Australia motorhome hire 2017

Charles Chodkowski

Why don't you PM one of our Australian members on this Forum - Geeko. He contributes regularly to the forum and I am sure he would be able to give you some good advice.

Alan

Charles Chodkowski - 2016-01-31 3:49 PM

We will hopefully be in Australia from June to September 2017 doing a house swap on Magnetic Island (between Cairns and Brisbane) and thinking of hiring a motorhome for six or so weeks. Has anyone any experience of hiring once in Australia or is it best to organise hire in the Uk? Any other tips?

Hi Charles, if you are staying at Magnetic Island you will probably arrive in Australia at Brisbane. There are lots of MH hire company's located at that location and most are located near the airport. I am currently on the road in coastal Victoria and there are two travelling families one from Switzerland the other from Germany both in hired MH for  2 or 3 months. One family had a wizzbang and the other has a 6 sleeper C class on a Merc base both hired from Brisbane. Depending on what size you want you can try via the Internet the majors to obtain a comparison price - Britz and  Maui are two of the biggest. We hire a car in Europe most every year and we always book from Australia on the net. My experience with hire companies is that "walk ins" pay a higher price and locals often pay more than overseas tourists. The other reason I suggest you book from home is that this time of the year in Queensland is still reasonably busy (tourist wise) as it is winter and there is a migration north to avoid the cold in the southern states.. Somewhat like the English migration to the Med. I hope you enjoy you time on Magnetic Island you will be just a little south of some of the best coastal regions in this country. We spent 7 weeks in that part of Queensland last year. The big bonus for you is you will be bringing Pound notes and they are worth a lot more than an A$ at present.
 Cheers,

Archived