E bikes in Spain .... again

Gwendolyn

Tracker - 2014-12-12 2:03 PM

Whereas some of those who may be fully grown but not yet adult, especially some so called 'modern comedians', like to think and also try, but fail to convince the rest of us that unbridled effing etc is both adult and funny but it only really shows immaturity and a lack of education and command of the English language

Well I will be the first to admit I have never grown up. I never had children so just stayed one myself I suppose. I have to say and without being biased that there have been threads on Fruitcakes that have literally made me wet myself with laughter. Not always but sometime. The turnover of topics is really quite quick so unless your on there a lot you may well miss them.

We even employ one person who spends his entire life 27 hours a day trolling up fun images and videos from the deepest parts of the interweb. No other forums have that! :D

As for swearing well if its used in the right place and context I think it can be very funny.

Its just harmless fun and everyone is welcome. Its not a real motorhome forum as I have said before and there are no cliques or egos whatsoever.

Merry Christmas to everyone by the way (including Frank! :D)

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not just swearing - it is the constant use of the F word and to me it conveys a basic lack of language skills.

It never fails to amaze me how those so inclined feel they have to defend the lowering of standards and the general dumbing down of the nation with the age old chestnut that if it bothers you don't look at it.

How about defending the values of moderate language - or is that beyond comprehension or just too difficult to attain to those so entrenched in being foul mouthed?

I am not singling anyone specific out for criticism as this is more of a general observation about the world and the times in which we live.

And yes - I am very proud to be old fashioned if that is what it means to live my life by high standards of decency and behaviour.

That said if I drop a concrete block on my foot or hit my thumb with a hammer I too have been known to utter the odd expletive or three, but in private, never in public and absolutely never on a public forum.

How hard can it be?

Tracker - 2014-12-12 4:51 PM

It's not just swearing - it is the constant use of the F word and to me it conveys a basic lack of language skills.

It never fails to amaze me how those so inclined feel they have to defend the lowering of standards and the general dumbing down of the nation with the age old chestnut that if it bothers you don't look at it.

How about defending the values of moderate language - or is that beyond comprehension or just too difficult to attain to those so entrenched in being foul mouthed?

I am not singling anyone specific out for criticism as this is more of a general observation about the world and the times in which we live.

And yes - I am very proud to be old fashioned if that is what it means to live my life by high standards of decency and behaviour.

If I hear a little git swearing in front of the older generation , kids or anyone I feel it's not appropriate to swear in front of then I'm first to tell em to shut it ... If I'm on a forum that after ten seconds you can see accepts swearing then if I want I'll swear .... Fruitcakes members don't swear on here , why ? Because it's not accepted on here so that's actually been respectful is it not ?

Your judging folk Rich , let me guess you don't like tattoos or piercings either ?

antony1969 - 2014-12-12 4:59 PM

Your judging folk Rich , let me guess you don't like tattoos or piercings either ?

You bet I am judging people and what is wrong with asking for higher standards of conduct and decency?

As far as tattoos and piercings are concerned it matters not to me but it does give me a good laugh about how silly they look and about the owner's misguided attempts to express their 'individuality' by doing exactly the same as so many other alleged 'individuals' do!

But as long as it keeps tattooists off the dole and make the 'individuals' happy I guess we should be grateful for small mercies!

Tracker - 2014-12-12 5:07 PM

antony1969 - 2014-12-12 4:59 PM

You bet I am judging people and what is wrong with asking for higher standards of conduct and decency?

As far as tattoos and piercings are concerned it matters not to me but it does give me a good laugh about how silly they look and about the owner's misguided attempts to express their 'individuality' by doing exactly the same as so many other alleged 'individuals' do!

But as long as it keeps tattooists off the dole and make the 'individuals' happy I guess we should be grateful for small mercies!

Rich you think one way I another in that swearing where it's acceptable as it is on Fruitcakes should not offend anyone , let's agree to disagree

antony1969 - 2014-12-12 5:11 PM

Rich you think one way I another in that swearing where it's acceptable as it is on Fruitcakes should not offend anyone , let's agree to disagree

Of course Antony - this is a discussion where we each respect each others views without always agreeing with them and without recourse to insults and brownie point scoring.

At least we agree on that!

Swearing does not offend me - I've worked on fishing boats and have heard it all many many times - I just do not feel that is either necessary or appropriate in any public situation - that's all!

Tracker - 2014-12-12 5:18 PM

antony1969 - 2014-12-12 5:11 PM

Of course Antony - this is a discussion where we each respect each others views without always agreeing with them and without recourse to insults and brownie point scoring.

At least we agree on that!

Swearing does not offend me - I've worked on fishing boats and have heard it all many many times - I just do not feel that is either necessary or appropriate in any public situation - that's all!

That's how to do it Rich is it not ... No name calling , no insults ... Just an effing good discussion old buddy

There isnt even that much swearing to be fair but we have made up our own swear words and one was used in this thread earlier. Its a kind of a Code so we can recognise each other. Bit like the Masons handshake. (lol)

Its what I would call pub banter and to be honest I think its refreshing. I knew most of the members from other forums before they joined and its only when there are very few rules and sections that are members only that you perhaps truly see someone being themselves.

You want to have a look at some of the vile and hateful stuff that is posted around the internet on the likes of Twitter and Youtube. If there was anything as offensive as that on FC it would be pulled immediately and indeed on occasion that has happened but not often.

Now to get back onto E-Bikes. Im getting one of these for Spain.

Tracker - 2014-12-12 4:51 PM

That said if I drop a concrete block on my foot or hit my thumb with a hammer I too have been known to utter the odd expletive or three, but in private, never in public and absolutely never on a public forum.

How hard can it be?

You are welcome to your standards and I respect your right to observe them.

Please extend others the same courtesy. If Fruitcakes isn't your thing that's fine, leave to those who enjoy it. Nobody compels you to log in there.

To quote you, "How hard can it be?"

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2014-12-12 5:41 PM

You want to have a look at some of the vile and hateful stuff that is posted around the internet on the likes of Twitter and Youtube. If there was anything as offensive as that on FC it would be pulled immediately and indeed on occasion that has happened but not often.

I'd say FC standards are higher than O&L's when it comes to dealing with trouble makers ;-) ................

I can only advise anyone who is offended by swearing not to buy or watch UK TV................although I personally found two programmes at either end of the spectrum in the last 7 days hilarious,

The Toffs, and Jimmy Carr. :D

I also find it hilarious that some try to pass off Ebikes as cycling. >:-)

be seeing them on the Tour De France next.

Joe90 - 2014-12-12 6:15 PM

I can only advise anyone who is offended by swearing not to buy or watch UK TV................although I personally found two programmes at either end of the spectrum in the last 7 days hilarious,

The Toffs, and Jimmy Carr. :D

I also find it hilarious that some try to pass off Ebikes as cycling. >:-)

be seeing them on the Tour De France next.

I can easily watch Uk TV without constant swearing. Its all about selecting what you wish to view and invariably those programmes with high swearing levels are not worth watching anyway, so easily avoided.

If you consider using an ebike fitted with electric pedal assist not cycling then what is it? I have an ebike and have managed to cycle many places that would be far out of my reach using a conventional cycle and certainly with legs giving up totally impossible on foot. I managed a route of about 23 miles and at a guess used the electric assist for about 10 miles. So yes not totally cycling but very enjoyable. Place for everthing, critised by many who have not even tried or thought through, but again what suits some may not suit others.

erneboy - 2014-12-12 5:57 PM

Please extend others the same courtesy. If Fruitcakes isn't your thing that's fine, leave to those who enjoy it. Nobody compels you to log in there.

Do I detect a hint of self righteous indignation in your protestations Erne?

Just because it is not compulsory to visit that website does not make it universally acceptable or justifiable to use foul language and those that defend that tendency do seem obsessed by their right to use expletives on a public forum.

As I say - all part of the general lowering of standards to the lowest common denominator and the rapid dumbing down of the nation.

After one visit I have left it well alone as the inane and uninformative nonsense is just too much to wade through for the occasional witty gem.

That is why I asked earlier if it had changed recently - to which the reply came back - yes - it's got worse if anything?

I do respect your 'right' to be offensive but that does not mean that I have to agree with it but I am not at all sure that you appreciate that - how hard can it be?

Guest pelmetman
Tracker - 2014-12-12 7:03 PM

Just because it is not compulsory to visit that website does not make it universally acceptable or justifiable to use foul language and those that defend that tendency do seem obsessed by their right to use expletives on a public forum.

As I say - all part of the general lowering of standards to the lowest common denominator and the rapid dumbing down of the nation.

After one visit I have left it well alone as the inane and uninformative nonsense is just too much to wade through for the occasional witty gem.

That is why I asked earlier if it had changed recently - to which the reply came back - yes - it's got worse if anything?

I do respect your 'right' to be offensive but that does not mean that I have to agree with it but I am not at all sure that you appreciate that - how hard can it be?

Or alternatively that by enforcing censorship of a persons form of expression, then we are suppressing their right to freely express their views :-| .............indeed, I'm of the opinion that educated snobs like to use a persons choice of expression as a means to label and belittle folk *-) ..............yet as we frequently discover education is no replacement for intelligence :D ...............

Tracker - 2014-12-12 7:03 PM

How hard can it be to be offensive WITHOUT swearing,

very easy judging by some of your postings. ;-)

Or do you think the absence of swear words make your offensive comments more palatable for the crowd, your a pompous ass my friend.

No indignation whatsoever Tracker. Nothing to be indignant about.

I was merely observing that there was a certain irony in your position and agreeing that you have a perfect right to have personal standards while observing that others have exactly the same rights, even if they don't share your personal standards.

Nothing there to take issue with I hope?

If not perhaps we can leave it there? Alan.

• 3 weeks later...

Getting back to E bikes in Spain, I've traced the wiring from throttle back to wiring cover and found the wires on a push fit socket . I've marked the wires with coloured tape so that when we are back in Spain I can remove the cover and disconnect the throttle, and use the bike on pedal assist only.

I've also removed the 38 toothed crank and fitted a 46 toothed crank (Ebay) to make the gearing better suited for me.

John

mike 202 - 2014-12-30 10:07 AM

John I have been looking at increasing the gearing on my cheepo Chinese electric folding bike, so will you please publish the name of the supplier of your chai set. Many thanks Mike

Here you are Mike £14-99 Ebay.

Bike Bicycle Fixed Single Speed Ring Alloy Crank Set Multi Chain Set 3/32"

I also bought the crank puller as well only a few pounds from ebay.

John.

Archived