charging the fridge

john boy

John,

Insert 4 large ciders and a couple of bottles of wine and you are all charged up and ready to go.

Alan. (lol)

Oh Jan just told me I have to put some food in as well!

Seriously though, 12 to 24 hours before you should turn the fridge on. On electric if on EHU or on gas if not.

I'm surprised by the 12-24 hours comments as our fridge (and our previouys frdiges) seem to get down to temperature in under 30 minutes. If the van happens to plugged in then I will switch the fridge on while I'm topping up water etc. ready to leave, but for us the norm is load fridge, switch it to 12v and drive. I've not detected problemregarding chilled foodstuffs in doing it like that.

It seems to be the case that the standard guidance regarding ‘pre-cooling’ a leisure-vehicle fridge prior to putting chilled/frozen food in it is to leave the fridge running on 230V overnight. This may be one-size-fits-all advice, but it seems reasonable enough to me given the differences in age, capacity and design of fridges, what people are going to put in them and weather conditions at the time.

I believe John (the original poster) has an Elddis Suntor 120 and that this has a quite small fridge. If that’s so and he only intends to put chilled food in it prior to setting off, only a relatively short ‘cooling’ time might be needed. Conversely, my Rapido has a large fridge/freezer and cooling that down sufficiently to allow frozen food to be carried safely in the freezer compartment would take a lot longer than 30 minutes.

Archived