possible downsizing

Wallynnette

We are in the process of downsizing right now, pick up new Van on 11th Feb. From a 7.6 metre Autotrail Savannah down to a 5.99 metre Autotrail V line 600, been busy unloading our kit accumulated over 9 years of motorhoming, quite a lot of it hardly used.....just in case stuff, like my full socket set, Torque wrench etc.. which will not move to the next van. I will re- visit this thread in 6 or 8 months, and let you know how we get on ? Good luck.

Ps never had an Automatic motorhome, several automatic cars, all conventional torque converter ones, from the downright awful, a Ford Sierra estate, to the sublime a Toyota Carina estate. Wouldn't mind trying a Comfortmatic, but not the cost.The cars were company cars,so it wasn't my money potentially wasted.

Rayjsj - 2016-02-03 11:43 PM

We are in the process of downsizing right now, pick up new Van on 11th Feb. From a 7.6 metre Autotrail Savannah down to a 5.99 metre Autotrail V line 600, been busy unloading our kit accumulated over 9 years of motorhoming, quite a lot of it hardly used.....just in case stuff, like my full socket set, Torque wrench etc.. which will not move to the next van.

Is it the 600 Sport Ray, interesting layout choice and it will be good to hear how you get on with it.

Simpsons again Ray, or somewhere more local this time!

We too no longer carry boxes of heavy tools and spares partly because I no longer have the enthusiasm for tackling the oily bits but mainly because they are so much more reliable these days and if it does go wrong help is easier to source than it used to be in t'old days.

That said I will always carry a small box of spanners and sockets - just can't stop myself - but now have to inclde multimeter, fault code reader and smaller tools to reflect the change from unpredictability of oily bits to the unpredictability of modern electrics!

We find that two of the hardest things to store, often needing some ingenuity, are folding chairs, so good luck with that one too!

henrypartridge - 2016-02-04 6:02 PM

We downsized from a Bailey 740 to a Globecar Campscout and it's been a total success, we love it. It's 6.36m long, would have liked to keep to six metres but we wanted the single beds which I think the OP needs for ease/mobility.

No problem getting two single beds in a 6metre panel van. Mine has them and I'm over 6 ft with both beds being the same size. I prefer single beds because it's darn hot in the Mediterranean and I couldn't be bothered to climb over the wife for going to the toilet.

henrypartridge - 2016-02-04 6:02 PM

We downsized from a Bailey 740 to a Globecar Campscout and it's been a total success, we love it. It's 6.36m long, would have liked to keep to six metres but we wanted the single beds which I think the OP needs for ease/mobility.

Glad you like the Globecar Campscout.

There are at least 3 sub 6-metre PVCs available with fixed longitudinal single beds for 2016 (similar layout to the Campscout with front dinette and 4 belted seats):

GLOBECAR GLOBESTAR 600L EDITION

http://www.smcmotorhomes.co.uk/details.asp?id=810

KNAUS BoxStar 600 Lifetime

http://www.knaus.de/en/camper-vans/boxstar/boxstar-600/layout-plans/600-lifetime.html

Rapido Dreamer D58

http://www.dreamer-van.co.uk/fourgon-dreamer-d58.php

Tracker - 2016-02-03 8:16 PM

Thanks Colin. I am familiar with the fundamental differences (if not perhaps the finer point of all the techy bits!) between auto boxes and I do agree that a decent torque converter box is a far better proposition than a poor automated gear change box, but they too need to kick down for a quick overtake so don't always give an instant response, especially Mercs, but Jags are better!

The automated boxes seem to be popular these days no doubt because they tend to give better economy than a torque converter auto, and I believe are less expensive to make, and having driven a CRV auto I do agree that it is good - but then it's a Honda not a Fiat innit!

That said for the ultimate in smoothness albeit with a bit of high revving when you do boot it have you tried a CVT?

We love our Jazz CVT which is not shatteringly quick but it is nippy and does respond instantly at any time when asked. On another level entirely is our Lexus IS CVT which also responds instantly but with a lot more vigour than the Jazz - but then again it cost a lot more too! We are now considering a Honda HRV CVT as that too is a nice car - bit pricey though!

We did consider the Warwick XL as the extra length over the standard Duo would have given us enough extra and more accessible storage space to make life so much easier, but then we found our used A/S Executive which at 6.00 m, and only a few cm wider than the Warwick at waist level, and more or less the same height also did everything we want of a coachbuilt but in a compact design that makes it very little larger than the Duo - so we reverted to a coachbuilt. Only managed about 4 trips and some 6000 miles last year and we are delighted with both the van, how easy it is to drive and park and the purchase cost savings which left enough over to buy a boat - albeit a small one! The Exec does take semi cross winds a bit more than the Warwick did but it is by no means unmanageable and certainly far far better than a conventional coachbuilt ever was. I also accept that the Exec layout would not be to everone's taste but as compromises go it works very well for us!

Glad you like the XL, must say I do fancy air suspension and 150 gee gees but our meagre 120 humping more or less the same weight does the job very well all things considered.

We toyed with the idea of an A/S exec when they made a new batch of them some time ago but by they time we'd made our mind up they'd all been sold.

However I've had a great idea that hopefully will be available by the time we order our next motorhome at the October 2019 show so if your listening messers Peugeot how about fitting a Honda engine with their latest 7 speed proper torque converter box as an option? Maybe you could do a deal that includes one of their redundant facia designs where one can read the speed etc. It would knock spots off anything Fait has to offer. I'm not charging you for this brilliant advice but if you felt you would wish to show your appreciation why not supply a free base vehicle to AutoSleeper for them to build me a Warwick XL, Preferably if you reading this A/S where the back rest cushions used to make up the double bed are a snug rather than almost impossibly tight fit! I'm not getting any younger!

Tracker - 2016-02-04 9:36 AM

Rayjsj - 2016-02-03 11:43 PM

We are in the process of downsizing right now, pick up new Van on 11th Feb. From a 7.6 metre Autotrail Savannah down to a 5.99 metre Autotrail V line 600, been busy unloading our kit accumulated over 9 years of motorhoming, quite a lot of it hardly used.....just in case stuff, like my full socket set, Torque wrench etc.. which will not move to the next van.

Is it the 600 Sport Ray, interesting layout choice and it will be good to hear how you get on with it.

Simpsons again Ray, or somewhere more local this time!

We too no longer carry boxes of heavy tools and spares partly because I no longer have the enthusiasm for tackling the oily bits but mainly because they are so much more reliable these days and if it does go wrong help is easier to source than it used to be in t'old days.

That said I will always carry a small box of spanners and sockets - just can't stop myself - but now have to inclde multimeter, fault code reader and smaller tools to reflect the change from unpredictability of oily bits to the unpredictability of modern electrics!

We find that two of the hardest things to store, often needing some ingenuity, are folding chairs, so good luck with that one too!

Yes, it is the sport, and it has some pack or other that includes 2 folding chairs mounted on one of the back doors, plus an outdoor tripod for the table. Front lounge, reasonable shower .

Getting it from Continental at Crosshands.

Cheers Ray, I like the idea of built in seats so best of luck with it all and hope that Continental look after you and buying local has to be easier than long distance.

They always seemed quite friendly and helpful when we visited them and they did once help us out very handsomely some years ago by pinching a circuit board from an in stock used van when we had a problem with the heating and hot water system on the Tracker whilst on our way to Dover even though we did not buy the van from them!

Thanks for the heads-up on the Youtube video on the sub 6-metre vans.

Whilst interesting, non of the eight models featured had twin fixed beds.

I believe they all required scrambling over each other to get in and out of bed during the night, and some even involved use of stepladders also.

Hi Anthony, I can not assist you with a downsizing choice however I would like to make a comment on the choice of an auto shifter vs manual. If you were to chose a Fiat with the comformatic you will find this far easier for your wife to drive than a manual. Do not be put off by comments about that units occasional odd responses. I have travelled around 20,000 miles and probably experienced most of the odd decisions it chooses for a given situation. All of which would not put me off buying another one. The Ducato is basically a truck and as such will never be like a car. It does not handle like a car, brake like a car so it may be unreasonable to expect it to have an auto box like a car. I have had CVT autos (Audi) and traditional torque converter autos MB, Volvo, BMW. They all have different traits, none of which would put me off buying an auto compared to a manual. Hope his helps, cheers,

Tracker - 2016-02-04 10:28 PM

Cheers Ray, I like the idea of built in seats so best of luck with it all and hope that Continental look after you and buying local has to be easier than long distance.

They always seemed quite friendly and helpful when we visited them and they did once help us out very handsomely some years ago by pinching a circuit board from an in stock used van when we had a problem with the heating and hot water system on the Tracker whilst on our way to Dover even though we did not buy the van from them!

We went to them because they took on the Warranty work on the new Autotrail that we had bought at Simpsons, when they didn't have to, I appreciated it. They have serviced it every year since AND now we have bought a van from them, They didn't have a Savannah in stock when we wanted one originally, and we didn't want a long factory order date. This time I appreciate buying locally, even if they are 50 miles away (that's local for around here, as you you know !) The service department is particularly helpful, run by a nice lady, Lowrie. Ray.

Tracker, when you are in a hole stop digging yourself further into the hole!

The great majority of Fiat Comfortmatic gear box users are apparently happy with its performance although they are well aware of its limitations compared with auto boxes with torque converters.

Some of your comments appear to betray your fixed opinions.

For example I have noted that you believe that the Jaguar auto gear boxes are better than those used by Mercedes.

I have owned both Mercedes as well as Jaguar cars and could not notice any discernible difference.

In any case BOTH companies use ZF gear boxes. Enough said!!!

Rayjsj - 2016-02-06 10:57 AM

Off track, what has happened to the print size on this thread ? I need a magnifying glass to read it.

Its because of the large web link above - the page width has adjusted to try to accommodate it which means to read the postings you have to have a 'wider' reading pane which makes it appear that the text size has been reduced, if you zoom back up to the normal text size you then have to scroll right and left to read the posts.

Archived