North sea crossing

Just had a quote for a North Sea crossing from Immingham to Brevik with DFDS seaways freight carrying ships for a VW T5 over 1.85 high up to 6m long £192. One passenger including cabin food and hot drinks £164. Plus £31 admin fee.

The rest of the charges: - Car up to 6m +1.85 high £144

Van over 1.85 up to 9m long £355

Van over 1.85 up to 12m long £480

Van over 1.85 up to 18m long £691

Passenger price is the same for all vehicles Hope this is of some help.

Is that single or return?

As a comparison we have a return from Harwich to Hook of Holland with Stena, June out, July return with cabin one way (other is day crossing) for less than £200. This is for a sub 7 m MH over 3 m high.

The downside is we then have a 640 mile drive from H of H to Hirtshals in the very North of Denmark. From Esbjerg it would have only been 180 miles!

Keith.

It’s just one way I’m afraid, Don’t forget on top of your 650 miles you have ferry or bridge crossings wear and tear on you van ect, its probable the more relaxing method to get to Norway or Sweden rather than the long drive round.

Living in the North West of England I have used P&O many times from Hull to Rotterdam Europort,bit expensive but for me its convenient,last trip I made was last September in my car cost £298 return including overnight Cabin,food was extra,i went from Harwich once and it was quite a bit cheaper but longer drive for me.

19721973 - 2015-05-23 12:03 PM

But the Immingham to Brevik is just below oslo in Sweden cuts out the long drive round to Sweden or Norway

If going to Sweden Gothenburg may be a better choice?

Both also avoid the two tolls from Denmark into Sweden which are not too bad under 6.00 metres but expensive if you are over as shown in the other thread on this topic entitled 'Scandinavia Ferry'.

Mind you the drive over the bridges is interesting and the engineering is pretty spectacular too!

Hi

Being retired time is not an issue so prefer a cheap Dover crossing ( about£100 return) and make the overland journey part of the adventure. across the bridge to Malmo was 3 days from leaving home. A couple of nights there and then some Swedish stops before crossing into Norway.

Similar heading to top of Denmark. We usually catch midday ferry, shop in France then stop in Ypres where you can walk into town for a beer and and the Belgium Chocolate essential supplies.

Peter

The ferry is primarily for freight. They will let you book not earlier than 30 days and no pets allowed.

If a HGV decides to take the ferry you will be bumped off and have to wait until the next ferry. That might be 3 days off.

I looked into it very fully, no ifs or buts, you might book a sailing but it isn't worth the paper it's written on.

Three days on the dock? Could be nice and sunny :-D

H

Archived