Searching for a used Motorhome....which one??

Bulletguy

OK i'm trying to help some friends of mine. They've had motorhomes before but currently 'tuggers' and now want to sell up and go back to motorhoming. The 'specs' they've set are quite restricted so i thought i'd stick a post in here for some feedback.

They want a fixed bed, a garage if possible, 4 berth, and separate shower (enclosed door so it's not a 'wet room' type). Whatever van it has to be suitable for year round living as they are fulltime. Budget is £20k.

Any ideas on makes/models to look at?

Hi BG,

Try looking at Auto-Trails. Something like a Cheyenne 696G which will have a transverse bed over a decent garage and then will either be a Low Line making a double in the lounge or a High Line with an overcab double and again making a double in the lounge (so effectively a 6 berth).

2003 to 2006 should come in about on budget. A would personally go for one on a Merc if they can find it (just my personal preference) but it may cost more and there are far more Fiats about.

Alternatively if the Garage is not a 'must have' then there are several other fixed beds in the AT range, such as our Cheyenne 632 or some models in the Dakota range.

Keith.

Bulletguy - 2015-11-13 2:57 AMOK i'm trying to help some friends of mine. They've had motorhomes before but currently 'tuggers' and now want to sell up and go back to motorhoming. The 'specs' they've set are quite restricted so i thought i'd stick a post in here for some feedback.They want a fixed bed, a garage if possible, 4 berth, and separate shower (enclosed door so it's not a 'wet room' type). Whatever van it has to be suitable for year round living as they are fulltime. Budget is £20k.Any ideas on makes/models to look at?

That is exactly what I have. Benima Perseo 710CCX. Ducato 2.8JTD .... relatively simple & reliable. Probably quite a rare bird over here but there may be a few about. Payload might be an issue - we're 3850 so no problem even with electric bikes & a motorbike in the garage, although we don't carry water or a lot of UK food. 

This is one they've found on ebay; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mercedes-316TDS-LHD-6-Birth-Motorhome-with-Extra-Large-Garage-For-Motor-Bike-etc-/131649363150?hash=item1ea6e9dcce:g:MwQAAOSw~bFWQjea

My one concern over that is due to the 'extra large garage', there appears to be little more than a couple of feet between the fixed bed and the roof and it doesn't look like the bed drops.

They are currently in Spain and not back in UK until March so plenty of time to look around and i will have a look at those you've both mentioned.

Bulletguy - 2015-11-13 5:00 PMThis is one they've found on ebay; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mercedes-316TDS-LHD-6-Birth-Motorhome-with-Extra-Large-Garage-For-Motor-Bike-etc-/131649363150?hash=item1ea6e9dcce:g:MwQAAOSw~bFWQjeaMy one concern over that is due to the 'extra large garage', there appears to be little more than a couple of feet between the fixed bed and the roof and it doesn't look like the bed drops. They are currently in Spain and not back in UK until March so plenty of time to look around and i will have a look at those you've both mentioned.

If they are in Spain then they will see quite a few Benimars! They are made at Peniscola between Tarragona & Valencia. They should have a look at the secondhand market out there maybe?

I have to take the wing mirrors off the motorbike then swivel the handlebars so that we have ample headroom for us in the bedroom over the garage. We can adjust the bed height by about 6 - 9 inches

Keithl - 2015-11-13 6:07 PM

Well this one would offer a LOT more headroom over the bed but at the expense of the garage. You do get quite a large under bed locker in exchange though.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Autotrail-Dakota-Automatic-/171997996245?

And still on a Merc, a good choice in my books :-)

Keith.

I've emailed them that one. Looks promising even though slightly over budget my guess is that price would easily be negotiable.

laimeduck - 2015-11-13 6:20 PM

If they are in Spain then they will see quite a few Benimars! They are made at Peniscola between Tarragona & Valencia. They should have a look at the secondhand market out there maybe?

I've mentioned this to them. Must admit i'd never heard of 'em!

Rayjsj - 2015-11-13 10:13 PMBenimars are now imported into the UK, by Marquis I believe, AND they have the HAB doors on the UK side,to me that shows that they are serious about wanting to sell here.
Ours is 2004/5 and is full UK spec for the UK market. They were imported by RDH at that stage and a firm in Ireland I think. They are well made - solid, good joinery - but have their problems as do most makes. It suited us and we're generally very happy with it. 

Archived