Tyre compressor wire gets very hot

BML

I just spent a long time looking for advice on an effective tyre compressor for my Motor caravan eventually buying a "Double Piston Large Volume Air Compressor Car Tyre Inflator". The compressor instructions require that it be connected directly to the main battery. It worked well adding the ten lbs I wanted but when I disconnected the wires from the battery they felt very hot which tells me that the wiring is not sufficiently robust. Am I right?

Small portable compressors are not designed for continuous use so much as for a quick squirt of inflation, to top up the tyres.  I've seen them come with warnings about not using them for more than a few minutes at a time.

You might find, if you replace the wiring with a heavier gauge, that something else burns out if you try to use your compressor continuously.  I'd be inclined to settle for using it as is and limiting the time of continuous use to say five or ten minutes, then let it cool down before starting again.

I followed the instructions and did use it for a short time. I have no intention of replacing the wires and I have no intention of settling to use as it is. I suspect that a device such as the one I have is not expected to overheat the wires that take current from the battery to the pump and if that is the case I will return it and keep on with my search for an effective tyre pump..

BML,

Do you want a compressor to only use at home or to take with you on the road?

If only at home then why not get a mains powered compressor and proper tyre inflator?

The likes of Screwfix, Toolstation, Machine Mart or even Aldi have some really good offers.

I use a mains powered 1.5 HP 25 litre compressor at home and then carry a 'Joe Blow' Cycle track pump with which I can add 1 or 2 psi in relative ease if ever needed.

Keith.

BML, By your own description what you have bought is probably the wrong choice for Motor Caravan use?

You describe it as a "Double Piston Large Volume Air Compressor CAR Tyre Inflator" when a Motorhome runs much higher pressures than the average Car. Those higher pressures will place a bigger load on a conventional car tyre pump?

The Electric Motor is likely to work harder for longer, so drawing more current, hence heating the cable.

I suspect that what Stuart's helpful advice was suggesting, because your usage of it loads it far higher than it was probably designed for, that just 1 or 2 minutes use might be more appropriate should you wish to keep it.

Keith, what you say makes sense but I’m a belt and braces man and regrettably rather idle so I don’t check my spare as often as I should so I want to carry a tyre compressor with me in case I need it while on the road.

Aandncaravan What you say appears to be logical but as the great Freddy Ayer said, A Logical statement is not necessarily a valid one.

Higher pressures may place a greater load on a conventional car tyre pump but this pump this is not advertised as such. The pump was advertised as capable of doing what I want to do which is reach tyre pressures of 65lbs.

If as you say, “the Electric Motor is likely to work harder for longer, so drawing more current, hence heating the cable.” I have to reply that in that case the pump has a built in design fault.

In conclusion I asked my son who is a mechanic what he uses and he replied that he uses a hand pump, one of those that you stand over, grab the handle and push it up and down. As I need all the exercise I can get I might just go that way

BML - 2016-06-13 11:15 PM

In conclusion I asked my son who is a mechanic what he uses and he replied that he uses a hand pump, one of those that you stand over, grab the handle and push it up and down. As I need all the exercise I can get I might just go that way

A Joe Blow track pump...

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-maintenance/bike-pumps/topeak-joe-blow-sport-ii-bike-pump

Keith.

You are absolutely correct and thank you for reminding an absent minded old duffer of basic electrics. The idiot who designed the base unit for my camper, a Boxer placed the battery where its difficult to access the positive terminal which is at the back of the battery so it is possible that I did not make a good contact. I'm off today for a trip to the South Coast and dare not risk of my wife's ire by trying the pump out now but I will when I get back.

Keithl - 2016-06-14 4:28 AM
BML - 2016-06-13 11:15 PMIn conclusion I asked my son who is a mechanic what he uses and he replied that he uses a hand pump, one of those that you stand over, grab the handle and push it up and down. As I need all the exercise I can get I might just go that way
A Joe Blow track pump...http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-maintenance/bike-pumps/topeak-joe-blow-sport-ii-bike-pumpKeith.

I have used one of these to blow up cycle tyres and they work.  But raising significant pressure in a big MH tyre would be quite a challenge and take a number of hours.  I think I'd call the breakdown people!

BML what year is your Boxer. i have a 2014 model and there is a positive connector for jump leads and pumps such as these under the bonnet, on your right as you are looking at the engine.

We have a "bonaire" compressor purchased from Costco, It cost about £30.. It inflates well, but the instructions are very clear not to leave it running for more than 5 minutes. It inflates the m/h tyres to 75psi.

It does get hot, but it works very well. It is not designed to run for long periods. You get what you pay for. I would suggest that trying to inflate m/h tyres with a track pump would be near impossible.

bertieburstner - 2016-06-14 10:20 AM

I would suggest that trying to inflate m/h tyres with a track pump would be near impossible.

It really isn't, as KeithL has already intimated.

I use a Specialized Team track pump that will happily go to 160psi and, although it gets hard work at around that pressure, adding 5psi to a tyre at 60psi takes no effort at all and very little time, say about a minute. I have a mechanical compressor at home but it's quicker to just use the track pump and I've stopped carrying an electric onboard as the track pump, which is always with us for the bikes, does the job without hassle.

Steve928 - 2016-06-14 12:44 PM

bertieburstner - 2016-06-14 10:20 AM

I would suggest that trying to inflate m/h tyres with a track pump would be near impossible.

It really isn't, as KeithL has already intimated.

I use a Specialized Team track pump that will happily go to 160psi and, although it gets hard work at around that pressure, adding 5psi to a tyre at 60psi takes no effort at all and very little time, say about a minute. I have a mechanical compressor at home but it's quicker to just use the track pump and I've stopped carrying an electric onboard as the track pump, which is always with us for the bikes, does the job without hassle.

Exactly. I too use a track pump. You wouldn't inflate a tyre from nothing but to add a couple of psi is no problem at all.

Archived