A bit of advice (please)

donna miller

We are looking at changing our van for personal reasons and have been offered two different Hymers of the model we want, there's not many of them available so choice has always been limited.

(No opinions please on whether our choice of van would be the one you'd choose as this isn't the issue.)

The first is an automatic 2.8 plated at 3800kg but with 71k on the clock, it has built in scooter rack, cruise control etc..

The second is a manual 2.8 plated at 3500 with only 42k miles but a year older.

We are considering the auto because my other half is diabetic and suffering with worsening muscle issues in his legs. Now never having a van with over 30k miles, would the one with the higher mileage be problematic? I know 71k is hardly mega mileage and has FSH (as does the other van).

We tow a single axle car trailer with either the bike ( a big BMW) or a Toyota IQ, not particularly heavy and tows fine with our current van, so any known issues with towing with an auto?

Impartial opinions might help to sway the decision.

Thanks in advance

Guest pelmetman

71k is nothing for a commercial vehicle, automatic too.... so a no brainer if it was me B-) ........

If its a proper auto box then a oil cooler might be advisable for towing, but I suspect its not traditional torque converter auto but one of those comfortmatic robotised thingies :-S ..........

Donna,

A question comes to my mind... If your OH where to lose his C1 and be restricted to 3,500 kg could you downplate the Auto and still have enough payload to operate safely?

I ask because typically autos are heavier then manuals and wonder what payload this particular MH would have at 3,500 kg?

Do you follow my thinking?

In fact how much payload does the manual have? could you work with it or is that the reason the auto is plated at 3,800 kg?

Keith.

Donna, it isn't a true auto, it is a manual type transmission with dry plate clutch and normal synchromesh gearbox. Both clutch and gearbox and electronically operated via servos. It can be driven as a manual, using the "gear stick" to shift up/down clutchlessly, or it can be left to its own devices to make gear changes as and when it sees fit. It generally works quite well, but is also prone to being caught in the wrong gear at the wrong time. It would definitely be a benefit to someone with restricted use of their left leg, providing they could live with its occasionally eccentric selection of gears. It just needs a bit of adjusting to, and getting to know, before one get the best from it.

Thanks Brian, sounds like the same as the little Aygo auto I had as a runaround, It's handy that you can also drive it in 'tiptronic' mode the same as the Aygo and our old Freelander.

I'm leaning heavily towards the auto for various reasons now as the mileage is obviously not an issue. I've always said the ultra low mileage ones we've had are not always the best due to very little use, at least with one with average mileage you know it's been used and not left standing for months on end.

...I may be wrong, but AIUI, unlike the current auto option, the auto box fitted to the earlier 2.8jtd engine (and only available in LHD), is not an "automated manual" gearbox, but a more conventional slush-box.

It certainly has only 4 gears (where the manual had 5) and is specified with auto gear oil as a lubricant.

It can, however, be used in sequential manual "tiptronic" mode.

In which case, please disregard my comments on gearbox type. If it is a conventional torque converter type auto, providing it has been maintained well, it should not suffer the quirks of the computer controlled semi-auto I at first assumed it would be. Only downside might be higher fuel consumption than the manual if doesn't have a "lock-up" facility in top gear to prevent the slight permanent slippage that is inevitable with torque converter autos. If it has a lock-up then even that proviso would seem to disappear.

Archived