Front speakers not working

81ngoking

Hi, I'm new to this forum and can't find anything relating to the problem I am having with the front speakers.

My Motorhome is a 2011 Peugeot Autocruise Startrail. Not long after I got it second hand (3rd owner) the left hand door speaker stopped working. Just the other day, the right hand speaker crackled and stopped working. I removed the radio to check connections and all seems ok. I then thought that a circuit board or some component in the radio had broken so sourced another radio unit through Ebay and plugged that in... same problem, no sound from the front speakers. Yes, I have checked the fader and balance settings on both radios and can only get sound through the rear speakers from both radios.

Anyone had this problem and is there a solution please?

Hello,

The most common cause of losing one front speaker or for the unit to produce no sound at all is because of a shorting wire in the loom between the driver's or front passenger's door. The Radio will detect the short and turn off the amplifier to prevent damage.

In your case, i suspect the most likely cause is that someone has upgraded the door speakers at some point and made a mess of replacing the wiring when they swapped them back before sale. The original speakers have a two pin connector on them and a plug for this is on the end of the wiring loom. In order to fit after-market speakers you have to remove this plug or improvise a connection in some way. If you remove the speaker cover from the door panel and remove the securing screws you can take the speaker out and check the connections. They might be just loose but probably are bodged.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

Nick

Thank you Nick.

I did think it might be a short somewhere and had removed the glovebox etc to trace the wiring loom from the back of the radio to the speakers. I have only taken the passenger door speaker trim off to check connections and they are ok and don't appear to have been upgraded in the past as the original 2 pin connector is still connected to the wiring loom. I plan to check the driver's door tomorrow. So far there are no nicks in the wiring loom either. I will let you know how I get on tomorrow.

Brian

Brian,

The next place to check for damage is the rubber convoluted grommet between door and A pillar. The wires flex every time the door is opened and eventually fail.

Try easing the grommet away from one end or other and inspect the wires within.

Keith.

Chances are that it's got a break in the wire in the rubber between door and frame.

Had a similar problem with the rear central locking not working and i took it out and found it had snapped during opening and shutting the door dozens of times a day.

Al

Thanks all for your help and suggestions.

I have checked the wiring as best I can and removed both front speakers and tweeters to check all the connections and they all appear to be sound. I also checked the wiring in the corrugated rubber tube between the door cab and that too appears sound with no breaks or nicks visible.

I have purchased a double DIN DAB radio/CD and Navigation system and connected that up today and still no sound from the front speakers or tweeters.

I am now considering running new cables to the front speakers as clearly there is something wrong with the wiring. I have checked the speakers on another radio and they are OK. :-S

Archived