Question Regarding Gas

krusty

Hi, we are collecting our new (to us) motorhome on Saturday and I have a query about gas. We have blue canisters which we have used for our camping stove and in our wee camper van - will we be able to use this in our motorhome? It is an ACE Milano registered 2005. What is the difference between the blue and orange gas canisters - apart from the colour........

I suspect the short answer is no, there's likely to be different connectors on your new van to a camping stove. I'm sure other more knowledgeable forumites will be along to confirm.

Blue canisters are butane, red / orange are propane. No real difference except propane will burn more readily in lower temperatures - perhaps a consideration if you intend you use your 'van over the winter months (especially for those us north of the Border!)

Good luck with your new 'van!

Tommy.

Your Blue cylinders will work fine, Do you have a Wall 'Fitted' Regulator in your van ? (is it a relatively new one ?) all you will need is a high pressure connector pipe between the regulator and gas cylinder.

As has been said Blue = Butane, Red = Propane , most caravanners and motorhomers use Red Propane cylinders because they can be used all year round, ie. the gas remains a liquid(and 'gasses off') to much lower tempratures so, remains useable all through the winter.

This is 'mostly' true (cylinder colour) but there are some anomalies, like green and yellow etc., etc., but for the major supplier Calor in the UK it IS true.

http://www.caravanparts.co.uk/product_popup.php?cPath=67_231&products_id=920 Butane

http://www.caravanparts.co.uk/product_popup.php?cPath=67_231&products_id=2003 Propane,hand tightened. (very handy, no spanner needed)

Ray

Jusr re-read your post, you said a 2005 Ace Milano, this WILL have a wall mounted regulator, so all the above will fit.

thanks Rayjsj - I have no idea about the regulator in the van - must admit I was more bothered about the comfort of the bed when we looked at it!

The dealer said that he will do a full handover and demonstration on Saturday so I will be sure to pay attention.

Be cheeky and ask the dealer to include a 6 kg Propane cylinder :D Just say you haven't got one and smile sweetly.

If the dealer won't play ball you will have to find a local Calor dealer and rent one, Go Outdoors is the cheapest I know of if there is one near you.

The dealer should almost certainly include the 'Pig Tail' which is the hose to connect the cylinder to the wall mounted regulator.

Keith.

"If the dealer won't play ball you will have to find a local Calor dealer and rent one, Go Outdoors is the cheapest I know of if there is one near you. "

Or find a local plant hire company & get a bottle without a rental contract and for a lot less than a Calor exchange - my local company is currently charging £15 for a 6kg and £20 for an 11kg bottle for Energas propane. Vat inclusive "out of the door" price.

mgnbuk - 2015-06-10 8:37 PM

"If the dealer won't play ball you will have to find a local Calor dealer and rent one, Go Outdoors is the cheapest I know of if there is one near you. "

Or find a local plant hire company & get a bottle without a rental contract and for a lot less than a Calor exchange - my local company is currently charging £15 for a 6kg and £20 for an 11kg bottle for Energas propane. Vat inclusive "out of the door" price.

The OP is in Scotland and cannot get an Energas bottle as their most Northerly Depot is here in Gateshead. I buy direct from their Depot and paid £18.08 for the last 11 Kg bottle.

For Scotland, you could try ringing Flogas in Glasgow. Their depots are the former Macgas sites. If you go online and check the national coverage of Flogas outlets, you might get your first bottle free (no initial deposit like Calor charge) and you can exchange the empty for a full one at a lot of places.

Just for possible helpful info, I have one 11 Kg refillable bottle (Alugas) and an Energas 11 Kg bottle as reserve until I get an Autogas/LPG refill.

If you have a look at the Calor Gas website most questions will be clarified for you.

Why not take one of your gas bottles with you and even if the dealer will not give or swap one for you at least you can see the gas system up and working at hand over.

Do Calor dealers still swap Butane cylinders for Propane ones ? they certainly used to, it's how i obtained my 2x 6kg Calor-lite Propane cylinders. That for a 7kg empty Butane and a 3kg (?) Butane.

They seem to have all sorts of restrictions now ? why ? surely better to keep your customers by 'pleasing them' than Pixxing them off. They no longer have the monopoly they once had in the market place. sorry off track. But anyone know the 'latest Calor swapping rules' ? Ray

The current Calor cylinder exchange policy is explained here

http://www.calor.co.uk/gas-bottles/buying-gas-bottles/gas-refills-exchanges-returns

Where motorhomes are concerned, the bottles commonly used may be exchanged as follows:

4.5kg(butane) bottles for 3.9kg(propane) bottles and vice versa.

7kg(butane) bottles for ‘standard’ 6kg(propane) bottles and vice versa.

15kg(butane) bottles for ‘standard' 13kg(propane) bottles and vice versa.

6kg “Calor Lite” bottles may only be exchanged on a like-for-like basis.

Calor has a history of altering its exchange policy without warning. It’s also the case that some Calor agents may take a more liberal attitude to bottle-exchange than Calor’s policy allows, while others may insist on bottle-exchange being on a rigid like-for-like basis.

Archived