12 volt socket

Richard J

Hi All,

I'm after more advice.

My Fiat Ducato 2.8jtd 2004 has a second cigarette type socket in the cab, it has a flap over it labelled "180 watts maximum". There doesn't seem to be any power there and I haven't found a blown fuse yet although I'm not sure what to look for in the list of fuses in the handbook.

Could anyone shed some light on it for me ?

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks, Richard

In the fuse box at side of dash there are relays for switching the power on for the sockets. TO1 is for the Aux socket, and T12 for the cigar lighter socket. Either the power for the cigar socket or aux socket also controls power going to the heater fan. (maybe worth checking if your heater fan works). I may also have the two relays transposed as doing from memory.

Also there was a craze for some owners to disconnect the Aux socket power feed and reconnect to permanent 12 volts so there is a possibility someone has done this and a user installed fuse near battery or elsewhere has failed.

sshortcircuit - 2015-12-20 8:55 AM

I simply removed relay and linked it through to permanently energise socket. You need to be aware that if you use excessively you could flatten starter battery.

If doing this check it does not also power the heater fan and if so then make the other socket life instead.

Richard,

Is the fuse live?

You can check the voltage at the fuse by inserting the tip of a DVM's positive lead into the small hole in the back of the fuse (without removing it obviously) and grounding the other lead. Check both sides of the fuse to make sure the fuse is good.

If you have power at the fuse then measure the voltage at the relay socket (but this time with the relay removed), one of the connections, either 30 or 87 will be live. (85 and 86 are the coil connections).

Keith.

Have you removed the socket and checked a) that both connections are in place and tight, b) that there is current at the + connector, and c) that there is continuity between the - connector and the vehicle body? Might be damaged wiring or a poor connection. If damaged wiring, probably easier to re-wire than trying to repair.

I would be suspecting an earth connection problem at this point?

Try testing the voltage between the pos centre terminal in the socket and a known earth point on the chassis or the neg battery terminal.

If that is sound try checking the voltage between the outer neg wall of the socket and a known pos point - like the battery terminal.

If you don't have a voltmeter a 12 v bulb with a wire attached to each terminal will do the same job.

I had to strip out most of my dashboard to repair the Heater control linkages (jammed up). When putting it back together, I found that the plug on the wiring to the cigar lighter had come adrift. I lay for an hour with my head next to the pedals and could not work out where the socket was for this plug. So I just left it disconnected.

Therefore, check the wiring behind the cigar lighter. But only do it as a last resort ....... I will never ever attempt to strip that sort of dash again. 8-)

My Ducato 2.8 JTD is an early 2006 so wiring is probably identical. So can I add my two pence worth in a desire to help.

Being of an electrical background I investigated the wiring of the two cab fuse boards CFB (LHS) and CFO (RHS) when the vehicle was new. One of the things that I discovered was that the the two connectors connecting the cigarette lighter were transposed.

If the same condition exists on the OP's vehicle it would make fault finding difficult.

The main supply to CFB is from 70A Maxi Fuse F01 in CVM (Engine Bay). It appears in CFB as the thick red wire at the left of CFB. This supply feeds to the contacts of relays T12 and T01. (It also feeds the radio, cab lights and several other items.) However it is unlikely that FO1 has blown as the effects would be noticeable.

When operated by turning the ignition ON, Relay TO1 connects to fuse F44 (heater fan), and F55 (cig lighter).

Relay T12 is again controlled by the ignition switch, and connects to fuses F52 (faulty socket), and F46 (un-designated empty holder).

The relay coils are supplied via 10A (red) fuse F31 at the top left of CFB, when the ignition is ON. F10 also supplies relays T13 and T11 and empty position T24 in the RHS panel CFO. T13 controls heated seat and rear socket, neither of which appear in my vehicle. T11 controls demisting in rear windows and mirrors.

If F10 in CFB is faulty you would lose all of the facilities controlled by the relays.

In my PVC the converter had plugged into terminal 86 (coil +ve) , of vacant relay socket T24 to supply power and control signal for auto retract of the step. F10 had been uprated to 25A to take the step motor current.

I considered this uprating to be a possible fire risk, and some alterations were made!

Is it possible that a similar connection been made, and that F10 has blown?

Check for transposed connections as I had. Does the heater fan work? If YES then F10 is OK.

Alanb - 2015-12-20 10:24 PM

Err Oooops missed or deleted wrong bit there.

Please read "connectors to the cigarette lighter and power socket had been transposed"

Same applied to out 2004 2.0 ltr Ducato but also one of the fuses had been removed so the cigarette lighter worked but the power socket did not put a fuse in now both work.

Before I solved the problem I had fitted a 12volt socket in the end panel of the bed and connected it directly to the nearby leisure battery with an inline fuse so I now have 3 12 vlt sockets two on the dashboard that are only live when the engine is running and the other is permanently live running off the leisure battery.

Alanb - 2015-12-20 10:16 PM

My Ducato 2.8 JTD is an early 2006 so wiring is probably identical. So can I add my two pence worth in a desire to help.

Being of an electrical background I investigated the wiring of the two cab fuse boards CFB (LHS) and CFO (RHS) when the vehicle was new. One of the things that I discovered was that the the two connectors connecting the cigarette lighter were transposed.

If the same condition exists on the OP's vehicle it would make fault finding difficult.

The main supply to CFB is from 70A Maxi Fuse F01 in CVM (Engine Bay). It appears in CFB as the thick red wire at the left of CFB. This supply feeds to the contacts of relays T12 and T01. (It also feeds the radio, cab lights and several other items.) However it is unlikely that FO1 has blown as the effects would be noticeable.

When operated by turning the ignition ON, Relay TO1 connects to fuse F44 (heater fan), and F55 (cig lighter).

Relay T12 is again controlled by the ignition switch, and connects to fuses F52 (faulty socket), and F46 (un-designated empty holder).

The relay coils are supplied via 10A (red) fuse F31 at the top left of CFB, when the ignition is ON. F10 also supplies relays T13 and T11 and empty position T24 in the RHS panel CFO. T13 controls heated seat and rear socket, neither of which appear in my vehicle. T11 controls demisting in rear windows and mirrors.

If F10 in CFB is faulty you would lose all of the facilities controlled by the relays.

In my PVC the converter had plugged into terminal 86 (coil +ve) , of vacant relay socket T24 to supply power and control signal for auto retract of the step. F10 had been uprated to 25A to take the step motor current.

I considered this uprating to be a possible fire risk, and some alterations were made!

Is it possible that a similar connection been made, and that F10 has blown?

Check for transposed connections as I had. Does the heater fan work? If YES then F10 is OK.

PLEASE NOTE: I INCORRECTLY TYPED F10 IN SEVERAL PLACES ABOVE WHERE I SHOULD HAVE TYPED F31. May I apologise to anyone who has been confused by my previously unnoticed error.

Alan

Archived