generator question

ips

I know you get what you pay for but my mates Honda us much quieter and doesn't seem to do it as much if at all. It was five times the cost though. Good little genny lighter than the Honda just a pity it's not quieter they should do an after market silencer to improve it.

Guest Joe90
Apparently chucking them into a deep pond or river sorts them out as well, and sorts out the annoyance for good for everyone. ;-)

ips - 2015-04-13 6:49 PM

Is it feasible to turn the tick over down on normal mode as in not economy therfore making it quieter or does it not work like that

No.

My understanding is that the speed of the engine determines the frequency of the generated AC (50 Hz) so if you slow the engine you will lower the frequency and really upset things!

That's my understanding anyway and I stand to be corrected if I've got it wrong.

Keith.

Keithl - 2015-04-13 7:19 PM

ips - 2015-04-13 6:49 PM

Is it feasible to turn the tick over down on normal mode as in not economy therfore making it quieter or does it not work like that

No.

My understanding is that the speed of the engine determines the frequency of the generated AC (50 Hz) so if you slow the engine you will lower the frequency and really upset things!

That's my understanding anyway and I stand to be corrected if I've got it wrong.

Keith.

If it an inverter type geni then the speed makes no difference as frequency is electronically controlled

Hi

I assume it is the Inverter Model? If so the Output is electronically controlled. At Low output I suspect the issue would be mechanical, probably to do with fuel?. Have you checked the AIR filter?. A choked (Dirty) air filter could make the engine "hunt" too?.

Pete

Keith, you are quite correct.

Most generator sets use synchronous alternators, the output frequency therefore depends on the engine speed.

The reality is that many small petrol engines have cheap and nasty governors ie the speed control is pretty haphazard. In addition the alternators generally have poor voltage control.

Therefore expect wide fluctuations in voltage and frequency with load changes.

However, all is not lost. Many better portable generators now incorporate inverters. The engine speed is dependent on the load and the variable voltage/frequency is "converted" to a constant voltage/frequency.

The quality of this output depends on the design and engineering of the inverter.

These generator sets are more expensive but when running on low load they are much quieter.

For many applications poor voltage/frequency control is not a problem but for use in motorhomes I would recommend the inverter type.

Hope this helps.

Couldn't agree more with Joe 90. Keep it simple as in all things. A couple of years ago on a french aire we saw just about the daftest thing imagineable.

A frenchman started up his generator and then got a spin dryer from his on board 'shed', connected it up and dried his washing.

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, it was a perfect drying day! Just like today.

:-D :-D

Ron.

Archived