Cab cameras

Patricia

Hi does anyone have any knowledge of these cab cameras? A friend of mine has been caught in an accident scam so I thought it might be useful to buy a camera as I drive alone. There is one for sale on Ebay for just under £18 but that seems too cheap to me. However, I know nothing about them.

Guest peter
Patricia - 2015-03-24 1:13 PM

Hi does anyone have any knowledge of these cab cameras? A friend of mine has been caught in an accident scam so I thought it might be useful to buy a camera as I drive alone. There is one for sale on Ebay for just under £18 but that seems too cheap to me. However, I know nothing about them.

The one I use was off E.bay and was the same price. Works well enough to be useful. Put up a link to the one you're referring to. But it depends on how deep your pocket is, as they can be over £200.

hi, I have a camera fitted to the front and the rear. this was after an off duty policeman hit my car with his motorbike. he was on the wrong side of the road coming out of a bend to fast. the sod knew all the ways to get out of fault. so I have now got a blackvue camera front and rear which I can transfer from car to van as I need. must say that its a good bit of kit, clear picture, gps etc so records all details in case of an RTA. I have used it for 3 years now with know faults at all. michael

I bought the DOD LS430W dash cam and it is brilliant http://www.dod-tec.com/index.php/product/detail/64

It automatically starts recording when you start the engine and turns itself off after you turn off the engine. It records in segments and re-records over itself when it fills up the sim card (although you can press a button to lock a segment).

It's full HD quality with GPS and we've watched footage taken with it on a 42" HD TV and it looks brilliant.

Well worth the money.

Way2Go - 2015-03-24 2:43 PM

I bought the DOD LS430W dash cam and it is brilliant http://www.dod-tec.com/index.php/product/detail/64

It automatically starts recording when you start the engine and turns itself off after you turn off the engine. It records in segments and re-records over itself when it fills up the sim card (although you can press a button to lock a segment).

It's full HD quality with GPS and we've watched footage taken with it on a 42" HD TV and it looks brilliant.

Well worth the money.

Your link doesn't seem to work.

Dave

Now working OK

peter - 2015-03-24 1:50 PM

The one I use was off E.bay and was the same price. Works well enough to be useful. Put up a link to the one you're referring to. But it depends on how deep your pocket is, as they can be over £200.

Hi Peter thanks for your reply. This is a link to the item on Ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAR-TAXI-Bus-Vehicle-HACKNEY-CAB-DVR-VIDEO-CAMERA-RECORDER-CCTV-/111138715654?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item19e0623806

Way2Go - 2015-03-24 2:43 PM

Well worth the money.

The link worked immediately for me Way2Go thank you. It looks very sophisticated but unfortunately it does not say the price but I am guessing that it is expensive. No phone number on the ad unfortunately either.

I have a roadhawk in my wifes car, Snooper HD mini in motorhome and the latest Snooper 3 HD which also does speed cameras etc in my car. Don't be fooled into getting cheapo ones, if you can't see Reg No's clearly then its pointless. There's an awful lot of rubbish out there cashing in. How much do you value your evidence of whatever incident you could be involved in.

Hi Patricia,

There was a recent thread on dash cams... http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Video-whilst-driving/37358/31/

I have a Snooper DVR-1HD and am very impressed with it.

http://www.snooper.co.uk/snooper-dvr-1hd-mini.html

It is 720p HD and gives a very good picture coupled with a very accurate GPS location which plots straight onto Google maps. The only downside for some people is the software will not run on Apple pc's, you have to use Windows.

It cost £99 although the official Snooper website lists it at £149 so shop around if you want one. Amazon was cheaper.

Keith.

I bought one of these after my son recommended it (Him being a Techno wiz) .I was nearly caught out by a scam accident in Manchester so decided to fit one, I find it simple ,it just plugs in and you switch it on, I have put a larger memory card in it for longer running time, a lot cheaper now than when I bought mine , but still a good buy. if you look on You tube the cab cams have helped other road users too.

http://eu.mio.com/en_gb/mivue-388.htm

I bought a MIO Mivue 518 from Halfords last week and used it for the first time this week on the way to The Lakes, it worked fine except I have turned the sensitivity down as in the van a bump in the road was setting off the Emergency recording facility which is OK but it fills the micro SD card up with locked files which then need deleting.

The camera has GPS tracking which is preferable if you need to use it for evidential purposes. it cost £90 which sounds expensive but I researched different cameras and this one had good reviews compared to others.

Guest peter
Patricia - 2015-03-24 4:39 PM

Hi Peter thanks for your reply. This is a link to the item on Ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAR-TAXI-Bus-Vehicle-HACKNEY-CAB-DVR-VIDEO-CAMERA-RECORDER-CCTV-/111138715654?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item19e0623806

That's the one I've got. So have a few van owners I know.

Just a note of warning that the use of dashcams in Austria iand Luxemburg s illegal with an on the spot fine. Do not understand why they are illegal given the number of webcams in both countries however they make the rules.

Patricia - 2015-03-24 4:39 PM

This camera has a basic recording resolution of VGA (640x480) and is software enhanced to give the higher resolutions.

It is certainly a good price although you do not have to pay much more to get a true HD 1080P resolution camera. (£23.64).

Mikey - 2015-03-24 9:53 PM

Just a note of warning that the use of dashcams in Austria iand Luxemburg s illegal with an on the spot fine. Do not understand why they are illegal given the number of webcams in both countries however they make the rules.

It seems the possible problem is " invasion of privacy " - which is being considered by several countries, even Russia, where most of the YouTube footage appears to come from.

:-|

That's amazing, since dash cams have no value except tio detect and deter bad driving and criminal activity. Is it illegal in those countries to set up cameras to detact shoplifting and break-ins too?

Strange but this is not mentioned by the RAC or the AA.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/touring_tips/austria.pdf

I can find no reference to it on any of the links to Austrian site.

Radar speed detectors are illegal and listed. Please point me to an official site showing the details of camera illegality.

AliB - 2015-03-25 3:02 PM

Strange but this is not mentioned by the RAC or the AA.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/touring_tips/austria.pdf

I can find no reference to it on any of the links to Austrian site.

Radar speed detectors are illegal and listed. Please point me to an official site showing the details of camera illegality.

If you Google " dashcam ban" you should see several sites relevant sites.

:-|

Can't ever see the being banned in the UK, we have cameras on almost every street corner and in every shop and bank, what differance to 'privacy' does a few extra ones on folks dashboards matter ?

Ban one, Ban ALL. The Europeans are 'Stupid Laws Mad' look at the French must carry a Breathalyzer debacle, Think I might vote UKIP, to keep the 'Napoleonic Madness' at bay.

Ray

Guest Joe90

We hired our local leisure centre to hold a private birthday party for our granddaughter, they told us in no uncertain terms photography was forbidden, so bans of any kind don't surprise me where ever or whatever they are in this increasingly mad world. .

As for dash cameras, a pal has a high end one that shoots in hidefinition, very impressive footage it is as well, except that approaching vehicles number plates at much faster than I'd guess 20mph are unreadable which seems pretty useless

Archived