Video whilst driving

AJ46

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
freelover - 2019-11-14 9:28 AM

Don't wanna start a new thread. I prefer this and expect someone is still reading. So I have to install to dash cam, what would it be? I don't need Chinese products as recommended here. Something more durable and American spec would do. Any ideas?

Why American?

Just about all of these type of electronic products are manufactured in China. Most are excellent quality.

My dashcam must be 7 or 8 years old now and still going strong. It was an unbranded model from iCar Multimedia.

Before retiring I evaluated the NextBase range of cameras and concluded that the quality was excellent. Several family members have this make and are happy with the performance/quality. Halfords sell this brand although you can find better deals elsewhere, Amazon?

Keithl - 2019-11-14 9:49 AM

freelover - 2019-11-14 9:28 AM

Don't wanna start a new thread. I prefer this and expect someone is still reading. So I have to install to dash cam, what would it be? I don't need Chinese products as recommended here. Something more durable and American spec would do. Any ideas?

Why American?

For durability. That's the only difference I have seen between Chinese products. I am writing from experience. What do you think?

AliB - 2019-11-14 12:20 PM

Just about all of these type of electronic products are manufactured in China. Most are excellent quality.

My dashcam must be 7 or 8 years old now and still going strong. It was an unbranded model from iCar Multimedia.

Before retiring I evaluated the NextBase range of cameras and concluded that the quality was excellent. Several family members have this make and are happy with the performance/quality. Halfords sell this brand although you can find better deals elsewhere, Amazon?

Thanks mate! 8 years is good. I'll check for modern model of the brand.

Wide angle lenses give distortion, I might be wrong but this also includes speed distortion. Across the frame it can be pretty obvious and head on it appears as though you are heading through a narrowing tunnel at a faster speed - just as shown in the video. Personally I would reserve judgement on the driver.

I have been seeing lots of recommendation for this BlackVue product. Don't know what spec it is, but the video looks clear and features looks good as described here https://dashcamcar.com/blackvue-dr750s-2ch/, I checked amazon and the price is too high at $349.99, would have loved to have that as it looks strong and more sophisticated. I also checked the Nextbase 322GW Dash Cam and its less than $90, pretty good as well and cheap.

I recently replaced my Mobius camera with a Nextbase 412GW after seeing good reviews.

The picture quality is good and reasonably easy to set up but the buttons are very sensitive to touch and can change settings if you don't handle the Camera with care.

The main problem has been a 'vibration' of the Camera's picture when driving even on reasonably flat well surfaced roads.

Chats with Nextbase Technical staff were inconclusive and it was only when I looked very closely at the Camera when in situ did I find there was a small gap on the Camera between the mount and the camera body.

I put four narrow width layers of electrical tape, one on top of another, to seal the gap and the Camera now works okay without any vibration.

I presume the gap is either poor design or sloppy workmanship.

The newer range of Nextbase cameras have a different mount arrangement.

Despite seemingly solving the problem I have little faith in the camera and will be sending a note to Father Christmas asking for a replacement by another manufacturer - hopefully he will oblige.

8-)

Resurrecting years-old forum threads is rarely a good idea.

This discussion originally concluded on 26 February 2015 and, with hindsight, it would have been better if freelover had started a new thread.

(I notice that there are 13 references to a “girl” on Page 1 of the thread and I’m guessing BrianBW’s posting was referring back to that.)

Derek Uzzell - 2019-11-16 8:02 AM

(I notice that there are 13 references to a “girl” on Page 1 of the thread and I’m guessing Bruce’s posting was referring back to that.)

I think possibly a mistype and should read ‘ . . . I’m guessing Brian’s posting . . .’

...........................................................................................................

Yes - I’ve made the correction - DU

Archived