Do you carry a spare wheel?

Malo37

Spare wheels are heavy, which is presumbaly why some MH manufacturers have followed the trend with cars and dispensed with them.

But I have ingrained reluctance to be without a proper spare, even though I have never had to use it on the MH and toured extensively abroad on a motorbike which didn't have a spare, when I relied on a roadside puncture kit. I never had to use that on my bike either but it was used on a companion bike and it worked.

The little car I tow on a trailer behind the MH has no spare but I bought one and carry it on the trailer, with the spare wheel for the trailer. I'm just a big chicken really!

StuartO - 2015-08-30 7:58 AM

Spare wheels are heavy, which is presumbaly why some MH manufacturers have followed the trend with cars and dispensed with them.

I suspect the absence of a spare wheel is more to do with reduced costs / increased profit for the manufacturers, than reducing weight..

Whether or not you carry one is a matter of how optimistic you are - if you don't think your tyre will ever be badly damaged, you will probably be quite happy without one.

;-)

Malo37 - 2015-08-30 7:36 AM

I see some motorhomes don't have one which seems a bit risky to me. Some have a compressor but that doesn't fix a puncture.

I would feel a bit exposed without one - how much do they weigh?

Probably the vast majority of new coachbuilt motorhomes nowadays are provided as standard with a puncture-repair kit comprising a 12V compressor and a can of sealant (example here)

http://www.fixandgo.com/

but plainly this will not deal with a situation where the tyre and/or wheel are badly damaged or a tyre-valve has failed.

Not providing a spare-wheel for a motorhome saves the weight of the wheel/tyre (say 20kg minimum) plus the weight of the raising/lowering/carrying mechanism, saves a significant cost, and frees up a good deal of space beneath the vehicle (or in a rear garage) that a motorhome designer can usefully exploit. If the designer has done this, it may prove extremely difficult or impracticable to retro-fit a spare-wheel under or within a motorhome.

Yes. Although my motorhome came with only a tyre-inflation kit, I got the dealer to supply a spare and tyre in place of it (and the tools for changing it). as part of the deal

As has been said already, there are two factors involved here: the weight of the spare and the cost of providing one. Mine weighs in at around 35Kg and the retail cost for my wheel and the tyre is around £300.00p. Nevertheless, I wouldn’t be without one and only recently had to use it a couple of Sundays ago. A tyre inflation kit would not have been any use to me then, and having a spare meant that I was back on the road in an hour – which included waiting for the AA – rather than having to be recovered.

My spare wheel weight 35kg and is strapped to the floor of the garage. I have it because I will never need to use it. If I didn't have it, I'm sure I'd need it!

Some breakdown companies charge for dealing with a vehicles without a serviceable spare tyre so check any cover you have.

Hi All,

I have thought about this and here are my personal conclusions:

1. Bin the tyre goo solution but keep the compressor. I have had two occasions with a car where the goo supplied just poured out of the hole in the tyre caused by stopping safely from high speed. Plus I don't know if it affects the repairability of a tyre later

2. There is no way that I am going to try to jack up a fully laden 3.5t vehicle with the little scissor jack provided. Not to mention the danger of being hit whilst doing so.

3. I don't want the weight of a whole wheel and tyre

4. I am paying for emergency cover who will have to come anyway because of 2. above. Maybe there's a wait? Perhaps but I have got a motorhome abd tea and coffee and food ... And I am alive and well!

5. Tyres alone are quite cheap and the chances of the rim (ie the heavy bit) being damaged beyond use is slim so my preferred option is to carry a tyre and let the professionals change it.

This is just my thoughts, may not suit everyone

John

Yes, I carry a full sized spare, van came with one on a purpose built rear wall carrier. Wouldn't buy a van that didn't have one, or at least provision for one.That I could add later. Same for my car, only a space saver, but still a spare wheel. And yes, I have needed to use both of them.Hence my refusal to accept a vehicle without one.

I would not buy any vehicle that did not have a spare wheel, it would be for me a complete deal breaker. Neither would I pay for one as an optional extra, if it was not included then their would be no deal!

I have been driving for many years (in excess of 45 years) and never had a puncture until having two separate ones in our motorhome around three years apart and both whilst on a holiday to France, albeit one occurred on the M2 on the way to Dover.

I can assure you that after the destruction caused by the puncture no amount of goo and pump up would have been any use.

I will try to add photo's and if you feel lucky after reading this and seeing the pics then make your own decision. Personally I would never travel without a spare whether a space saver or otherwise.

Bas

719583253_CopyofPICT0663.JPG.4cda30a55b496b655579d46ca67fa02b.JPG

PICT0657.JPG.e75f6d0cd5d550fc358e83268bd8b6d8.JPG

PICT0658.JPG.ff872f095a698eeac3f644277cdc302d.JPG

PICT0662.JPG.14893c8c11bd69fdd65a4128b8e01397.JPG

• 1 month later...

Would not be without it. I also carry a heavy duty jack. Although I would hope that professional rescue would fit spare if necessary we go to some pretty out of the way places so availability of rescue is not guaranteed.

We had a rapid tyre deflation (due to tyre valve problems recorded in earlier thread) on M6. We were stopped right on an intersection in about the worst possible place. Not having a spare and having to recover vehicle to a transporter would have been a big deal in light of the location.

As for payload you really need to cover this by careful choice and research at the time of purchase.

I suppose one option would be to carry a can of RAC tyre repair solution, ( or similar ) and try that first - if that fails - use your spare wheel.

Might save a bit of hard work jacking up the van - or calling someone else and waiting for them to do it..

:-|

The 'goo kits' are only effective for a straight penetration of the tyre , by a nail or similar and when the tyre fitter gets it they consider the tyre completely US. All my motorhomes have had spares the only thing I've got rid of is the totally useless side jack, great for an ordinary van but not a motorhome, besides the breakdown firms have better jacks. I recently bought a car with no spare and a spare wheel was a no cost option, so why didn't they supply it in the first place. A manufacturer buys in volume so a spare wheel would be 'cheap as chips'.

So many replies adamant about carrying a spare …...............….and in an ideal world ????

But there are any number of items that could breakdown and stop me moving.I would have to be towed to a repair centre, no doubt pay over the odds and have to wait for a replacement part.

To me the tyre is the same......................I would always wait for breakdown even to change a spare.Without a spare I get towed to a repair centre, no doubt pay over the odds and have to wait for a replacement(Oponeo reckon to deliver tyreswithin a 48hr window)As the OP said I am in a motorhome so can wait.

Of course I may be in the middle of nowhere,I may be low on supplies,I may be in a rush to get somewhere OR it may never happen.

webby1 - 2015-10-18 1:25 PM

So many replies adamant about carrying a spare …...............….and in an ideal world ????

But there are any number of items that could breakdown and stop me moving.I would have to be towed to a repair centre, no doubt pay over the odds and have to wait for a replacement part.

To me the tyre is the same......................I would always wait for breakdown even to change a spare.Without a spare I get towed to a repair centre, no doubt pay over the odds and have to wait for a replacement(Oponeo reckon to deliver tyreswithin a 48hr window)As the OP said I am in a motorhome so can wait.

Of course I may be in the middle of nowhere,I may be low on supplies,I may be in a rush to get somewhere OR it may never happen.

Reminds me of the poem , 'If ifs and ands were pots and pans there would be no work for tinkers hands'

It is just a question of minimising risk.

webby1 - 2015-10-18 1:25 PM

It depends where you are. If you are in Morocco or Easter Turkrey, or up in northern Norway ( all of which we have taken our Mhome to and may well return to) then accessing a spare wheel / tyres is much more problematic. That's why I carry a spare. I use ADAC who cover all these countries but it could still be a low loader home rather than continuing onwards.

Peter

Afternoon folks,

And what happens if yhou do,nt have a spare and you ca,nt speak the lingo ?

Nobody has mentioned the fact that you can actually use the spare by rotating the wheels to gain even wear thus getting more usage.

norm

Malo37 - 2015-08-30 7:36 AM

I see some motorhomes don't have one which seems a bit risky to me. Some have a compressor but that doesn't fix a puncture.

I would feel a bit exposed without one - how much do they weigh?

Even if the sealer fixes the puncture the little compressors they supply a not capable of pumping a tyre up to the sort of pressures required by motorhomes!

I'd not even consider buying a vehicle without a spare tyre. If the manufacturer wants to give the buyer a choice by making it an optional extra.

Archived