Do you regularly shower in you motorhome

Don636

No water either, Bulletguy, if the power goes off as several firms I know found out after refurbishing their staff and customer toilets.

Stayed on a site in Germany a few years ago which provided English [i think they meant British] 'vanners with a bathroom, complete with large bath as well as personal shower and toilet. Strangely, we were the only Brits on site and yet it was a very good site.

Brock - 2015-08-24 8:45 PM

No water either, Bulletguy, if the power goes off as several firms I know found out after refurbishing their staff and customer toilets.

You are thinking UK.......that site was in Serbia. They don't have power cuts! :D

On a serious note that site rates at my number 1 slot. Not cheap but set in a beautiful protected Nature Reserve. Novak Djokovic has a big financial interest in the place as the farm there manufactures and sells Donkey cheese....the only place in the world to do so. That also makes it the worlds most expensive cheese too!

http://www.odditycentral.com/foods/worlds-most-expensive-cheese-costs-1000-a-pound-is-made-from-donkey-milk.html

I have to say Don ROFL was close to what happened on reading the OP and considering what you posted on another thread.

Do we use our shower? Well yes and no, if on a site with good showers we will use those,but if on a site with not so nice showers or no showers like many CL's or aires then we use our shower, but we have none of the problems described in the OP, you see we have one of those nasty horrible continental vans with a shower in the middle of the corridor.

When not in use the washroom takes up minimal room, and as an experiment I tried using the toilet like that and it works but very tight, when in use the shower has plenty of room and better still when dressing you have choice of using just the shower room, or the entire front or back of the van in compete privacy, in over a quarter of a century of motor-homing I've not seen a better system in a van the size of ours. Are there any drawbacks? well of cause there are, if you don't think ahead you might have to wait 10mins before you can get the milk out the fridge.

We use the shower every day we are away, this year so far 5 months. We do not like communal facilities for all the reasons identified by OP's. We use the "sailor" shower concept to ensure we both have hot water rather than to save water. We usually stay in CP's where it is normal to connect to power, water and grey waste all of which takes only a few minutes on arrival & departure.The separate shower on our "Tracker" is a little tight so I do as described  above, I move out into the centre of the MH to dry off. Works well for us and the shower process in the AM is an effortless one.
Cheers Gary.

We only ever use the shower in our van , we made sure that the van we bought had a separate shower cubicle ,  and would be practical to use as we rarely use campsites ,even then we use our own shower .so much easier. Our van has diesel water heating which is almost instantaneous and will run HOT until the main water storage tank empties ,[as the hot water is not stored in a tank]  which of course it never does.

bertieburstner - 2015-08-29 4:04 PM

8 litres a day two showers how???? :-D :-D :-D

Very easily and as per previous posting

"If the concern is amount of water used, I presume people now that in a M/H you should have a sailors shower. ( turn shower on,wet body, turn shower off, soap body. turn shower on, rinse .) minimum water used.

Brian B. "

• 2 years later...
LarryDavid - 2017-09-18 7:52 PM

I have always used the shower in our camper! I didn't pay all that money just to have to use the campsite showers. In all seriousness though, she can store a fair amount and has proven to be reliable over the years. I enjoy the privacy too :-D

this thread is from the summer of 2015 so hopefully most have used their shower a couple of times since then :$ (lol)

I think it depends what you use your van for. Mine is my chariot for adventure, it provides comfort, food and cleanliness of an evening when I arrive back from a day out mountain biking, hill walking, Kayaking, Skiing or mountaineering or climbing - sweaty, muddy (usually both)

Walking down the final hill of the day pleasantly knackered knowing that the water is on the timer, and a cup of tea is not far away is a nice feeling.

I specifically bought my PVC (Campereve 643/Rapido V55) for its separate shower, and would not be without it. When not in use, the wardrobe lives in the upper section of the shower (swings out over bed), the lower section houses a bag filled with muddy cycling kit, or, for longer trips my wee twin-tub washing machine (which will run off my inverter). For me, motorhoming is about self-sufficiency, not having to rely on sites, and being able to park anywhere (usually at the start of the following days activities).

We are a varied lot us motorhomers - good job there are so many different vans to choose between.

Nigel

thebishbus - 2015-08-24 9:10 AM

If the concern is amount of water used, I presume people now that in a M/H you should have a sailors shower. ( turn shower on,wet body, turn shower off, soap body. turn shower on, rinse .) minimum water used.

Brian B. :-D

I'm all for saving the planet but I draw the line at having a shower with a sailor (lol)

I think motorhomers are all dirty beggers! :D we almost exclusively Wild camp or use aires and always use our own shower. On aires though as Mrs D has pointed out to me you never see anyone who looks like they just had a shower. :D it's true though. :D

As for grey water, easy to empty on aires and if wilding alone on grass, or scrub land just let it run straight through. I wouldn't do that on a car park but then I wouldn't stay on a car park.

The last time I showered at a campsite was at a basic, barely open, site near Barfleur in the Spring of 1999. There was no 230V hook-up and our motorhome’s Truma water-heater had stopped working on gas. It was an exciting and challenging experience, with a sea gale howling through the toilet block and no hot water.

Since then we've always used our motorhome’s shower whether we are on a campsite or not - daily when we owned a Hobby motorhome that had a proper separate shower. Our current Rapido has a less-convenient combined toilet and shower, so showering is now on a 2-day interval.

I seldom venture into a campsite’s ‘san facs’ (that caravanners appear to be obsessive about) though my wife will use them for dish-washing if hot water is present there and the weather is OK, and for whatever arcane things women do when they wash their hair.

Archived