Pilote

superscoop

Well spent another 6hours at dealers, half cured loud noise, bed fittings were adjusted, now been told if it still rattles they can do no more!, how good is that after spending £55K. Other thing we are not happy about is no smoke alarm or carbon dioxide detector fitted, when we queried this we were told they are not required as it has sealed units, can this be right,

What model Pilote do you have, is it the drop down bed that rattles and where are the rattles - down the sides or directly overhead?

Is it rattles or squeaks?

No smoke alarm or carbon dioxide detector on mine either - it saves them a few bob and irritates the customers - whichever make of MH you buy.

Fit them yourself - I'd worry more if there wasn't a Spare wheel.

It is often extremely difficult to accurately diagnose the source of noise in a motorhome and - even when this can be done - it may be very hard to effect a complete cure.

As Will85 advised in your April inquiry about this

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Pilote-Galaxy-G600L/38076/

the vehicle needs to be driven in a manner that produces the noise clearly and someone experienced needs to try to pin-point exactly where the noise is coming from. Presumably your dealer tracked the noise down to the passenger door itself and, as you say the noise has reduced, discovered a fault in the door and did something to rectify this. It may be the case that the noise is due to Pilote’s design, or to the door’s design/manufacture. The dealer has told you that nothing further can be done, but it’s up to you whether you accept that.

Where smoke/CO detectors are concerned, as far as I’m aware there is no legal compulsion to fit these to new motorhomes. I suspect that the explanation you were given relates to the CO detector. Your Pilote’s gas heater and fridge are (should be!) sealed from the vehicle’s habitation area and, even if those appliances produced a dangerous level of CO, that gas should not enter the vehicle. Not sure if that would necessarily hold true for the gas oven (which I’m guessing your G600 has) and (sheer lunar-see says) the hob-burners will be ‘open’. Obviously, a smoke-detector helps to guard against fires that have absolutely nothing to do with gas appliances (eg. the occupants setting fire to the bed through smoking or an electrical fire).

My 2015 Rapido came with a 1kg dry powder fire-extinguisher (not mandatory and of debatable value) and a “Fire Angel” smoke-alarm, but I had not anticipated either being present as neither were in the standard specification. If they had been part of the specification and not been present I would have felt justified in complaining about their lack: as it is I’m happy to have the smoke-alarm, have added a much better fire-extinguisher and don’t feel a great need for a CO detector.

Must admit that I thought ALL motorhomes had to have smoke and carbon monoxide detectors fitted to attain 'approved' status within the caravan/motorhome world ? NCC , Is that requirement being dropped for some Continental manufacturers ? Surely not ?

Oh, and by the way, we can do without designated travel seats, and emission control equipment too ! (only kidding !). But you get my 'drift.'

This webpage

http://www.thencc.org.uk/our_schemes/cert_scheme.aspx

carries a link to motorhome models that currently have NCC approval and (apparently) the only non-UK manufacturer UK-marketing NCC-certified vehicles is Adria.

This Caravan Club Magazine article

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/media/9339143/ccmjultechnical.pdf

states that "To meet NCC requirements, caravans and motorhomes have to be fitted with a Type B CO alarm that complies with the BS EN 50291 standard.”

But as Pilote motorhomes are not NCC certified, there’s no reason to expect them to be provided automatically with smoke/CO detectors and no particular incentive for a Pilote dealer to fit them free of charge.

superscoop - 2015-09-22 12:55 PM

Well spent another 6hours at dealers, half cured loud noise, bed fittings were adjusted, now been told if it still rattles they can do no more!, how good is that after spending £55K.t,

Am I correct in assuming you've been rattling along in your van for 6 months without a cure? I'm puzzled. Are you the only person in the van?

In his April posting John (superscoop) said that his Pilote G600L motorhome had been obtained around February 2015 and had been returned to the dealership for a loud rattle in the passenger-door area to be investigated/fixed. John added that the dealer had been unable to cure the problem and planned to dismantle the door when “...we have time to go...” This statement suggests a) that John does not travel alone and b) that he had (fully understandably) decided that using the motorhome was higher priority than curing an irritating noise.

My Rapido has a rattle. It’s sort of metallic; it’s not very loud and it’s only evident when the motorhome is driven on rough roads. It sounds to me like it’s coming from the far right of the cab (the Rapido is left-hand drive) but my wife reckons it’s coming from behind her and possibly from the kitchen area. I’d like to investigate this myself but my wife does not drive the motorhome and I’m reluctant to have her wandering about in the vehicle trying to locate the noise while I try to provoke it. In John’s case it would appear that the location of the noise has been established, just that it’s so far proved impossible to fully cure.

Our standard X2/90 RHD cab sufferred from a 'machine gun' rattle from the passenger door over harsh bumps. It turned out to be the door lock 'pin' rattling in the catch plate mounted on the door jamb and was easily cured by adjusting the plate (2 Torx bolts). Perhaps the OP could give this a try.

I noticed the other day that the noise is back after a long absence though; the frustrating thing with motorhome rattles is that they're rarely cured for good. Things continue to move, shrink, expand, wear etc. and it's an ongoing 2 person job to keep on top of them.

• 2 weeks later...
superscoop - 2015-10-03 5:27 PM

If you have nothing sensible to add why bother.

Your April/May request for advice referred to “a loud rattle, lump type noise from the passenger door area” that your dealer had been unable to cure initially and who intended to have another go at when it was convenient for you.

Your 22 September posting said that the loud noise (presumably the same loud rattling noise from the passenger door area) was half cured after 6 hours at the dealership and mentioned that the bed fittings were adjusted. You complained that the dealer had told you that “if it still rattles they can do no more”, but it was ambiguous whether you were referring to the original door-area rattle or the bed. Clarification about this was immediately sought by Willy Wonka, but you did not reply until 3 October.

Forum members generally do try hard to be helpful when providing advice and, even when misunderstanding arise, people are usually appreciative of the efforts made to assist. If you can’t be grateful it would be better not to make this so evident.

Check your tyre pressures ....... the commonest source of motorhome rattles.

That might be the 'half' of the problem that is still outstanding.

As regards Carbon Monoxide detectors, you need one. I have never had a motorhome yet where the fridge was properly sealed from the Hab area. This was a double whammy when the Alde exhaust was near the fridge vents and the breeze was blowing on that side of the van. 8-)

Your Dealer was talking dangerous (potentially deadly) rubbish when they said you did not need CO detector or smoke alarm. >:-(

If you still have a squeak from the bed mechanism the only thing to stop it is a dollop of grease and any good dealer should be able to find the source and apply the grease.

If it's a rattle or tapping noise from the bed above your head – drop the bed to its lowest point, lift up or remove the mattress, look under the wooden lattes and see if the wooden blocks attached to the wiring for the lights have become detached from the plywood base – if they have then glue them down with super-glue.

Any loose wooden blocks will sound like someone drumming when you drive over uneven roads and it's bl**dy annoying if they are!

Guest Peter James

When I am driving a quiet car, one minor squeak or rattle irritates me.

But when I am driving a van with 100 squeaks and rattles, I don't hear them :-D

747 - 2015-10-04 10:35 AM

As regards Carbon Monoxide detectors, you need one. I have never had a motorhome yet where the fridge was properly sealed from the Hab area. This was a double whammy when the Alde exhaust was near the fridge vents and the breeze was blowing on that side of the van. 8-)

Your Dealer was talking dangerous (potentially deadly) rubbish when they said you did not need CO detector or smoke alarm. >:-(

Which is why I am appalled that Continental imports are not required to fit them. Ray

Rayjsj - 2015-10-04 8:25 PM

747 - 2015-10-04 10:35 AM

Which is why I am appalled that Continental imports are not required to fit them. Ray

There is no legal requirement in the UK demanding that new motorhomes be sold with ‘safety' equipment like a fire extinguisher, first-aid kit, smoke alarm, CO alarm, high-visibilty jackets, warning triangle etc. That certain motorhomes come as standard with some of these things, or motorhome dealers choose to provide some of them free of charge to buyers, or motorhomes must include some of them in their specification to gain NCC Approval does not alter the fact that a new motorhome marketed in the UK does not NEED any of the above items to be legally sold here.

Currently ten companies making motorhomes are signed up to the (voluntary) NCC Approval scheme - nine are UK companies and one is Continental European. That leaves a good few UK converters and every non-UK motorhome builder except Adia marketing new motorhomes in the UK without NCC Approval status. The NCC’s ‘blurb’ says that their Approval scheme “...provides the retailer with essential reassurance that a product meets the recognised criteria and the scheme itself is a crucial element of the good reputation of the industry”, but it would seem that those arguments have not sufficiently persuaded a lot of motorhome manufacturers to bother involving themselves with NCC Approval.

747 may feel that a CO detector is essential, but it’s no more a UK legal requirement to provide one in a new motorhome marketed in the UK than it is to provide one in a new car marketed in the UK, and that holds true for all the other ’safety’ items I mentioned earlier.

I don’t know how many UK motorhome converters whose products do not have NCC Approval provide smoke/CO detectors as standard, nor do I know how many non-UK converters do this. But no motorhome manufacturer marketing new vehicles in the UK is required to fit such detectors (and this applies whether the manufacturer is based in the UK or outside it), nor is a motorhome dealership required to fit smoke/CO detectors. A buyer may not be happy with this, but that’s the present situation and, if Ray is going to be appalled that there’s no compulsion for smoke/CO detectors to be fitted to Continental-built motorhomes, he’ll also need to be similarly appalled that there’s also no legal compulsion to fit detectors to UK-built motorhomes.

Thanks for that explanation Derek.

It makes me realise how good Tyne Valley Motorhomes were when I bought a used Burstner from them. They pointed out that they had replaced the Smoke Alarm with a newer model and fitted a Carbon Monoxide Alarm also. It may not be a LEGAL REQUIREMENT but it is something that many owners like to have in their Leisure vehicles. It's good to know that Tyne Valley Motorhomes take the future health and wellbeing of their customers seriously.

Archived