Engine battery charging.

Archiesgrandad

Archiesgrandad - 2015-09-02 5:07 PM

Is it possible that there is simply a poor connection at one end or other of the wire that connects the battery to the charger, could it be that big fuse, I did check the actual fuse with my multimeter and it beeped as it should, but maybe it will work with a little bit of current but not the full 12+ volts?

AGD,

I'll go along with your diagnosis, but add that the fault may not be just at "one end or other" of your wire.

To test where your fault lies apply a load to the engine battery via the control panel so the voltage displayed falls to zero. Then use your meter to measure the voltage of the starter battery with the negative on a good, clean earth point. You should read 12 point something volts. Assuming you get a reading follow the wire going to the control panel to the next connection or joint along its path, you MUST follow the wire very carefully and not just assume it is a continuous length, manufacturers add joints at weird places to aid assembly!

At some point along the wire the voltage will read zero, this means the 'break' is somewhere between the last good point and this zero point. You can then either find the exact fault or cut out this section and replace with new.

HTH,

Keith.

Archived