Tyre advice please

Mr Motorhome

Hi All

I recently bought our first MH, Hymer on a Ford Transit base, and upon checking the tyres I noted that they were manufactured in 2006 (4806). The MH is 2007 so I'm assuming these are likely to be the original tyres fitted from new. Tyres are Continental Vanco 215/75 R 16 C 113/111 R. I believe these are 'commercial' tyres as opposed to 'camper' tyres.

Would people advise I replace 'like with like' or to replace with camper tyres such as the Continental Vanco Camper? I know opinions differ as to whether there are any actual differences between the two types and some believe paying more for 'camper' tyres is a waste of money.

Regards,

My opinion, like for like!

If you have been happy with the existing tyres since purchase then why change?

I changed our Vanco 8PR for Vanco 2's a couple of years ago when they where nine years old and then sold the old tyres on eBay to a white van man.

Conti recommend changing at ten years from date of manufacture so may be slightly more difficult to sell yours.

Keith.

Thanks for your reply, Keith.

I've only just bought the MH so not had any real experience of them. My thoughts are that if I'm going to buy new tyres whether it would be of benefit to replace with camper tyres. To be honest, the grip is not that good even in light rain but that maybe down to the age of the tyre.

Regards,

Mr Motorhome - 2016-09-09 7:41 PM

My thoughts are that if I'm going to buy new tyres whether it would be of benefit to replace with camper tyres. To be honest, the grip is not that good even in light rain but that maybe down to the age of the tyre.

Regards,

The on road grip of Conti standard van tyres is no worse than their camper tyres, in fact the vanco 200 are A rated against the B rating for campers.

I've been driving for many years and driven many different types of vehicle in all weather conditions but I really don't feel comfortable driving in the wet on these tyres. Although the tread/walls look to be fine, I believe natural aging/degradation of the tyre may be the cause of lack of grip. They are 10 years old so I'm changing them anyway but just need confirmation if ok to change from the original, non camper tyres, to camper tyres.

regards,

Archived