Autotrail wire cable under drivers seat

lancepar

(?)

Mine, Maxi chassis BTW, has what appears to be original and unused heavy duty cable ending in a connector.

I've always thought it was there to add another leisure battery into the system. Now I am not so sure.

I've had differing answers from both Sargent and Autotrail as to the purpose and installation of this cable, so now I'm wondering if anyone on here can put me out of my misery (lol) .

Is it for an additional leisure or starter battery for example, have others the same set up and maybe added another battery?

Cheers

B-)

On vans supplied for motorhomes Fiat supply a hd 12v supply for the coverters to pick up it usually ends with a fuse behind a plastic panel at the bottom of O/S door pillar which is close to where you've found your wire is it permanently live

The cable is located in the void beneath the seat and it's a 2005 X244.

It's a bit hefty for heated seats.

(^) Just had a thought.......if I measure the voltage and compare it to the existing batteries, whichever the voltage roughly matches should give me the answer I'm looking for.

Adding an image showing the two part plug, using the forum method, which I assume I have to tick "Attach file after posting" if it fails I will use my usual method (lol)

Cheers

B-)

Plug-under-seat-web.thumb.jpg.9fd2d7517d2748a17e6b066fac79aa76.jpg

Derek Uzzell - 2016-04-06 6:53 PM

witzend - 2016-04-06 5:34 PM

On vans supplied for motorhomes Fiat supply a hd 12v supply for the coverters to pick up it usually ends with a fuse behind a plastic panel at the bottom of O/S door pillar...

Was that the case for a 2005 pre-X250 Ducato?

No X244 version Ducato has a 70A Midi Fuse (F73) at battery positive pole. In my PVC this was ignored by the converter, resulting in about 1metre of unfused cable in the engine bay. I have rerouted the cables to bring F73 into the circuit

It is an auxiliary power connection for charging additional batteries or supplying power for auxiliary equipment. You cannot just go connecting a battery straight to it as it will in effect be in parallel with the Engine battery and blow a large midi fuse in the battery connection box on the positive battery post , when you start our engine.

Some Motorhome converters use this connection to pick up power from the engine battery/alternator for charging the leisure batteries etc via slave relays and additional fuses. Others run their own set of cables from the engine compartment.

lancepar - 2016-04-06 12:10 PM

(?)

Mine, Maxi chassis BTW, has what appears to be original and unused heavy duty cable ending in a connector.

I've always thought it was there to add another leisure battery into the system. Now I am not so sure.

I've had differing answers from both Sargent and Autotrail as to the purpose and installation of this cable, so now I'm wondering if anyone on here can put me out of my misery (lol) .

Is it for an additional leisure or starter battery for example, have others the same set up and maybe added another battery?

Cheers

B-)

We had a KonTiki fitted with the same plug under the seat I was puzzled like you but I found out from Fiat that all the base vans are fitted with this facility to be used where the base vehicle is used as ie ambulance/police vans etc; to supply power to emergency equipment.

john.

I notice that this underseat socket has been asked about on-line before:

http://www.clubmotorhome.co.uk/forum/14-batteries-and-electrical/4819-ducato-accessory-plug-under-seat

It is said in the link that there is a reference to the socket in the relevant Ducato manual. This seems to be correct (with an associated drawing), but its location is a mite ambiguous. The description given is

SPECIAL VEHICLE SETUP SOCKET

Under the foot-board there is a special connector (fig. 116) that can be used by those companies that modify vehicles to connect an additional battery for specific equipment such as ambulances, mobile offices, etc.

Archived