VAT Disability , whats everyones understanding ?

michele

Ok so the ones that know me know I have disabled children.

Apparently some of the dealers state that the law is getting tougher and you have to have an adaption made to your motorhome. Why ?.

Stupid rule pathetic . I called the VAT office to ask for the criteria promised to call back but they didnt .

Is there anyone on here that actually knows the rules and why we have to have an adaption .

Cheers.

michele - 2016-03-04 7:08 PM

Ok so the ones that know me know I have disabled children.

Apparently some of the dealers state that the law is getting tougher and you have to have an adaption made to your motorhome. Why ?.

Stupid rule pathetic . I called the VAT office to ask for the criteria promised to call back but they didnt .

Is there anyone on here that actually knows the rules and why we have to have an adaption .

Cheers.

Hi Michele

Can't answer that directly but if you Google " VAT on mobility vehicles" I think you find a number of websites giving information.

;-)

I don't think the requirement to have had the vehicle adapted is a problem for MHs because features of a normal MH layout (such as swiveling seats) will usually count for that. 

The bigger obstacle is likely to be that someone in the family needs to be a wheelchair user.  It's simply not enough to be disabled in any other way, no matter how severely.  This scheme is for the benefit of wheelchair users, not disabled people generally.

I was struggling with hip problems when we bought our MH and I had a Blue Badge, so the dealer suggested getting the VAT discounted.  When he looked into it is was clearly a non-starter, there was a specific requirement to be a wheelchair user.  There is a VAT Notice on the subject.  It works on the basis of a self-declaration, so the purchaser of the MH has to make a formal declaration about the wheelchair bit.

My dealer suddenly got very cold feet when he realised that if he discounted the VAT  on the strength of my (false) declaration about being a wheelchair user, then HMRC might come after me about the false declaration but they could come after him for the money when they got around to checking his books!

See my trouble is BOTH are in Wheelchairs and Both will never walk or be independant in anyway .

They are both so small and physically they can not do anything . I dont need a wide door I dont need a D ring I dont need anything they offer because the children are not able to work there brains enough to even use a single adaption on the vehicle.

So both in wheelchairs and they want us to have an adaption ? why . Its all a load of rubbish they have had these kids on their system since the kids where born . One dept talks to the other its all linked BB out there . Why would we need any adaptions for children that will never ever ever be able to use them because of the nature of their disabilities ?. Crazy world we live in .

Their picked up carried in and plonked down in their chairs and that is the total extent of what they can do sit and look pretty .

DShague,

Thanks I know we are, we have done it before . Our problem is although these children are in wheelchairs and always god bless for the rest of their lives will be . WHY do we have to have anything adapted when they are phsyically and mentally not capable of using it .

We were going down the same lines a couple of years ago with our 20 year old disabled daughter who has cerebral palsy and sometimes needs a wheel chair. The wheel chair use is only needed when she has spasms for days or even weeks, so to that end we didn't qualify for VAT exemption.

However, the dealer we spoke to at the time seemed very knowledgeable on the subject and was adamant that one of the most important (and perhaps only) adaptations is to be able to secure the wheelchair to the MH floor whilst travelling. No other adaptations were mentioned such as wider door, ramps, washing facilities etc..

Have you seen this document? https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/vat-about-purchasing-zero-rated-adapted-vehicles-guidance-for-customers-vat1615

michele - 2016-03-04 8:06 PM

DShague,

Thanks I know we are we have done it before . Our problem is although these children are in wheelchairs and always god bless for the rest of their lives will be . WHY do we have to have anything adapted when they are phsyically and mentally not capable of using it .

I believe it's not just if they themselves use it, it's also for someone else helping them, in your case it might not apply but if it was an adult you would need a lift or suchlike as you would not be able to lift them.

Just having a rethink, the VAT dispensation is not because you or children are disabled, it is specifically for disabled equipment (have been buying a lot over the past year), if you don't need adaptions on the van you don't get VAT free. In this respect last year got a vat free wheelchair and transfer board, to load mother into the car, but the car itself had no adaptions so was not vat free.

Thanks guys , that's just it the whole point of my post . Disability comes with so many shapes & sizes . No two people are the same . Both my children as said will be in wheelchairs for life both totally different except for one thing in common they will never walk . One is 12 one is 20 both tiny . Because. Of the nature of Freddie's illness she is tiny at 20 her hands and feet are the age of a three year old . So she alone qualifies but will never get out of the chair and use the d ring etc etc wide door . Yes we will have a wheelchair rack put on the back but . If we wanted one with a big garage why in the hell would we do that ? Seems to me the dept of VAT haven't really thought about people and their disabilities . A person with cerebral palsy isn't suddenly going to get better . It just sums it up .

colin - 2016-03-04 8:33 PM

Just having a rethink, the VAT dispensation is not because you or children are disabled, it is specifically for disabled equipment (have been buying a lot over the past year), if you don't need adaptions on the van you don't get VAT free. In this respect last year got a vat free wheelchair and transfer board, to load mother into the car, but the car itself had no adaptions so was not vat free.

Yes, agree...

*Logically, the "VAT Free" bit, would only apply to the costs of any necessary alterations (*although it appears that that hasn't been the case in the past?...it's been on the whole vehicle 8-))

If a vehicle doesn't need adapting to meet the needs of any disabled occupant(s) it may or may not carry,them why should it be VAT free....?

Could you not just get something like some wheel chair tracking or anchor points fitted, just to make it eligible?

Michel

Does your local Health care, or maybe Doctors have any advice, or could put you in touch with some-one who really knows the answer? After all you are saving them money by keeping the children at home, and not in residential care.

Sadly there are people who abuse the system, and that reflects on the genuine cases.

Wish you luck, and let us know how you get on

PJay

PJay - 2016-03-05 9:27 AM

Michel

Does your local Health care, or maybe Doctors have any advice, or could put you in touch with some-one who really knows the answer? After all you are saving them money by keeping the children at home, and not in residential care.

Sadly there are people who abuse the system, and that reflects on the genuine cases.

Wish you luck, and let us know how you get on

PJay

Problem is at moment every department is feeling the budgetary cuts,

Take our case, mother stayed at home, she was getting £55 per week attendance allowance, her care costs where over £3000 per month, I asked adult social care department twice for a reassessment of her case due to the worsening of her health, they refused reasoning being "You are self funders we cannot justify the extra work involved in a reassessment", the manner in which this judgement was delivered to me p*ssed me off, she died two weeks ago of MND, I am now building a case for retrospective payment of costs under NHS continueing care costs, and making sure the (lack of) care worker assigned to her case gets special mention.

My disabled daughter has just purchased a VAT duty-free car through the current government scheme. Her wheelchair can be carried in the rear without any adaptions being required or requested, and there are none.

It appears to me that she is in exactly the same position as Michele, in that both vehicles are used to convey disabled people from A to B, other than one is a car whilst the other a motorhome. So why all the existing bureaucratic nonsense beats me.

From past company dealings with the VAT duty free system I can assure you that even local VAT offices do not understand it so others further down the line certainly will not. My advice is to put your case to the main VAT customs office at Somerset House for an answer.

Ron

Just to keep the powers that be happy we are having a wheelchair carrier fitted to the back of the vehicle . This worries me the reason . Should some mad driver plié into the back of us and crunch the chair we will be well and truly stuffed . No way we could carry them for ever to a hotel etc up stairs etc until ours got mended . At present she was in ressus again yesterday and they have kept her in at the mo holding her own . But taken by ambulance they can't fit the wheelchair in which is a pain ( not the paramedics problem ) when hospital say we can go it's a problem trying to get someone to bring her special adapted wheelchair to the hospital . Been turfed out a few times and told we can go only to be sitting or laying should I say awaiting her chair to turn up . This is her lifeline it's her most important price of equipment . So it's a worry someone may smash it . What bloody silly rules the VAT people make yet I understand shame there are no exceptions when you can prove the case is genuine . Guys that's for your help . Much love x

Why not just go with the flow and make life easier for yourself and get a motorhome with some adaptions,e.g. a wider door and a wheelchair lift. There should then be no if or buts and it should be VAT free.

peedee

peedee - 2016-03-07 8:39 AM

Why not just go with the flow and make life easier for yourself and get a motorhome with some adaptions,e.g. a wider door and a wheelchair lift. There should then be no if or buts and it should be VAT free.

peedee

Agree Michelle, get whatever it takes to make your life with the kids easier, you are taking the kids away with you, and giving them holidays and experiences they wouldn't get otherwise.You should not have to pay VAT on any vehicle or equipment that you have to buy to do it. VAT is a discretionary tax on behalf of the Government and the registered disabled should NOT have to pay it. Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Ray

Michelle

Get your Social Support Team involved, together with supporting letters from the children's Doctor.

Then get your local MP involved. Explain to him/her that HMRC VAT are confusing or unable to give a definitive answer to the issue. Yes there have been changes to the regulations & like all new changes they need to be challenged to clarify the regulations, where they are detrimental to some who have previously qualified. VAT offices may be under pressure due to the current financial turmoil, but that should not be to the discriminate against bona fide Users.

Michelle

Get your Social Support Team involved, together with supporting letters from the children's Doctor.

Then get your local MP involved. Explain to him/her that HMRC VAT are confusing or unable to give a definitive answer to the issue. Yes there have been changes to the regulations & like all new changes they need to be challenged to clarify the regulations, where they are detrimental to some who have previously qualified. VAT offices may be under pressure due to the current financial turmoil, but that should not be to the discriminate against bona fide Users.

Another possibility (if the MH you are looking at has a garage) Get some Fiamma (or similar) Extendable Ramps for loading the Wheelchairs.

http://www.agentfiamma.co.uk/fiamma-carry-moto-s-motorbike-carrier.html

Also consider the rear rack situation. I found using this method the wheelchair got soaked, even though it had a good fitting cover, on a couple of occasions, making it unusable until it had taken quite a while to dry.

Guys, thank you all again , so many to mention.

We have come away from the dealers a proud owner of the Rapido 9005 series , On the back of the Rapido we will have a funny contraption basicllay (I cant explain ) looks like one of them things you put a bike on . Anyway it folds up when not in use .

They have been very helpful and given us the paperwork for the VAT man so so far all looking good.

Thanks again to everyone x

Archived