for a short period), then that 'month' wont count against your 2 complete months.

There are some restrictions applied to all traffic - for instance video streams might not work - I could not view the MPEG4 video streams from my home security camera's for instance. A VPN gets around this.

Also note that the speeds are just OK - you'll not be reliably streaming iPlayer via a VPN or watching netflix - they have to look after bandwidth use or the whole offer would just unravel.

Getting a P&G sim + a data add-on would get you feel at home on that. The data add-on's expire, but you could use this for the 1st month, and then only insert the contract three sim after the Payg sim stops working. NB, for the contract SIM, it would be important for the foreign network to not see it at all - your 2-months begin when the foreign network sees the SIM, to 'reset' the 'period abroad' the SIM would need to be seen back in the UK.

Feel at home has kept me a Three contract customer though - if it were not for feel at home I would have jumped ship to a network with better UK coverage.

From your post it would seem that three are a bit lapse re enforcing the rules anyway.

T&C's: http://support.three.co.uk/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBISAPI.DLL?Command=New,Kb=Mobile,Ts=Mobile,T=Article,varset_cat=roaming,varset_subcat=4157,Case=Ext(EM38751)

Nigel

I've got no idea what paragraph 4 is saying??? Could you post it again please? this time in an understandable form. Apologies for my ignorance.

I was also a little confused by that paragraph.

I have a PAYG sim and can buy an data add on for that if necessary.

But of course I will use my contract Sim until such time as they decide to cut me off THEN cancel the contract and start to use the PAYG sim...............or more likely the 12g for 12month Sim.

With the additional countries 3 is definitely the best provider for Europe and I am surprised none of the others have tried to compete.

starvin marvin - 2016-08-18 8:15 PM

I've got no idea what paragraph 4 is saying??? Could you post it again please? this time in an understandable form. Apologies for my ignorance.

Sorry, it was in reply to webby1 who I should have quoted. I was meaning that since webby1 had a contract three sim card, the way to get around three's 2-month usage limit would be to get a payg sim card as well, and use this 1st. Then, when that quits working. move to the contract three sim card.

Three do say that they can/will disable feel at home for customers that break the rules - and there is no mention of how one goes about getting it back again - or even if this is possible. Likely not an issue for payg, but more so if it is a contract sim. Having two sims would be one way to get around this 'limitation'.

Edit: From the post above, this is what webby1 does anyway! The caveat is that if everyone were to use Three's feel-at-home outside its terms of use then they would just stop offering it altogether.

Nigel

I went into 3G shop yesterday, they did say that all EU countries will be available on Feel at Home after 1st Sept. When I had a read of the website, its clear thats its not for long term use, so probably stick with our Vodaphone Euro Traveller when we're away on our long (time) trips.

Its seems a lot of messing about to get it to cover, say 4 months away. So for us its not the "best ever" its a nearly there.

I've just come back from Italy via France and have always used the Three MiFi's data rolling contract since they were introduced. Depending on where you are, depends on the quality of signal received. Three tell me that they guarantee 3G in the UK (Hmm), but what you receive in 'Feel at Home' countries depends on the local provider.

I have the 20gb contract and was not pleased to find it restricted when I reach 11.8gb of use. Seemingly their Terms and Conditions restrict use to 12gb in any 'Feel at Home' country, during that month. As I was within 2 days of my monthly renewal, I was told to just login again in 2 days time. It's automatic, as is the 60 days rule and it is handled by computer, so once you have exceeded their Terms and Conditions, your access terminates immediately.

However, I do feel that whatever you are paying for should be what you get...not a limit that they can change at will.

Regards

As I said we used it for 6 months last year and up to the 15g monthly limit. But this time will take a few of the 12g for 12 month sims.

I posted elsewhere that if they last for say 6 weeks (and of course there will be campsite wi fi)then they could work out cheaper than the contract over 6 months.

Nigel I am interested in the settings where you applied a £10 limit to the contract extras.Otherwise it could be that instead of cutting you off they just start charging you the going rate.....................try and get it back from them.

phalange - 2016-08-21 10:40 PMi've just spent 9 months away in Europe and my 3 contract was never terminated, i visited France Spain and Italy.

That's a pretty good deal, for ordinary phone and data users.  Feel at Home has worked flawlessly for me too. Some people want to use a deal intended for ordinary users for higher data use - isn't that being a bit unrealistic?

starvin marvin - 2016-08-19 11:39 AM

I went into 3G shop yesterday, they did say that all EU countries will be available on Feel at Home after 1st Sept. When I had a read of the website, its clear thats its not for long term use, so probably stick with our Vodaphone Euro Traveller when we're away on our long (time) trips.

Hope the shop was right. The official line this morning is still date TBC. We're planning on going to Holland on Sunday, 4th.

We have three PAYG three sims and buy one £25 monthly add on and when that expires, move to the next one.

Guest pelmetman

One word of caution.....I've been a 3 broadband dongle customer for years.......yet did my 3 dongle work in Spain last year?......did it rowlocks *-) ......It worked halfway through France, then nuffink until we got back to halfway through France :-| .......

We have since upgraded the dongle to a different model that I saw working in Spain......so hopefully that's solved the issue :-S ...

• 2 months later...
derek500 - 2014-10-11 12:49 PM

I bought one of these FM transmitters on ebay, so we can have our TV sound through our superior cab and/or habitation speakers.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAR-WIRELESS-MP3-FM-RADIO-TRANSMITTER-HANDS-FREE-FOR-MOBILE-IPHONE5-IPOD-SAMSUNG-/291120418489?pt=UK_FM_Transmitters&hash=item43c8210eb9

We've also used it plugged into the smart phone and using the Tune-In Radio app can stream UK radio through the cab radio driving or parked up.

just got one yet to play with it

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301701726635

Guest pelmetman

Update to my last post.......new dongle working so far in Spain, although you do need to be in a largish town as it doesn't work in injun country :D ........

Archived