Stellplatz in Pembrokeshire?

Gwendolyn

Just sat enjoying a glass of wine at home this evening, when a German motorhome turned up. OK, so we have our caravan and motorhome parked on our little piece [extremely tiny piece] of Pembrokeshire, and we do have hard-standing and an outside electric socket for EHU... but Stellplatz it is not.

Motorhomer was trying to make his way to the campsite behind the trees which separate the campsite 'next door' from the lane where we live. Missed his way, saw our stuff, and thought he'd stop the night here.

So we re-directed him... what would you have done? Allowed him to stay???

Oh yes... second time in a month this has happened. Previously it was a young couple with a tent - I suppose we could have let them pitch in the garden???

This must happen to others of you who have your vans parked up at home???

I'd have stolen his towels. Then re-directed him. It can be confusing for continentals in the UK.

That said, we stayed on a Swiss site some years ago and a couple of Polish campers erected their tent in the corner of our pitch. We didn't say anything. They spoke very little english but seemed a nice couple. Always smiling and greeting us. Plenty of room for us both.

Earlier this year, we were directed to park in the Coach Park when we had a day trip to Alnwick Gardens. When we got back to the van, all the coaches had gone. Whist having a brew, two Italian motorhomes turned up and disgorged the families and all their paraphernalia for an outside BBQ. We watched in amusement. Sure enough, somebody in authority came over and moved them on.

Passing the local hospital, which is just up the road, I did meet a German couple who had just been in the A&E. I offered them the chance to empty and refill their tanks and have a cuppa but they declined and went on their way. Just as well as they didn't seem friendly.

In the interest of English/Welsh relations, might be a good idea to post details of your garden as we do like Pembrokeshire. Do you also do a hearty breakfast?

...it is odd how one stereotypes nationalities isn't it?

Living on the edge of Sherwood Forest, we almost nightly take a four or five mile evening stroll, and one way or another, we usually pass through the visitor centre car park.

We see increasing numbers of 'vans overnighting (mainly midweek); all nationalities, but predominantly British or German (the two last night were German and Italian).

A week or so ago, as it was approaching dusk, we were stopped in the car park by an older Italian couple with a camper, asking us if there were any campsites round about. We advised them of the (not too numerous) possibilities, but warned that, as it was almost 9pm, they might have difficulty booking in anywhere.

When we said "people regularly overnight here", they replied "what, here!?" with a perplexed look on their faces.

It was one of the quieter times on the large car park (the local youth disappear quite early) and there is access to the visitor centre facilities from early in the morning, so it isn't by any means the worst place in the world to overnight. From my observations over many years, I had the Italians down as people who would overnight almost anywhere (and as close together as possible :-) ).

It would seem I might have been wrong.

It has been made it known to a select few on here that there would be a welcome, should they need a stopover in passing! Although I am not sure to where, exactly, anyone would be passing, unless to a ferry to Ireland. And yes, it would be 'cae'. Although we haven't got a field... just a decent place to park our motorhome and caravan and car and room for 1 more now that the boat has been moved.

As I am a village hall trustee, I did get the committee vaguely interested in opening up the large hall car park for overnight motorhome parking, for a modest fee, as it would provide a small income stream for the hall. It is handily, and quietly, situated at the centre of the village, in a square off the through road, and opposite the pub. The good village shop is a few minutes stroll away. But local politics got in the way, and the notion was quietly dropped. Shame really. But as well as the campsite to which I referred, there is also a CL in the village, and a CS just outside. I guess the owners may have had something to say.

When you think though of the number of village halls throughout the UK with good parking, it's a wonder that hall committees haven't joined together and established some kind of network.

Re National Trust car parks - no barriers. The one down at Stackpole Quay would be a lovely place. But I hope people would, if not members, make a donation??? To be fair, apart from in the towns, parking is not at all bad around here. Lots of surfers overnight along the coast.

Just the opposite in this part of Cymru, our local community council have prohibited motorhomes from parking on a very underused car park ( although they have no way of actually enforcing their ban ), and there are proposals to erect height barriers on our main sea front car parks controlled by Gwynedd council.

I was actually down your neck of the woods earlier in the year, due to a Hospital appointment, thought we'd have a trip down memory lane for old times sake whilst we were at it, and meander back home along the south coast, then up via the west coast.

Height barriers at Wisemans bridge, threats of doom and gloom at Saundersfoot for overhanging bays, and the usual no cooking, no overnighting signs at Manorbier car park,

and of course in common with just about any parking area in the UK, the ubiquitous pay and display machines in all of them.

In short, set up a free Stellplatz, I suspect you'll never be short of company. ;-)

Yes, but just above the beach at Manorbier in a narrow lane is a free car park, much used by surfers. It over looks the beach, has a wide grass verge and places to sit. Very pleasant indeed. Yesterday we parked there to go for a walk and there were 2 motorhomes there. One was up on blocks and looked set to stay, in the other, a couple were cooking lunch. Lots of wet suits hanging about. It's not unusual.

Around Freshwater West there are plenty of spots to park. All free. Always loads of motorhomes there. One very secluded spot in amongst the sand dunes is very sheltered. I could go on...... there are plenty of free parking places around here. [And mostly the pay and display car parks are free for 6 months of the year.]

I started this thread as a light hearted topic because I found the incident amusing.

Robinhood - 2015-08-22 4:15 PM

Brian Kirby - 2015-08-22 4:07 PM

Robinhood - 2015-08-22 10:54 AM.........................Welsh language lesson of the day.....

Unless Gwen has more than one, that would be "Cae" ;-)

Personally, I don't caeaire! :-D

Sais!

B-)

Cymreig! :-D

Gwendolyn - 2015-08-21 10:35 PM

Just sat enjoying a glass of wine at home this evening, when a German motorhome turned up. OK, so we have our caravan and motorhome parked on our little piece [extremely tiny piece] of Pembrokeshire, and we do have hard-standing and an outside electric socket for EHU... but Stellplatz it is not.

Motorhomer was trying to make his way to the campsite behind the trees which separate the campsite 'next door' from the lane where we live. Missed his way, saw our stuff, and thought he'd stop the night here.

So we re-directed him... what would you have done? Allowed him to stay???

Oh yes... second time in a month this has happened. Previously it was a young couple with a tent - I suppose we could have let them pitch in the garden???

This must happen to others of you who have your vans parked up at home???

Probably East German, Stellplatz in the back garden normal there, stayed at a few of them, nice experience the family make you feel welcome, language a bit of a barrier their second language is Russian. (lol)

Robinhood - 2015-08-22 10:54 AM.........................Welsh language lesson of the day.....

Sheer giggle making genius!

Brian Kirby - 2015-08-22 4:24 PM

Robinhood - 2015-08-22 4:15 PM

Sais!

B-)

Cymreig! :-D

Not bad, but Cymro would be better! 7/10.

Be fair - apparently I'm now a Saxon! (Well Sussex is the land of the South Saxons, so I guess it was a reasonable guess.) Welsh is very difficult for us proto-Saxons to learn at a distance.

Anyway, I read that Sais was a misconstruction of the Latin term for Saxons, which the Western Celts thought was a general reference to the English, and incorporated into Welsh. What a polyglot lot we all are! :-D

When I saw this subject 'Stellplatz in Pembrokshire' I thought that a campaign of many years ago had been resurrected. Does anyone remember a lady ( was her name Dawn?) trying to get planning permission to open an 'aire' in Pembrokeshire. I think that it was through this forum that she was trying to muster support for it. Or am I confused?!

John

Wirralian - 2015-08-25 6:12 PM

When I saw this subject 'Stellplatz in Pembrokshire' I thought that a campaign of many years ago had been resurrected. Does anyone remember a lady ( was her name Dawn?) trying to get planning permission to open an 'aire' in Pembrokeshire. I think that it was through this forum that she was trying to muster support for it. Or am I confused?!

John

Yes, you are correct, local council stomped on her plans, some even said 'it would encourage the 'wrong type' of tourist'.?? They much prefer folk who stay at Bluestone.

Me, I much prefer the North of the County, more relaxed, more friendly.

Archived