12v Fridge Problem

SmileyCamper

Hi all, it's my first post here. I'm completely green in the world of camping and recently bought (about a year now) a Nissan campervan. Sadly I have come across an electrical problem with the fridge.

It's a gas/12v combo which works fine on both. The problem is that when I switch the 12v on it immediately trips out every time I start the ignition. If I start the engine and then turn on the 12v it's fine. But as soon as I turn the ignition off and on again it trips out.

It never used to do this, but a few months ago I had the 240-120 convertor box changed, and now this problem has arisen.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi SmileyCamper,

I am not familiar with your Nissan Camper, but from your description of the fridge, it must be an absorption type. These fridges can take about 10 Amps or more to power the 12V heating element. To avoid discharging the battery they are normally only supplied with power once the engine is running. This can be carried out by either a voltage sensitive relay, or by powering a relay from the alternator D+ terminal.

I can only hazard a guess as to the cause your problem. My thinking is that when you select 12V operation of the fridge, a relay is operated, and held energised from the vehicle 12V ignition supply. When you start the engine, a large current is taken from the vehicle battery, and there is a consequent drop in voltage,

If your vehicle starting battery and connections are not up to scratch, then the voltage drop may be so large as to cause the conjectured relay to release.

Try starting the vehicle with the headlights ON. Do they dip in brilliance by a significant amount?

If so check the battery terminals and earth connection for corrosion.

Is the battery OK? Many car batteries have a condition indicator on top, which should show green if the battery is in good health.

PLEASE DO TAKE CARE AND DISCONNECT THE BATTERY NEGATIVE BEFORE CARRYING OUT ANY OTHER WORK. REPLACE BATTERY NEGATIVE LAST.

For illustration I bought a less than 3yr old car last February from a main dealer. I do not like the battery voltage when off charge, and I cannot see green in the indicator. The vehicle starts OK, but the lights do dip!

Alanb - 2016-07-18 7:31 PM

When you start the engine, a large current is taken from the vehicle battery, and there is a consequent drop in voltage,

Hi Alan, thanks for replying!

Even if I turn the ignition without actually starting the engine the 12v switch still trips out.

Alanb - 2016-07-18 7:31 PM

When you start the engine, a large current is taken from the vehicle battery, and there is a consequent drop in voltage,

Hi Alan, thanks for replying!

Even if I turn the ignition without actually starting the engine the 12v switch still trips out.

SmileyCamper - 2016-07-17 5:55 PM

Hi all, it's my first post here. I'm completely green in the world of camping and recently bought (about a year now) a Nissan campervan. Sadly I have come across an electrical problem with the fridge.

It's a gas/12v combo which works fine on both. The problem is that when I switch the 12v on it immediately trips out every time I start the ignition. If I start the engine and then turn on the 12v it's fine. But as soon as I turn the ignition off and on again it trips out.

It never used to do this, but a few months ago I had the 240-120 convertor box changed, and now this problem has arisen.

The Fridge relay should be 'triggered' by either the D+ output from the Alternator or by a voltage sensing relay, either option should work regardless of the initial voltage drop from starting the engine. Once the engine has started, the Alternator output should re-trigger either, even if there is a temporarily 'dropout'?

Some Fridge units with an 'Auto' function can take a few minutes to switch from one mode to another, like 12v to Gas, for safety reasons. Have you tried waiting 10 minutes to see if it eventually switches back to 12v? Or maybe it is a 'Manual select' only Fridge?

You mention, "I had the 240-120 convertor box changed" and the problem has arisen since then?

What did they fit, and would you know what was removed, was it like for like?

Is it possible it wasn't working correctly prior to the 'converter' swap, but is now but you are not aware there may be a delay?

SmileyCamper - 2016-07-17 5:55 PM

In view of your comment I would be inclined to go back to the person who did the previous work and ask them to fix it!

Keith.

It is a manual select fridge with 3 settings - Gas, battery, and mains.

The convertor box was like for like, and prior to the change of box the problem definitely didn't exist as I remember switching the 12v on without any problems.

When you say "you are not aware there may be a delay" what do you mean by a delay?

SmileyCamper - 2016-07-18 10:06 PM

It is a manual select fridge with 3 settings - Gas, battery, and mains.

The convertor box was like for like, and prior to the change of box the problem definitely didn't exist as I remember switching the 12v on without any problems.

When you say "you are not aware there may be a delay" what do you mean by a delay?

The delay is only if you have a fridge with auto selection. You have manual selection.

It is a safety feature so that when you are filling up at a petrol station the fridge doesn't suddenly fire up on gas and cause a potential explosion..

SmileyCamper - 2016-07-21 9:22 AM

I have just read that leisure batteries and slightly different from vehicle batteries.

Is it a problem replacing a leisure battery with a vehicle battery?

Battery technology has moved on a bit in the last few years. You can now purchase batteries which the manufacturers claim to be dual purpose, ie can be used for either engine or leisure purposes.

The Varta LFD range claim to be dual purpose.

I have 2 x Varta LFD90 fitted as leisure batteries. When my engine battery needs replacing, I will use the same spec battery.

Archived