Scandinavia Ferries

Tracker

It seems that the ferries to both Esbjerg and to Bergen are no longer in use unless anyone knows different?

We wanted to re visit to Norway and Sweden and were hoping to avoid much of the long long drag from Calais / Dunkirk but Rotterdam etc do not really achieve much of a mileage or time saving for us.

Guest JudgeMental
have used Harwich/Esbjerg a few times in the past..Was there not talk of a new service from someone recently? ah yes that was DFDS which closed 2014. another way we went is Haritch to Holland ..that the best bet now I think

JudgeMental - 2015-05-21 1:36 PM

have used Harwich/Esbjerg a few times in the past..Was there not talk of a new service from someone recently? ah yes that was DFDS which closed 2014. another way we went is Haritch to Holland ..that the best bet now I think

Thanks Eddie.

I'm not convinced that, even disregarding the cost factor, a ferry from Harwich to Hook or Europort will save us much time or hassle as it only cuts out just over 100 miles each way as when driving direct we would not go anywhere near those ports, so on balance we tend to prefer the extra 200 miles to the North Sea Crossing!

The SNP - God bless 'em - are apparently 'talking to various people' about re-establishing links with Esbjerg and Bergen but I'll not hold my breath as I don't see anything happening until our EU membership issues are resolved - even if an economic case rather than a political case can be made?

Was there not talk of a new service from someone recently?

Yes, it was a company called 'Regina Line' Link but the expected date of their first sailing keeps getting put back! It is now 'Summer 2015' whenever that may be (?)

We are booked on the Harwich to Hook of Holland in 3 weeks time but would have much preferred the Harwich to Esbjerg which stopped sailing last September :'(

The difference compared to Dover Calais for us heading to the north of Denmark is around 200 miles each way so we're going for the longer crossing and less driving.

Keith.

Guest JudgeMental
Keithl - 2015-05-21 2:05 PM

Was there not talk of a new service from someone recently?

Yes, it was a company called 'Regina Line' Link but the expected date of their first sailing keeps getting put back! It is now 'Summer 2015' whenever that may be (?)

We are booked on the Harwich to Hook of Holland in 3 weeks time but would have much preferred the Harwich to Esbjerg which stopped sailing last September :'(

The difference compared to Dover Calais for us heading to the north of Denmark is around 200 miles each way so we're going for the longer crossing and less driving.

Keith.

Thanks!

Hook used to be a fast Cat? not sure now...

we visited our niece who (used to be live in Hamburg) hopped on puttgarden ferry next morning. Then its a choice between expensive bridge or cheaper (used to be at least) crossing to Sweden from Helsinger which is a regular and turn up and go service...

we used the Malmo bridge first summer it was open..very impressive and empty of traffic...

DFDS has a sailinjg from Immingham to Breivik ( south of Oslo) 2/3 times a week. It's basically for lorries/containers but it takes motorhomes and have 13/14 cabins..

They might even have one to Denmark and Sweden.

Lochburn - 2015-05-21 3:30 PM

DFDS has a sailinjg from Immingham to Breivik ( south of Oslo) 2/3 times a week. It's basically for lorries/containers but it takes motorhomes and have 13/14 cabins..

They might even have one to Denmark and Sweden.

Many thanks for that info Lochburn - I had not thought about freight ferries and I'm glad I asked!

There are indeed DFDS freight ferries from Immingham to Brevik, Gothenburg and Esbjerg and whilst I could not find the fares for Brevik or Esbjerg online I did find Gothenburg which works out at about £1200 return for a 6 metre van over 1.85 high so i assume the others will not be so very different?

Sounds a lot but it includes a cabin and all meals and if going to Esbjerg would save about 1400 miles round trip or Gothenburg 2000 miles or Brevik about 2400 miles. However these are freight ferries with no trimmings so I guess they are a lot more basic than cross channel passenger ferries, but as long as they are clean I don't see that as an issue for us.

When you consider the fuel savings plus the Dover crossing savings plus the bridge / tunnel from Denmark to Sweden it looks well worth considering and we will.

If anyone has used these and has tips or feedback I would appreciate it please. Thanks.

Archived