Route through Germany to North

Keithl

Hi all,

On Friday we are off on our long awaited trip to Iceland and the Faroe Islands and the first part of this will involve driving through the Netherlands and Germany to get to Denmark.

So do any of you seasoned travellers have a suggestion for the best route from Hook of Holland across to the Hamburg area please.

Google seems to suggest either the A1/E30 via Osnabruck or the more Northerly route of E232/E233 via Zwolle and Meppen. Both seem pretty similar on Time and Distance.

Has anyone got experience of either route, ie is one more scenic than the other or should one be avoided for any particular reason?

And then has anyone got any suggestions for an overnight stop around Hamburg, obviously trying to avoid going too far off route if at all possible please (and certainly not going into the city).

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Keith.

Depends a bit whether you want sites or stells. We went acros northern Germany last autumn via Amsterdam, so a not dissimilar trajectory. Stopped at Bremen on a municipal site, Am Stadwaldsee, which was newish, well run, clean, good facilities, and had a municipal stell right outside. It is just off the A27, on the northern edge of Bramen, with bus stops outside if you wish to visit Bremen, which is well worthwhile, IMO. Site/stell entrance GPS N53.11508 E8.83327.

We moved on Lubeck, which I guess is too far east for you, but we thought one of the nicest and most interesting towns we visited. Stayed at Campingplatz Lubeck-Schonbocken. Privately owned, well run, good facilities, and quite popular. Just off the A1 a little west of Lubeck, but again with buses to and from the centre. N53.86965 E10.63081.

Can't remember if either took cards, but be prepared to pay cash!

You need to allow time for hold-ups on either route, both because of the volume of traffic, which was quite heavy in both Netherlands and Germany, and also because Germany has embarked on a huge autobahn repair and re-building programme that is causing chaos pretty much everywhere. I don't remember any particular hold-ups on the route we took (broadly via Meppen & Cloppenburg to Bremen, and then via a largish loop detour around Hamburg via Luneburg, Lauenburg and Mammoor, to avoid reported congestion on the autobahn crossings at Hamburg), but the work will be moving around.

It would be worth trying to check for major roadworks on any route in Germany if you want to make good time, and choose routes accordingly. Some of the tailbacks were quite as good as any we create in UK!

From memory, the scenery was not memorable! Mostly the north European plain, so generally flat.

Hi

There's a great German website with videos of many campsites (Stellplätze) and although in German, there is still lots to see on the videos. Here's two nice sites north of Hamburg to look at. They are a great resource for route ideas and planning.

Friedrichstadt -

Wessenburenerkoog -

Regards

Alan

manxli - 2015-06-10 4:58 PM

Hi

There's a great German website with videos of many campsites (Stellplätze) and although in German, there is still lots to see on the videos. Here's two nice sites north of Hamburg to look at. They are a great resource for route ideas and planning.

Friedrichstadt -

Wessenburenerkoog -

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the links but have you ever used any of these Stellplatz?

I only ask as under 'Tourist Tax' they all seem to quote 'No Tourist' so are they a private 'club' or something like? Does anybody know please.

Thanks anyway,

Keith.

HI Keith

I've not used any sites in Schleswig Holstein yet, but we are going to call at Friedrichstadt in the next week or so. That's how I came across the particular video.

The 'Kurtax' is a small charge that some spa towns raise and is added to the charge at many campsites. In the film, he says that there is no kur tax at the site, in fact he jokingly says "They don't know what it is". I suspect that there are very few spa towns anyhow in Schleswig Holstein, they tend to be in the ex volcanic southern regions. Spa towns tend to be called "Bad ......." something or the other, which means 'bath'.

The WoMoClick series of videos are by a Swiss enthusiast who wishes to publicise sites for general motorhomers and he is quite in demand from sites and companies who wish to advertise their services. He lives not far from me in Switzerland and I suggested he puts subtitles on his videos too. Don't know if he will.

Regards

Alan

Thanks again Alan,

After looking at WoCoClick we are aiming for Hamburg Stellplatz for Saturday night. It's just off the E37 so is right on route.

Thanks to all who have offered help,

I'll post back when we get WiFi.

Keith.

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Well I did promise a reply so here are the sites we used on our journey North in June and then the return journey last week...

From the Hook of Holland we travelled to the Hamburg Stellplatz we found from the link Alan gave...

http://www.knauscamp.de/hamburg.html

And then on to the very North of Denmark to an ACSI site at Tversted which was very convenient for the ferry from Hirtshals...

http://aabo-camping.dk/

For our return journey we planned a slightly more relaxed journey, our first night was at Kolding in Denmark...

http://www.dancamps.dk/campingpladser/dancamps-kolding/

Next on to the site in Bremen that Brian suggested (we actually stayed on the Stellplatz for 15 euros rather then 34 euros for the campsite)...

http://www.camping-stadtwaldsee.de/home.html

And then finally to Delft in the Netherlands as it was only 30 minutes from there to the Hook of Holland for our ferry home...

http://www.delftsehout.co.uk/

All these sites feature in Archies poi's so co-ordinates are availabe for Sat-navs.

We would use all these sites again if travelling that route again but would look into camping cheques or camping Key as possibly cheaper that way than paying on arrival.

So thanks to all for the suggestions and I hope my feedback may help others.

And PS We had a fantastic time on Iceland and The Faroe Islands but more on that later :-)

I just imputed Puttgarden in my Tom Tom from Calais and hey presto I arrived at Puttgarden and got on the Ferry to Denmark, no booking required ,just wait in line for the frequent ferries, plenty of Aires and Stellplatz on the route all very easy. 

Archived