buying motorhome

pw9crab

hi can any one help thinking of buying hymer with fix bed and large garage which is best fiat 2,8 tdi or merceds with 2.2tdi fiat 3850 merceds 4200 both have fix bed over garage merceds 28000 2003 fiat 2005 25000 wy is merceds so much dearer wich is best bye

I had an 05 plated Hymer with a Fiat 2.8tdi for eight years with only one problem - a recall which resulted in a more accurate speedometer. Prior to that I had an Arto for 5 years with the Fiat 2.8tdi. The only problem I can recall was a loose wire in the windscreen wiper motor.

I've no experience of the Mercs but personally, whilst I would love one, I'd baulk at the premium pricing.

Hi again,

One again IMO the Merc is far better build and the most important thing, especially as you may tow, it is Rear Wheel Drive!

This is even more important with the weight of MH you are looking at as FWD on the slightest of slippery surface will lose traction. As for is it powerful enough, take it for a test drive and judge for yourself. At the end of the day you will be the person driving it. Our 313CDi is 130 HP and is more than adequate for our 3,800 kg AutoTrail.

Keith.

pw9crab - 2016-07-14 11:46 AMhi can any one help thinking of buying hymer with fix bed and large garage which is best fiat 2,8 tdi or merceds with 2.2tdi fiat 3850 merceds 4200 both have fix bed over garage merceds 28000 2003 fiat 2005 25000 wy is merceds so much dearer wich is best bye

We have a Hymer S700 G on a Mercedes 416 - single rear axle but with 4 wheels on the rear axle. It is a Sprintshift - automatic. It is what they call a "Bar version" which they stopped making in 2007 and have gone with the Front dinette layout since
We have had it since new in 2007, it has been very reliable. Engine is a 5 pot, so a very well balanced engine.

Prior to purchase we did look at a Fiat but decided to go for the Mercedes because of the rear wheel drive as opposed to front wheel drive on the Fiat. Yes a little more expensive but we thought it was worth it.
Hope this info helps, feel free to contact me if our require any further information.
Will try to attach a picture for you.

Archived