Does my dream van exist?

geordy paul

Hi, I've trawled the net with no joy so thought I would ask here.

I drive a Mercedes mwb automatic sprinter van for work.

Over the years we've had all shapes and sizes of vans at work

But this one is just simply by a long long way the best van I have ever used.

So it occurred to me that it would make a brill camper van.

So started to look for a company that does a 3/4 berth camper van

on the mwb high roof sprinter.

Had no joy hence asking here.

Only option seems to be to buy a van and get it converted ourselves.

Thanks.

Good luck. I think you will struggle with that. Primarily trying to get the 4 berth in a panel van is a far stretch for the manufacturers. You may want to take a look at the Wildaxe Solaris for ideas. (They are like hens teeth to find though, there may be a reason for that).

Also it may be worth looking at the European market. They do have layouts with a front dinette that converts in to a temp bed then at the rear they have two doubles, one over the other.

The other consideration is a front dinette and rear double bed layout. (Again more common in the European market). The front dinettes usually drop into a small single bed and you could maybe get a cab camp bed to fit between the doors for the fourth?

I was going to suggest 'Rolling Homes' as I have seen their conversions on the VW sister van to the Merc.

Unfortunately their website is not working but they did post on Facebook 3 days ago so there is hope...

http://www.rolling-homes.co.uk/

https://www.facebook.com/Rolling-Homes-112168768801634/

May be worth asking what they can do for you.

Keith.

PS They build some of the most exquisite hand crafted conversions I have ever seen.

steve101 - 2016-05-24 8:12 PM

Good luck. I think you will struggle with that. Primarily trying to get the 4 berth in a panel van is a far stretch for the manufacturers. You may want to take a look at the Wildaxe Solaris for ideas. (They are like hens teeth to find though, there may be a reason for that).

Also it may be worth looking at the European market. They do have layouts with a front dinette that converts in to a temp bed then at the rear they have two doubles, one over the other.

The other consideration is a front dinette and rear double bed layout. (Again more common in the European market). The front dinettes usually drop into a small single bed and you could maybe get a cab camp bed to fit between the doors for the fourth?

We have had a few vans so familiar with most lay outs.

To be honest the fourth berth was only a thought as only need three.

Globe Car do a three birth van with an option of a pop up roof making possible to sleep 5.

The lay out is double across the back and the two travel seats and dinette making a single.

Very clever toilet and shower in the middle.

Just thought that somebody might have one the same(ish) on the Merc.

Also McLaren Spotshomes may be able to help as IIRC the majority of their build are to customer requirements. , Their main line is Race Vans but did convert a Sprinter for Sir Bradley Wiggins on a LWB.. But expect to pay a high premium for any new Mercedes based conversion.

http://www.mclarensportshomes.co.uk/

Another UK converter is Devon Conversions

http://devonconversions.co.uk/new-motorhomes/mercedes-benz-sapphire-7/

Main reason the Mercedes is not frequently used for PVC conversions is that the body width is restrictive for a transverse bed (v the Fiat, Peugeot, Citroen) & therefore more suited to long ways beds resulting in the need for the LWB as opposed to the MWB,

Also McLaren Spotshomes may be able to help as IIRC the majority of their build are to customer requirements. , Their main line is Race Vans but did convert a Sprinter for Sir Bradley Wiggins on a LWB.. But expect to pay a high premium for any new Mercedes based conversion.

http://www.mclarensportshomes.co.uk/

Another UK converter is Devon Conversions

http://devonconversions.co.uk/new-motorhomes/mercedes-benz-sapphire-7/

Main reason the Mercedes is not frequently used for PVC conversions is that the body width is restrictive for a transverse bed (v the Fiat, Peugeot, Citroen) & therefore more suited to long ways beds resulting in the need for the LWB as opposed to the MWB,

Mercedes is not a good van for converting because they tend to be heavy so weight issues may come into play and they rust as the metal is not galvanised. While that is OK for a work van that does high mileages in a short space of time it is not good for motorhomes which tend to be owned for longer periods meaning rust can kick in.

Hi Paul

It may've been mentioned already, but don't forget you would need to consider suitable seatbelts for all passengers...

..and if these rear passengers are going to be children, then the seats and seatbelts with need to be able to accommodate the appropriate *car seats...

(* and where would to stuff them, once they'd been "unbuckled" , every time time you need to make up the beds?).

Although obviously doable, vans that may seem cavernous when used at work can soon become cramped and claustrophobic once furniture/kitchen units, a shower/loo cubicle and travels seats etc are shoehorned in ..

Hymer have just announced that they are going to build a version of the Hymercar Grand Canyon on the Merc. May take a little while to come to the market but I'm sure it will be a high quality cohesive motorhome.

Hyundai are soon to introduce a large van and this may form a better base than the Merc.

The Ducato/Boxer/Relay is still likely to be the most practical body for conversion, with the Ford transit not far behind.

Peter

Don't know whereabouts you are located but another option is S & L Motorhomes in Selby, North Yorkshire. They now have a standard range of van conversion layouts, 6 in all, which they will either modify to your requirements or if it's completely bespoke that you want they will do that as well. Converted a Fiat Ducato for me to my own design to a very high standard. Excellent company to work with on a project like this.

http://www.slmotorhomes.co.uk/

Here's my thoughts for what it's worth.

Whilst doable IMO a four bed MWB with standard hightop would have few buyers, so doubt there is a standard model available.

The nearest I've seen come in three guises (none being Merc's), VW transporters, these can be had with bunks in the poptop, quite tight inside even with no washroom. Globecar Vario 545, squeezes in four by once again going high, this time on Fiat base but with an extra hightop and gets a washroom as well. Hymercar Ayers Rock, this goes down same route as VW with a poptop but on a Fiat MWB, this means it has more room and a washroom

We hired an automatic Merc Sprinter in New Zealand last year. Both seats turned round to use a table opposite the sliding door. The bathroom and kitchen were amidships, with the over large bed in the back. We found the base vehicle very easy and comfortable to drive and the accommodation suited the two of us very well. We left the bed made up and it worked well.

The majority of motorhomes were based on Sprinters over there, and on our return we looked for something similar in the UK, with no luck.

The nearest we've seen is a Globecar or Wildax, but not on an auto Sprinter. We really liked the auto Sprinter!

Many thanks for all your replys.

I currently have an Autocruise Accent on the Peugeot van.

So already know about seat belts etc. By no means are we new to motorhomes

had a few over the years.

As for the Merc not being upto long term ownership, not sure where that comes from.

Some of the Mercs at work are still going strong and driving really well with 500,000 miles on them.

And believe me, they are not easy miles either.

So I have no concerns on reliability.

Lots of companies offer custom conversions the hard part is finding the right company.

The hardest part of all at the moment seems to be finding the base van, lots of manual vans out there

but the automatics are like hens teeth.

We are in no rush and would need to sell our van to fund the new one so looking at next winter if we do it.

Paul.

Archived