Auto-sleepers Kemerton

Mark  Fliss

Hi guys

Having enjoyed a day out in Peterborough on Sunday, we have gone off an Elddis and decided a Kemerton is for us. We particularly like the layout with the side door, large bed & small chair which seems to allow good access to the outside & awning. I would be interested to hear from anyone who owns one or is thinking of one. We would love to hear your thoughts on the pros & cons of this van.

The one we fancy probably will lack some of the 'toys' I want, such as a solar panel and bike rack. Can anyone suggest where we might get these and what we might expect to pay? We would also be interested in good, cost effective insurance & breakdown cover if you can help us?

Many thanks

Mark n Fliss

Do you mean the Kemerton XL, which looks like it is a reasonable layout but at that length and price so it jolly well should be! Nice bathroom but how much time do you spend there each 24 hours!

The bed making looks like a bit of a faff in the Kemerton so for us the Warwick Duo XL would work better and it may be worth a look at, if only to reject the layout, before you leap? Next show is Newbury 15th - 17th May!!

Payload at 365 kg before you add extras like bikes and racks, solar panel, extra battery (if needed) is not overly generous and is much less than the 6.00 metre vans, and neither is a 69 ltr water tank if you like to shower every day and are not going to use sites a lot!

Add ons like those mentioned are 'haggle' points and are always very negotiable with most dealers as they would often much rather provide add ons than take money off which is great if you want the ad ons on offer!

Hi

I would agree with Tracker especially re price and payload. With that load margin I would think twice about a solar panel and you my struggle on back axle weights hanging bikes on the back.

Also water tank is small.

It depends what you want to do. If you are in camp sites and plugged into mains electric water not a problem and don't need solar panel. If you stay off sites but move on every couple of days need more water but still don't need solar panel cos two batteries will last two or three days ( at least ours do but don't have a TV).

Better to try and get right first time ( says he who took 4 attempts before getting it right!)

Good luck

Peter

I think you need to do some more research - get a list together in ascending order of importance, then decide what type of van you think will suit - and start surfing the web.

Don't be too hasty - if you're not prepared to trawl the web, then buy the Motorcaravan Manual [i've never read it, but others seem to consider it a useful resource] or something of that ilk.

You have to do the leg-work regarding insurance, and add-ons.

Hi everyone

Many thanks for the replies we have received which have proved really helpful. We took the plunge yesterday and ordered the Kemerton after a good viewing and test drive. I was amazed at how well it drove & handled. We are really happy and looking forward to picking 'Bob' up at the end of the month. It isn't the XL but the earlier model which is just under 6 metres and does use the controversial 'Whale' water/heating system - I guess we'll just have to speak as we find on that one! As I suggested, there are a few bits that we'd like to add eg. a TV & bracket to fit in the cupboard, solar panel as we intend to do a lot of 'wild camping without hooking up (any links to wild camps would be appreciated) & a 2 bike bike rack. I would appreciate any recommendations anyone has regarding the extras mentioned. So look out for us as we'll be adding to the number of elusive Kemertons seen on the road.

Thanks

Mark & Fliss

Congratulations on your choice, Autosleeper are a very well trusted brand. Be careful when hanging bikes onto the rear doors. Some carriers have caused rear door damage. I would get the carrier fitted by the dealer. Then you will have warranty on the fitting.should any damage occur. Enjoy !!

Rayjsj - 2015-04-26 11:52 AM

Be careful when hanging bikes onto the rear doors. Some carriers have caused rear door damage

Or even better get a towbar and towbar mounted cycle rack fitted. That way you do not run the risk of damaging your lovely new Kemerton :-)

There are some really nice tilting designs available so you can still open the rear doors with the bikes in situ.

Keith.

Rayjsj - 2015-04-26 11:52 AM

Congratulations on your choice, Autosleeper are a very well trusted brand. Be careful when hanging bikes onto the rear doors. Some carriers have caused rear door damage. I would get the carrier fitted by the dealer. Then you will have warranty on the fitting.should any damage occur. Enjoy !![/QUOTW

We are booked in to have a carrier mounted on the rear door of our Warrick XL at the end of May and are leaving the fitting to the dealer. They tell me that although the rack they are fitting is supposed to be mounted using clamps damage to the paintwork on the door can be caused if the clamps allow the rack to slide down. For this reason they drill four small holes that will not show and put stainless bolts in to,stop any slippage. They carefully seal the holes which combined with the fact the doors are galvanised prevents any rust forming. We will only be carrying one light weight bike on the rack.

Tracker - 2015-04-21 8:19 PM

Do you mean the Kemerton XL, which looks like it is a reasonable layout but at that length and price so it jolly well should be! Nice bathroom but how much time do you spend there each 24 hours!

The bed making looks like a bit of a faff in the Kemerton so for us the Warwick Duo XL would work better and it may be worth a look at, if only to reject the layout, before you leap? Next show is Newbury 15th - 17th May!!

Payload at 365 kg before you add extras like bikes and racks, solar panel, extra battery (if needed) is not overly generous and is much less than the 6.00 metre vans, and neither is a 69 ltr water tank if you like to shower every day and are not going to use sites a lot!

Add ons like those mentioned are 'haggle' points and are always very negotiable with most dealers as they would often much rather provide add ons than take money off which is great if you want the ad ons on offer!

We looked at the Kemerton but preferred the Warrick XL which we now have. I must say it's the best made van we have ever had only two small niggles which I fixed in minutes though I must admit it took my wife to spot the knobs fitted to the cooker were on the wrong spindles. German quality? From what I've seen the quality on the whole range of Auto Sleeper products is as good as or better than anything coming out of,Germany.

One tip. I found the seat backs a very tight fit when making up,the bed made worse by the fact the bed is so wide. I've cut a length of thin slippery plastic to help. I put one infill cushion in then lay one edge of,the second one in with the other end up against the plastic which has been stood vertically against the edge of the first cushion, push down and it slips easily into place. The plastic sheet can then be withdrawn. During the day it's kept behind one backrest.

Having changed from a 2009 Warwick Duo to a 2011 Executive Anniversary my feeling is that the newer van is not as well made and lacks some of the detail that the Warwick had so if I were to buy another Warwick Duo it would be the oldest XL that I could find!

Looking at new vans in general including a new Warwick Duo in particular I think that this general dumbing down of quality appears to all converters as the years roll by and prices seem to increase by considerably more than inflation and the weaker Euro would suggest they ought to?

Purely a personal view!

Tracker - 2015-04-27 7:34 PM

Having changed from a 2009 Warwick Duo to a 2011 Executive Anniversary my feeling is that the newer van is not as well made and lacks some of the detail that the Warwick had so if I were to buy another Warwick Duo it would be the oldest XL that I could find!

Looking at new vans in general including a new Warwick Duo in particular I think that this general dumbing down of quality appears to all converters as the years roll by and prices seem to increase by considerably more than inflation and the weaker Euro would suggest they ought to?

Purely a personal view!

Blimey Tracker, you don't half change your vans often, Don't you ? have you now found your 'Ideal' ?

My First Van was the 'Grandaddy' of your Present One, a 1988 Monocoque Autosleeper Talisman (same colour way too I believe ? Corfu something ?). The rear Body will last as long as a 'Bristlecone Pine tree'. and with a modern Cab and electronics make it a desirable van.

Rayjsj - 2015-04-27 9:01 PM

Blimey Tracker, you don't half change your vans often, Don't you ? have you now found your 'Ideal' ?

My First Van was the 'Grandaddy' of your Present One, a 1988 Monocoque Autosleeper Talisman (same colour way too I believe ? Corfu something ?). The rear Body will last as long as a 'Bristlecone Pine tree'. and with a modern Cab and electronics make it a desirable van.

We had our first Talisman, a 1986 example, for over 8 years before the cab started to vapourise in a cloud of rust particles and then regularly changed every three years or so up to the Starlet which is probably the best van I ever had which we kept for over 4 years before making the big mistake of being tempted by a stonking deal and parting company with it, since when we have not been able to really settle, but I think this one will be our last as we like it so much. But never say never again as like all vans perfect it ain't but it does so much so well we can forgive it's foibles!

I first saw a new A/S Exec Anniv about a week after buying the Warwick Duo but they were only new then and the thick end of £58k with no s/h examples about.

About a year ago we decided the panel van really had been a downsize too far for us and began looking seriously for an Exec and when this one appeared at a very good price one day last month we quickly pounced and bought it same day. The dealer told me that he had 6 enquiries in the three hours it was on his website but we were the first to offer to put a holding deposit down and claim it for ourselves on the spot.

It was far and away the least expensive example that I have yet seen and I think as they are so rare to the market the dealer had not realised just what other dealers had been asking - which kinda makes up for the poor preparation and apathetic after sales attitude we encountered - you get what you pay for - and we did!

Our first long weekend trip was Peterborough and it all worked very well and with the list of jobs and mods all done we are ready for the ferry on Weds for a week's break to visit the Netherlands and the Keukenhof Gardens.

So far so good!

Archived