Bicycle carriers

Fellbound

As avid forum readers may have noticed I'm a new owner with lots of queries!

My MH has a dealer fitted Fiama Pro bike carrier fitted - the two bikes size, although I only need to take one bike usually. I tested it on the drive yesterday for the first time. I assumed the single bike should go on the wheel channel part of the carrier nearest to the back of the MH as that would help stability etc. However, the handle bars (I'm 6 foot 3 so it's a bike with a large frame) can touch the rear of the vehicle when it's on the inner wheel channel of the carrier which I guess might cause some damage to the MH, despite the rubber end to the handle bars.

Is there any reason why I can not put a single bike on the outer wheel channel carrier rather than the inner? The Fiamma instructions and their website are absolutely pathetic in explaining how to put a bike securely on the carrier - they simply concentrate on the carrier installation instructions with no advice for the end user. I don' t want MH or bike damaged or it to end up under the wheels of a following lorry somehere on the M5.

If you put 2 bikes on the carrier then one would have to go in the outer channel so I can see no reason to just put your single bike in that channel.

Keith.

PS As an alternative you can normally extend these racks to fit 3 or 4 channels. Could you extend it and move your inner channel back?

We always carry two bikes and loosen / turn handlebars sideways as suggested above.

When touring I also reverse the front wheels which shortens the length of the bikes by a few inches to avoid them sticking out beyond the side of the van. They stay within the overall width of the van, ( including mirrors ).

:-|

tonyg3nwl - 2015-08-14 9:46 AM

Hi, simple solution is as previous post..just slacken and turn handlebars at rightangles, .

it is preferable to keep weight of bike as close to body/rear wheels for stability, and hopefully minimise drag from turbulence.

tonyg3nwl.

Also to lessen the load on the rear axle - the further away from the axle the more overhang weight. (so I read)

I carry two bikes on my Autotrail. The fiamma rack design had to take into account the spare wheel carrier on the rear of the MH. It is tight with two bikes however after many subtle changes to the position of both bikes I found that the best method was to turn the handlebars through 90degrees as mentioned above.
Cheers Gary.

Thanks to all of you for the responses. They left me feeling like a bit of a wally because the obvious, simple solution suggested, ie releasing the handlebar nut and changing the angle, which took me all of 30 seconds is, indeed, the thing to do. Problem, such as it was, now solved. :-D

Archived