Ducato under seat safe

Guest machra

Guest Peter James
machra - 2015-07-27 11:57 PM

Anyone fitted one of these under seat safes. https://www.frankana.de/Technology/Safety/Safes/Mobile-Safe®-<-sup>Seat-Socket-Safe-24888-EN-FRA;jsessionid=EDEF4F64214E2ED84634A744990AC2EA

Always found somewhere to hide valuables before but stuck in finding a suitable place in new van so thought an under seat safe might be the answer

Just to let you know the link doesn't work.

A safe is the professionally recommended solution because they make money from selling and fitting them

But you have to bear in mind the thief will see where your stuff is, and will use any amount of force to break in to the 'safe' because they don't care how much damage it does.

Never had a motorhome safe as there is always somewhere to hide stuff.

Preferably spread out in several places, not all eggs in one basket etc

What if the safe jams with all your essentials inside :-S

Hi Machra

We fitted an Alko safe in our Hymer motorhome in one of the seat lockers. It was a real nuisance to get stuff in and out and as a result we only used it once. We took it out when we bought our new van with the intention of fitting it in here - just in case we should need it, but it is such a low priority that it hasn't been done yet and I am not sure it ever will be.

I tend to carry our passports with us in a hidden pocket of my handbag and our motorhome documents get hidden in the van and car documents (should we take it) is locked in the glove box. I don't tend to take jewellery with me, but if I did, then coat pockets come to mind.

Guest Peter James
Keithl - 2015-07-28 8:30 AM

Peter James - 2015-07-28 7:58 AM

Just to let you know the link doesn't work.

Try this...

https://www.frankana.de/Technology/Safety/Safes/Mobile-Safe%3Csup%3E%C2%AE-%3C-sup%3ESeat-Socket-Safe-24888-EN-FRA

Ah, thanks for that.

A bit like steering locks we can't turn the wheel by hand so think its locked. A thief just puts a big crowbar in and snaps them off.

Worst case scenario I suppose if they are holding a knife to your throat and you have to give them the keys. Wheras if your stuff is spread out you can have a spare wallet with a few quid and your old bank cards in, and give them that. (lol)

(PS: I also have a secret switch so the van wouldn't start even with the keys (lol) )

Rather than mounting something under the cab seat(which a bit "predictable"), maybe look at mounting a box out of sight, under a wardrobe or cupboard base?..tucked in by the boiler/pump etc?...anywhere with restricted access..

Okay, it would be more of a hassle to use... but I would see that as a good thing....

machra - 2015-07-27 11:57 PM

Anyone fitted one of these under seat safes. https://www.frankana.de/Technology/Safety/Safes/Mobile-Safe®-<-sup>Seat-Socket-Safe-24888-EN-FRA;jsessionid=EDEF4F64214E2ED84634A744990AC2EA

Always found somewhere to hide valuables before but stuck in finding a suitable place in new van so thought an under seat safe might be the answer

Autosleeper used to fit a lockable door on the front of one of the seat bases. I have one on my Hymer labelled "Fuse Box" The van used to have a safe in the wardrobe bolted to a shelf but thought the wardrobe might go if I ever got broken into...which I have but still have my wardrobe. Like others have said spread it around a bit. Most break-ins last 30 seconds or so. Something hidden stands a better chance than being in a "safe"

Guest Peter James
pepe63 - 2015-07-28 9:03 AM

maybe look at mounting a box out of sight, under a wardrobe or cupboard base?..tucked in by the boiler/pump etc?...anywhere with restricted access.....

Bear in mind they are not going to care how much damage they do ripping out the wardrobe, boiler etc to get a crowbar in it ....

Peter James - 2015-07-28 4:19 PM

pepe63 - 2015-07-28 9:03 AM

maybe look at mounting a box out of sight, under a wardrobe or cupboard base?..tucked in by the boiler/pump etc?...anywhere with restricted access.....

Bear in mind they are not going to care how much damage they do ripping out the wardrobe, boiler etc to get a crowbar in it ....

So by that reasoning, we shouldn't even bother locking our vans, as it'll only lead to more damage when some scally crowbars their way in?......

I fitted a lockable seat box and swivel in our compass passenger side simply to lower the seat for Mag as the original squab height was too much for her. It's quite sturdy though obviously not a 'safe' in the real sense.

I agree that a van safe draws attention but I think most would have a withstand of a couple of minutes. I fitted mine with the door facing front so its awkward to get a crow bar near the door and have enough leverage.

All things are possible to a determined thief however and employing distraction and concealment strategies to hide valuables and papers is generally a good idea.

I think a good deterrent is having an entry level van like mine doesn't give the impression of wealthy occupants (which we are not). A thief with any IQ would surely exert his effort and risk on a much more expensive looking outfit in the hope of bigger rewards? Really don't know, it's never happened to me. I know people have and hear of stories but is anyone aware of any statistics on van break-ins, compared to say distraction robberies?

Hal

Best security measure, is to make the van doors deadlock, so making it difficult even if a window gets broken to open the doors. We have deadlocks on the cab doors, that can only be opened from inside the van, with a key, also two locks on the van door, one of which acts as a handle, as well.

Also wise to hide things in van as well, not that we take valuables away.

PJay

Did once have some-one try to open cab door at night, but being a light sleeper i heard them, and shouted out. (Hence the locks , put on the cab door)

Guest Peter James
PJay - 2015-07-29 8:54 AM

Did once have some-one try to open cab door at night

I've experienced that several times, but pulling any door handle sets off my alarm, irrespective of whether or not the door is locked. By the time I have got up and looked out there has never been anyone near the van so the alarm must have scared them off.

This is a photo of one of the door switches I have fitted which sets off the alarm. (cost about £3 each from Maplins) These door switches are the only thing which does set off the alarm, so there can be no false alarms.

314841577_doorswitches.thumb.jpg.13c9aa3a430f595efefd23345498d0c0.jpg

Archived