Check yours

hallii

My Hymer has the usual plastic vents for the fridge on the outside in common with just about every other motorhome which all have similar vents.

After all the rain I made my usual inspection of the interior and found a trickle of water on the floor. After investigation I found that the plastic "box" that fits into the sidewall was both cracked and leaking.

What I lousy bit of engineering, a flimsy bit of plastic screwed to the sidewall with what appears to be a very small amount of sealant round it.

I have ordered two more new ones and I will fit them with butyl sealant in a generous bead.

So you might just want to take the covers off and check yours?

H

When the fridge defrosts, the condensate is collected in a plastic container at the back of the fridge, located over a hot recirculation fridge pipe. The idea being that the condensate will evaporate.

When the fridge is in use, I quite often have to siphon off the excess condensate to prevent it from overflowing. So, obviously the evaporation process isn't working too well. I'm planning to divert the pipe to drain direct to under the van as done by others on this forum.

Perhaps the OP's problem may be caused by the condensate overflowing ???

Robbo - 2016-06-17 8:01 PM

When the fridge defrosts, the condensate is collected in a plastic container at the back of the fridge, located over a hot recirculation fridge pipe. The idea being that the condensate will evaporate.

When the fridge is in use, I quite often have to siphon off the excess condensate to prevent it from overflowing. So, obviously the evaporation process isn't working too well. I'm planning to divert the pipe to drain direct to under the van as done by others on this forum.

Robbo,

I actually went one better than just diverting the existing drain pipe, I added a drain fitting in the little plastic container and routed it through the gas drop vent below the fridge. My theory was that if the new drain pipe ever got blocked, eg possibly frozen, then the fridge would still operate exactly as originally designed.

I used a small clamp through fitting and a short length of 6mm nylon pipe. Something like washer tubing may work equally as well.

Keith.

Keithl - 2016-06-17 9:14 PM

Robbo - 2016-06-17 8:01 PM

Robbo,

I actually went one better than just diverting the existing drain pipe, I added a drain fitting in the little plastic container and routed it through the gas drop vent below the fridge. My theory was that if the new drain pipe ever got blocked, eg possibly frozen, then the fridge would still operate exactly as originally designed.

I used a small clamp through fitting and a short length of 6mm nylon pipe. Something like washer tubing may work equally as well.

Keith.

Good thinking Keith - I like your belt and braces approach. Great idea, will do the same. Thanks for the tip.

Archived