Fitting external gas points for barbacue

Campfos

While van was back at dealers for annual habiation check. I asked about fitting a bullfinch external gas point as the cutting of holes in the van side is something I do not want to do as it brings up warranty issues.

As the van has existing 8mm gas steel pipe you need to use steel fittings as brass will not work.(olives will not bit in).

I have tried to find these steel fittings but not much luck so far can anyone tell me where I can find these fittings. I have tried eBay but only Chinese ones not too sure about using these.

Campfos - 2015-12-11 5:55 PM

As the van has existing 8mm gas steel pipe you need to use steel fittings as brass will not work.(olives will not bit in).

Says who?

I have always used brass olives on steel pipes both for gas and petrol/diesel.

Keith.

Keithl - 2015-12-11 6:33 PM

Or why not get the BBQ point fitted inside the gas locker? No drilling of holes at all then.

Keith.

Agree..It's what I did with our last van.

http://www.gasit.co.uk/leisure-gas-refillable-products/7-gas-pipes-pigtails-and-vapour-tank-accessories/1-way-8mm-tap-manifold-with-quick-connection.html

(I did initially look at an external point but there was nowhere that it could be easily positioned).

Hi Campbell, steel nut & olive type fittings do exist to work with cold drawn seamless annealed tubing. The brand I used was Ermeto which from memory was an American brand. You should be able to purchase from either a hardware/ plumbers supply store or an engineering supplies store.In a former life I worked with a centralised lubrication manufacturer and the installation guys used these on almost every job. No leaks with pressures upto 2500psi so gas pressure would be no problem. My Autotrail was fitted with an external BBQ fitting by the dealer. It is located towards the rear of the awning area at waist height. Location is ideal as if it rains ( yes it does rain sometimes) the BBQ is under awning cover. Our gas locker is down near the vehicle cabin door so not an ideal location to fit the outlet. Cheers

Geeco - 2015-12-11 8:49 PM

No leaks with pressures up to 2500psi so gas pressure would be no problem.

Gary,

We're only talking low pressure LPG here, after the regulator, not full cylinder pressure!

To put this into perspective for the benefit of the OP and others the regulator is set to 30 mBar and this equates to 0.4 psi. Yes, less than half a psi. You can actually blow harder than that!

The main thing you must make certain your joint is protected from is vibration and physical abuse ie pulling/tugging at the joint. As long as pipes and fittings are securely mounted I doubt you will have an issue if you use brass olives.

Keith.

Campbell

Steel olives are also advertised towards the bottom of this webpage:

https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/search/?q=olive

I’ve no experience of using this type of olive and (like Keith) I’ve just used a common-or-garden brass olive when connecting a compression-fitting to the type of steel pipework fitted in motorhomes and ‘downstream’ of the regulator.

Have you been told by your dealer that special fittings are needed because your motorhome has existing steel gas pipework? If that’s the case and you will be instructing the dealer to fit the Bullfinch gas-outlet (rather than DIYing it) I’d expect the dealer to identify and source the appropriate fittings to be used, not delegate those tasks to the customer.

Archived