7metres long MH.

tcress

My MH is exactly 7metres long and I don't usually have a problem with the length, nor usually with the width and height, although all three dimensions could become a problem in some circumstances and I have had the odd contact.  I like driving a larger vehicle and I rarely feel threatened by it.  It's an A Class (which means flat sides, easy to see where the back corners are) and the mirrors are pretty good too.

But I can understand that some people will feel intimidated or uncomfortable driving a MH of this size.  My wife doesn't volunteer to drive it, although she would do so if pushed.  It's how the individual feels about the size which determines whether it's too big for them, not the vehicle's size.

MHs of this size are not like cars and you have to learn to drive them for what they are.  They roll more easily so you need to take more care going into roundabouts.  The brakes aren't as quick to slow you down as a car's so you have to read the road further ahead and start braking earlier.  But it's not rocket science and I really like driving mine.

Rarely have I found myself struggling to manoeuvre because of the size, although of course you can't get them under height barriers or into ordinary-size car parking spaces.  So you have to choose where to park accordingly.  I have rarely been unable to park somewhere, although UK town centres can get pretty hopeless.

Archiesgrandad - 2016-09-29 9:50 PM

I would add that in order to achieve this sort of length manufacturers sometimes make the overhang at the back quite long, which can cause problems with the tail grounding as you enter or leave carparks, ferries etc, and also negotiating mountain passes. It also makes rear axle loading a bit problematic.

AGD

Just to add that a long rear overhang (the length of the vehicke from the rear wheels to the rear of the vehicle) needs to be driven or manoeuvred with more care as this will lead the very end of the Motorhome to swing much further out when turning but is just another thing to remember - but once you have mastered the extra size it is something you become accustomed to.

David

Our van is near enough that length - it requires a different style of driving, being more alert to the environment in 360 degrees, what's around, above (such as trees) and even below you, however it isn't a problem, the van rolls more so watch corners and roundabouts particularly reducing radius corners but as a biker I know to look out for these, the van is slower to stop and slower to pull away so I don't "go for the gaps", also watching the corners and judging gaps between cars.

I think it's more a question of confidence and with a little experience, you grow to get used to it and even enjoy driving.

We have a reversing camera properly set up which I think is essential, A long term M/H user advised me when we started out - "Don't drive into a trap" - If I am not sure of a narrow entrance, steep drive, tight parking space etc I am not averse to getting out and looking at it before taking the van over. Saved my bacon on one occasion on a farm where we camped up - We were about to drive over a bridge across a ditch that would not have taken the weight of the van, the farmer saw me making my inspection and kindly warned us, a close call.

If I have a failing it's not looking up - I near as a touch hit our neighbours porch roof, also an overhanging building, no impacts occurred but it taught me a lesson.- an old cottage which overhangs a tight corner in Devizes - never a problem in the car - but it is with the van, take care, take time, keep cool and enjoy the ride.

My Benimar Perseo is 7.2 metres and is a delight to drive. A reversing camera is helpful but other than that don't be concerned about the length other than the good tips in previous posts. 

We are rated at 3850Kg so in general payload is not an issue - we carry a 100 Kg motorbike & 2 electric bikes in the garage. However do try to keep your heavy items as near the rear wheels as possible, not at the extreme rear of the van.

I'm fairly sure that tolls on motorways in France are based on weight not length, whereas fares on ferries etc are based on length so over 7 metres may push you into the next price band. I don't know about carparks as I try to avoid them where ever possible!

Good luck!   

pjohns2 - 2016-09-30 12:13 PM

Just a comment

Road side assist with RAC /AA cannot pick up a MH over 7.0 Metres as we have just found out, fortunately the RAC man was able to get our MH started so we could drive to Fiat Professional dealer to get the problem fixed

But, RAC through the Camping and Caravanning Club's 'Arrival' scheme removes these restrictions. And gets you a discount into the bargain.

Keith.

I found a larger M/H much easier to drive. Smoother all round. On any road you occupy a complete width section and don't find others trying to squeeze by. I assume when you drive a smaller vehicle you adjust to the larger types by allowing them more space, then the same should apply when you are the larger.

Long trucks and buses manage so why not you.

A lot depends on how you use your van?

If you tend to stay on sites and walk or use bikes to explore locally a big van is less of a handful than if you like to wander off the tourist track and explore with the van to find those places that other vans do not reach.

Our last van is exactly 6.0 meters long and due to it's taper sided design shape is an absolute joy to drive even in narrow and tight locations' whereas a slab sided tall coachbuil of the same length is more of a handful.

That said I had no real problems with a 7.00 meter Autotrail we once had even though it was very high - but then I used to drive commercial vehicles and have done a lot of miles in vans of all shapes and sizes so it really comes down to experience and miles.

The more miles you do the better you get at it - generally - assuming that you have a natural aptitude for driving!!

I don't see that driving a larger van should be a major problem - and will no doubt get easier with practice.

The problems are more likely to arise when. and where, you want to park it - whether it's on a supermarket car park, or a pitch on a campsite.

It seems obvious that the larger the van, the less options you have.

Guest pelmetman
david lloyd - 2016-09-30 7:47 AM

Archiesgrandad - 2016-09-29 9:50 PM

I would add that in order to achieve this sort of length manufacturers sometimes make the overhang at the back quite long, which can cause problems with the tail grounding as you enter or leave carparks, ferries etc, and also negotiating mountain passes. It also makes rear axle loading a bit problematic.

AGD

Just to add that a long rear overhang (the length of the vehicke from the rear wheels to the rear of the vehicle) needs to be driven or manoeuvred with more care as this will lead the very end of the Motorhome to swing much further out when turning but is just another thing to remember - but once you have mastered the extra size it is something you become accustomed to.

David

I used to drive bus's.....and the overhang on single deckers caught me out a few times :$ ......but there again it was a company vehicle, not my pride and joy .......

So I'd adopt a defensive driving habit ;-) .....

I did not find adapting to the 7.03 mtr length of my Autotrail a big deal. You do need to stay focused when driving in the suburbs due to the width and be aware of the height when approaching underpasses. On the open road or motorway I keep left and stay out of the way. Common sense is a great attribute to have along with an awareness of your surroundings.

A drop down bed or over cab bed could knock 1.5m off the length of a van. That makes my 6m A-class the equivalent of 7.5m although admittedly it is not as useful as a cross van rear bed or two longitudinal single beds. Longitudinal drop down single beds are less common and only exist in newer vans.

Comparisons with bus drivers will have to reflect a bus driver's annual miles are probably at least ten times that of a motorhomer and bus drivers are more highly qualified/experienced. They also drive slower unless on coach duties.

Using a basic calculation based on Hymer weights, a 7m van is likely to be c200kg heavier than a 6m van which could make the difference between needing a van over 3500kg and the necessary C1 licence to one below 3500kg.

To me, the extra length should give more useful living space and the price you may have to pay is marginally less ease of use and potential weight issues. I'd have a 7m van if I could fit it on the drive!

Archiesgrandad - 2016-10-02 1:21 PMCan I add that moving on from our 7.4 metre Rimor Sailer to our current 6 metre Pilote A Class has made life seem a little more relaxed, so if you can find a shorter A Class that meets your need and budget, it might be worth a look before you commit.AGD

That could be purely because you are getting older and your comfort zone is shrinking and will therefore have no significance at all to the OP unless he or she is in the same phase of life!

The only 'problem' I have found is that you need to go past a parking spot further than you first think as our 6m van doesn't turn quite as sharply as one thinks so there is a danger of a corner hitting something. Also think about parking spaces. My 6m van just about fits into a space if there is somewhere for the rear overhang to go eg pavement or verge, otherwise my local council advice was park in 2 spaces and pay for 2

You also asked about Toll charges. Virtually all toll booths in France are now automated with a weight sensor and a height camera. Class 2 is charged for vehicles up to 3.5kg and 3 mtrs in height. If over that weight or height you go to class 3. Yes, it is said that you can press the button and wait for a French request as to your query and say Camping car when you may well go down to class 2 but with a queue behind we prefer just to pay class 3 rather than hang about at the toll booths. Our Autotrail is 7.60 mtrs long weight 4.25 kgs and the standard height is ,would you believe 3.03 mtrs.

Hope this helps.

Ris

Archived