Convert florescent fitting with LED fitting?

michaelmorris

I'm investigating reducing the 12v load on my 12 year old Elddis Autoquest 200. The main interior illumination is a pair of Crown ceiling lights (217mm wide). These run on florescent tubes. Replacement LED fittings are around £45 EACH, so this is a non-starter. Is there any sensible way of converting these to LEDs?.

Thanks

IMG_20150530_105527821_HDR.jpg.e96b60aa29b3ba1d0c057ff4a3826f77.jpg

Michael,

In terms of power consumption it's hardly worth it BUT in terms of quality of light it can be a massive improvement.

Our AT had fluorescent lights above all the lockers (over 4 m in total) and I replaced them all with Warm White adhesive LED strips from Aten lighting LINK and the improvement in light quality is fantastic. In fact we never used the fluorescents but now use the LED's all the time.

Try sticking strips of LED's across or possibly around the base after ripping out all the ballast, etc in the light.

HTH,

Keith.

Hi

I replaced the fluorescent bulbs on my Autoquest 115 with these http://www.ledbulbs4u.co.uk/product/12smd-light-board-awning-board/, which I got at a motorhome show last year. As far as I recall it was a simple enough process but you might want to visit a show or contact the supplier direct as they are happy to help.

From memory, I had to identify the wires coming into the fitting through the ceiling then, having isolated the power, cut the wires. On the led, you have to cut off the bit that looks like it belongs on a tungsten filament bulb. Connect the led wires to the wires coming through the ceiling using a cable connector then stick the led to the ceiling with double sided tape.

Andrew

The fluorescent light on my van recently failed or more exactly went to half brightness. Replacing the tube didn't cure and Dave Newell confirmed my suspicion that the internal circuit board had failed. I tried to find an identical replacement light but the Chinese manufacturer had a minimum order of 3000 units so I spoke to Aten who supplied an LED strip of approximately the same length as the tube in warm white (cool white is an option). I then stripped out the circuit board and the carriers for the old tube and wired the the 12v feed through the existing switch on the unit. The LED is self adhesive and id easily glued to the base of the light fitting taking care to avoid the screw holes which attach it to the ceiling of the van. You need to make sure that you connect the polarity correctly or the LED won't work. I did my wiring away from the van using a 9v smoke alarm battery to test that it was working. Watch when you disconnect the light to power off the circuit and that other lights are still working before you fully disconnect/reconnect . The LED strip cost £11 including postage and provides much more light than before. All in all well worth doing. You may be able to get two strips in which would make a very bright light. Power consumption was said to be halved so doubling the tube won't in itself reduce consumption but may mean that other lights don't need to be on.

I am looking at changing the lights or at least the ones around the dining area.

I don't like the current light shining downwards, the OP has different lights so probably not an issue but my twin tube ones do glare a bit.

Anyway I bought a couple of cheap led (daylight driving) lights and have just wired one up to see where I might locate it.

First photo is one led tube (5w) placed on top of cupboard facing upwards.

second is original lights (16w)

_IMG_000000_000000.thumb.jpg.64ff6f67f2bc6d9e254983b9bc5229e3.jpg

IMG_20150617_224942400.thumb.jpg.5cbe997e6d44cf057ac3f02a1766dc98.jpg

Archived