Ford Transit Mk7 - Clutch Cylinder leaks

manxli

Hi

My clutch pedal went slowly to the floor recently and I couldn't engage any gears. Pulled up the pedal with my toe underneath and presto! all was good again. Went to Ford dealer who said the master cylinder seals were gone and replaced said part at my wish, although the fault had not returned.

Anyhow I rejoiced too soon as one week later it has happened again. Toe underneath pedal and all good again. Internet searches point to the slave cylnder in this case, which I believe requires the gearbox to come out. aarrgh!

Anyone had the same problem? My 2010 Transit based Flash 02 stood unused for nearly 3 years before I bought it, so I suppose the rubber seal could have hardened.

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan,

I would hazard a guess from your description that you are not suffering a hydraulic failure but a mechanical failure of some kind on the pedal mechanism. I think you need a better diagnosis before agreeing to dropping the gearbox.

Keith.

PS Do Mk7 Transits have any kind of self adjuster on the hydraulic clutch?

Unfortunately it does sound as though the slave has failed.

Ford have a habit of fitting what is known as a concentric slave cylinder, which incorporates the clutch release bearing. This is fitted inside the transmission and does require removal to access.

If rhe garage has replaced the master cylinder and they are happy that this is now pumping hydraulic fluid, it probably is the slave.

To further diagnose it will need removal of the transmission.

It may be prudent ro have the clutch removed and inspected also whilst the transmission is out.

Hope this helps

• 9 months later...

Hi

Well nearly one year on and the sinking clutch pedal has occured 3 or 4 times since last posting. Otherwise all OK. Anyhow, Transit in for normal periodical service and I asked technician to check for air or the like in clutch hydralics.

He has confirmed, that the slave cylinder seals are not tight on high pressure and provoked the fault several times. So, gerabox off and new slave cyclinder !!!!!! About £650 in all.

Alan

Archived