DVLA tax renewal

paulmold

Used to get at least 14 days notice of renewal. Just received today (26th April) renewal for tax expiring on 30th April - 4 days notice. What would happen if I was away and didn't know anything about it until I got back. Having no tax disc means its easy to not know its due. Presumably ignorance is no defence.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the start of each year I make a note on our kitchen wall calendar when each vehicle is due tax, mot, insurance, service, along with every other notable event due and planned, so it don't get forgot.

Rocket science it ain't and it's worked for me for 50 years.

Simples eh?

Not very organized about this however I forgot to renew my road tax, - one problem was that the nice round piece of paper had a large date on it which was easy to check. I didn't receive any notification that my tax was due, however on about the 20th of the month I got a final notice saying that if I didn't renew all sorts of bad things - aligned to prosecution would be about to happen, - I went to my P/C and renewed the thing that morning, - nothing bad happened.

It used to be that you had 14 days grace although whether that was ever a reality or an unofficial chance to get your vehicle taxed before the authorities jumped on you I was never sure.

I may possibly have been driving without insurance though because insurance is commensurate with keeping the vehicle taxed, - would have given them a mega excuse not to pay out - also relying on the reminder isn't a full proof method of keeping out of trouble. You might not receive it.

bounty hunter - 2016-04-26 3:39 PM

Pay monthly by Direct Debit and as long as bank details haven't changed it just rolls on. It costs me £14.43 per month, which is £173.16 instead of £165.

Also means you can stop DD immediately if you sell the van.

John

+1 for this method. The tiny extra payment for peace of mind is worth it ...... and you can stop it and Sorn or sell the vehicle online without fuss.

I have left the tax disc on my car! I know it's out of date, but does remind you when due. Any way I like the disc on the windscreen!! (Sad)

PJay

I suppose it must be possible to look up on line, to see when due?

PJay - 2016-04-26 5:28 PM

I have left the tax disc on my car! I know it's out of date, but does remind you when due. Any way I like the disc on the windscreen!! (Sad)

PJay

I suppose it must be possible to look up on line, to see when due?

I am even more sad, I altered the 5 to a 6 for 2016.

You may need proof that your motorhome is taxed if you require the services of a breakdown service whilst in the EU. Keep your renewal confirmation email with your V5 (you will need to print it off), just in case!

In theory you can check when it's due online. This works fine for my car but I can never find my MH on their system. You have to put the make in and I never can find it - is it Elddis, Peugeot, Marquis etc? I reckon writing it in tne kitchen diary is indeed the best option!

Fellbound - 2016-04-27 7:22 AM

In theory you can check when it's due online. This works fine for my car but I can never find my MH on their system. You have to put the make in and I never can find it - is it Elddis, Peugeot, Marquis etc? I reckon writing it in tne kitchen diary is indeed the best option!

It should be the make as in the log book, in my case this is listed as Fiat.

<<< It used to be that you had 14 days grace although whether that was ever a reality or an unofficial chance to get your vehicle taxed before the authorities jumped on you I was never sure. >>>

Hi

DVLA have always denied that there has ever been a Period of Grace.

The old cardboard log book had it writ in bold print at the bottom of one of the folded pages. I wonder if I have a copy of my Land Rovers VE 60?

If you realise you have been naughty, it used to be that if you managed to pay what was owing, including back tax, BEFORE they started chasing you ....it was not worth their time or effort to take it further.

It has always been an offence to use a vehicle on a road without tax, even if the previous tax ran out only the day before. Any 'grace' period given for using an untaxed vehicle is entirely discretionary. The 14 days grace was a statutory provision, but it applied only to the offence of failing to display a valid disc, which was an offence even if the vehicle was properly taxed.

All i can say is, reminders were always sent, by post, over the past 30 years or so.And if the DVLA want vehicles to be taxed properly and on time, then they had better carry on sending them.This is especially Important now, I always kept an eye on my windscreen displayed disc, to remind me, they have removed that handy reminder, so now, I have no idea when road tax is due ? Unless THEY remind me. NO intention of knowingly avoiding road tax, BUT they will have to remind me or it will not get done. My vehicle Insurers have no problem sending timely reminders, i expect the DVLA to do likewise. I suspect there are thousands more unorganised folk like me about, who relied on the little disc to keep them legal ?

I totally agree with the op.

As I see it one of the problems with modern society is that everything is always someone else's fault or responsibility.

There is no excuse for failing to take responsibility for your own actions and responsibilities and it is no excuse to say that nobody told me that which I should have known myself.

I can "perhaps" (just? maybe?) see how someone may get caught out the once (..by being away or just plain forgetting etc)...

But other than that... it isn't difficult, is it... :-S

Although, we've now switched our vehicles' "tax" to DD, meaning they run-on automatically, I still have a typed list of what's due-and when, pinned up in the kitchen...

As said, it's not rocket science.

For those who feel they need a small circle of paper, with a date on, stuck to their 'screens for guidance,(and haven't got an "old" one), have they not heard of a pen, paper and scissors?... (lol)

(..perhaps they could also cut out a "disc" to help 'em remember when their MOT is due? )

I'm simply not a 'calendar' person. Never have a calendar, never use a calendar. Use a diary, have to for my business appointments but to enter the renewal date, I need next years diary, they aren't on sale yet.

I'm not saying it's someone else's fault, just that I'm used to getting reminder in plenty of time. If I had been away, I simply would not have known that the tax was about to expire.

Thanks Rayjsj for your support.

paulmold - 2016-04-27 3:07 PM

I'm simply not a 'calendar' person. Never have a calendar, never use a calendar. Use a diary, have to for my business appointments but to enter the renewal date, I need next years diary, they aren't on sale yet.

I'm not saying it's someone else's fault, just that I'm used to getting reminder in plenty of time. If I had been away, I simply would not have known that the tax was about to expire.

Thanks Rayjsj for your support.

Paul,

On one of the 'Notes' pages at the front or back of your diary simply write the dates of expiry of all your cars and MH Tax, MOT, Insurance, etc and then when you get next years diary copy them over to a blank page again and also onto the relevant dates. We used to do it every year on our kitchen calendar before we went electronic :D

Simple really.

Keith.

I sent an email to the DVLA pointing out that with only 4 days notice, I could well have been away etc and received a reply today. They blame the Royal Mail. The reminder letters are printed 8 weeks ahead then given to Royal Mail who are supposed to start delivery 3 weeks before the expiry date, so you see the blame culture is alive and well at the DVLA.

They also point out that they are not obliged to remind me at all and it is my responsibility which if I'm honest with myself I already knew.

Archived