Chausson 510

Hawcara

A while ago, I mentioned that my brother was interested in the 510. Having looked at one now, how does one secure a spare wheel as I cannot see where one could be put? It doesn't come with one, just the tyre repair kit. The waste water tank would seem to be in the postion where it would possibly hang from the chassis.

I am trying to get my brother to join the forum, but he seems rather shy!

Thank you in advance

:-D

Hi, We are going through the same problem but with a 717GA, so the answer may be a bit different. I think the easiest way for you is to get a bracket made for the rear bike rack fixing points and fix the wheel to this. I know this has already been done by some people. Bear in mind the wheels are not light. If there is enough room under the van possibly get an engineering firm to make a bracket with a lowering device, possibly difficult to get on and off and probably expensive.

An alternative solution is to get a tow bar and tow bar mounted carrier fitted.

Here is an example, the first I found through Google so no recommendation, Link.

You may be able to get a local engineering firm to make something more suitable for less money, always worth asking.

Keith.

Hi,

I have a Chausson 510. When I ordered it the lack of a spare wheel was a major concern for me. The dealer had one fitted right in the middle of the van, underneath. It is not ideally placed for access, but as I wouldn't be changing it anyway the breakdown firm would have a decent jack and be able to get it.

Following on from another posting, while I was at the NEC Show I looked over a Ford-based Chausson 510 that had a gas-oven above the fridge/freezer. I checked how the oven was fitted and it seemed to be pretty tight in its enclosure on the bottom and sides, but not necessarily along its top edge.

I noticed that some Rapido models have the same oven-above-fridge/freezer arrangement, but there’s a separate interior vent above the oven to disperse heat from its enclosure and no exterior grille - hence no draughts from outside.

(Incidentally, it seems from the Ford Transit handbook that the current Mk 8s have Euro 6 diesel motors and a 21-litre tank to carry Adblue exhaust fluid. This tank is replenished via a separate filler next to the normal diesel fuel-filler.)

Have a 510 and not worried about a spare wheel, should I be?

Haven't had a spare wheel since 2000 on a car, since ??? on my motorbikes. For punctures I've either used a can of something or phoned breakdown....but I can count them on the fingers of one hand.

BeefyJ - 2015-02-24 10:51 PM

Have a 510 and not worried about a spare wheel, should I be?

Nowadays many vehicles come as standard without a spare wheel, with just a can of ‘goo’ and a pump provided to deal with a (minor) puncture. If you buy a motorhome with this arrangement, whether it should worry you is down to your risk-averseness threshold and whether you are an optimist or a pessimist.

Being a pessimist when it comes to punctures, I’d like a spare wheel to be provided as standard. If a spare wheel were offered as an option I’d opt for it (as long as I knew exactly what I’d be getting!) and, if it were not an option but it was plain that a spare wheel could easily be carried (eg. the motorhome had sufficient internal storage to accommodate the spare) I’d obtain the appropriate wheel/tyre myself.

I want to be in a position to deal with a puncture myself and if it became plain that, although a spare wheel could be carried, the method involved would make access to the wheel very difficult, I’d probably not bother. So I might well not choose the route taken by shosta, nor would I want to mount a spare wheel externally as some forum-members have chosen to do.

Essentially, I’d carry a spare wheel if it was fairly straightforward to do so and the wheel was reasonably accessible, but I’m not risk-averse enough to HAVE to carry a spare.

If a motorhome’s tyre has a slow puncture, a “Fix & Go”-type kit may be able to deal with it. But it’s often (probably more often than not) that, when a motorhome tyre punctures, the tyre is damaged beyond repair. This situation can be addressed easily if you have a spare wheel but, if not, even if a breakdown firm attends the scene, a suitable replacement tyre will still need to be obtained. Puncture on the autoroute on a Saturday evening on the way to catch the midnight ferry to the UK and, if you haven’t got a spare wheel, there’s every chance you’ll still be in France on Monday.

Derek Uzzell - 2015-02-24 5:24 PM

...(Incidentally, it seems from the Ford Transit handbook that the current Mk 8s have Euro 6 diesel motors and a 21-litre tank to carry Adblue exhaust fluid. This tank is replenished via a separate filler next to the normal diesel fuel-filler.)

What I said above may have been overly simplistic.

It will be seen from the following

http://www.ford.co.uk/FordFleet/NewsAndReviews/FordForBusiness/2014/January/All-NewFordTransitOffersbest-in-classCost

that, when Ford introduced the Transit Mk 8, there were several different ‘flavours’ for the 2.2litre diesel motor – 100PS/125PS/155PS Euro 5 versions as standard, with optional 125PS/155PS Euro 6 “HDT6” powerplants. (In fact, all these engine variants had also been available on late-model Transit Mk 7s.)

Only HDT6 Euro 6 motors have an Adblue system, but I’m not 100% sure whether Benimar, Chausson and Roller Team Ford Transit-based coachbuilt motorhomes have HDT6 motors or the Euro 5 engines.

It’s easy enough to check if a Transit Mk 8 has an HDT6 motor, as opening the fuel-filler flap will reveal either two separate filler-caps (one for diesel and one for Adblue - hence the motor is an HDT6 and Euro 6-compliant) or just a single diesel-fuel cap (hence the motor is a Euro 5 non-Adblue version).

This may be of interest

http://www.clm.co.uk/euro6-emissions-ad-blue/

As is mentioned on the above link, when the contents-level of a Transit’s Adblue tank drops to a predetermined point, warnings begin to be issued to the driver. Should the driver ignore those warnings and the tank is allowed to reach empty, the Transit’s electronics turn nasty and the motor won’t restart until the tank is replenished. Fuller details can be found in the relevant sections of the Transit Owner’s Manual that can be downloaded from here

http://www.ford.co.uk/OwnerServices/Owners-Manual?selectedYear=2015&selectedModel=Transit+%282014%29

(The Adblue tank of a Transit Mk 8-based motorhome should not require topping up very often – I’d guesstimate a minimum mileage of 5000 from full to empty.)

As Adblue is widely used in diesel vehicles nowadays, it should be relatively straightforward to obtain in the UK or abroad.

http://www.findadblue.com/

Derek Uzzell - 2015-02-25 9:43 AM

Puncture on the autoroute on a Saturday evening on the way to catch the midnight ferry to the UK and, if you haven’t got a spare wheel, there’s every chance you’ll still be in France on Monday.

And the problem with that is ... ?

Sounds a great excuse to extend the holiday!

(Hello by the way - I've not been on here for a couple of months or so)

Archived