Wot, no beeper?

StuartO

I've always been used to hearing a different beeper when you have a trailer hooked on, which reverts to the ordinary beeper if an indicator bulb fails for example, so you have some indication of what's going on with the trailer.

But our new car doesn't do this, and you simply get the ordinary quiet beep when a trailer is hooked on.  That's OK, says the dealer - but is it?

I had the idea that a different beeper or some such was a legal requirement as part of a trailer installation - am I right?

Ours is a Honda CRV and the towbar is a Honda part, fitted by the dealer which supplied the car.  I have asked another dealer who checked with their techie and they said it was OK.  I'm assuming it's a CAMBUS-related thing and hence a different approach has been taking to warnings. There's so much in the way of information systems fitted to the car that it wouldn't surprise me if a digital voice message popped up when necessary to tell me precisely which light bulb had failed.  I'm curious rather than worried about it.

Guys,

It is a very long standing rule that you DO NOT need audible (or visual) warning of a trailers indicator functioning.

What you DO need is an audible or visual warning of a trailers indicator NOT functioning!

My 2001 Ford Galaxy does not warn me in any way when the trailer indicators are working correctly before it a bulb fails then they flash fast as if a car bulb has failed.

The downside of this system is that if you forget to plug in the trailer than you get no warning!

Keith.

Edit to add, next time you have the trailer connected to your car try removing an indicator bulb to see what happens...

Keithl - 2016-06-11 9:41 AMGuys,It is a very long standing rule that you DO NOT need audible (or visual) warning of a trailers indicator functioning.What you DO need is an audible or visual warning of a trailers indicator NOT functioning!......

Whose rule I wonder, and where is it written?  Just asking, not doubting, that's all.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived