EBay Motorhome Scams

StuartO

Bulletguy - 2016-10-03 3:48 PM

I don't sell so much as i used to now as ebay got greedy over time and now not only take a percent cut from your final bid price, but even a percentage of whatever your postal costs have been. Thats just plain greed.

How else can they stop sellers reducing the price of their goods, and making up the difference with inflated P&P charges to reduce ebays commission?

StuartO - 2016-10-04 10:06 AM

the sending bank has no legal liability to recover the money or compensate

I can understand that because the bank has done nothing wrong. It has followed the victim's instructions and sent the victims money where the victim told the bank to send it. If I addressed a letter wrong, and the postman delivered it to where I wrongly addressed it, I could hardly blame the postman and expect him to get it back. But its scary for the victim as you say :-S

John52 - 2016-10-04 7:49 PM

Bulletguy - 2016-10-03 3:48 PM

I don't sell so much as i used to now as ebay got greedy over time and now not only take a percent cut from your final bid price, but even a percentage of whatever your postal costs have been. Thats just plain greed.

How else can they stop sellers reducing the price of their goods, and making up the difference with inflated P&P charges to reduce ebays commission?

That practice was always Hong Kong dealers selling £5 items with £15 P&P. It's not stopped them but it has affected small private sellers like myself whose only way to get out of putting yet more money into ebays pockets is to advertise items as "postage free".

You would think "postage free" would attract more bids and result in a higher price but in my experience it doesn't.

The big problem with ebay is it has no serious competition. When i first started, Yahoo also had an auction site which was damn good. Free to advertise and with no fees it attracted a lot of people but ebay soon snaffled them up. Sites such as Gumtree is only useful for local selling or purchases and not big enough to worry ebay.

• 2 months later...

An update:  My neighbour got her money back, eventually, all of it.  It took about 10 weeks.  She had found it very difficult to get information from the banks (her and the scammer's bank) about what was gong on and was more or less kept in the dark throughout.

I had an inside track to the recipient bank but that didn't reveal much either.  The major difficulty seems to have been that when scammers like this operate, there are usually quite a lot of transactions flowing in (and out) of the scammer's bank account - so by the time the whistle gets blown, although the account is then frozen promptly, it's unlikely there is enough money in the account to reimburse everyone who has been scammed in full.  So the bank has to sort out who should get what.

There is a legal formula for doing this so it can be done (based on what a court decided should be the method of sharing whatever is left) but it takes time to make sure they are aware of everyone who might be entitled to a share and then to work out how much they get.  There is also the legal requirement for the bank to say nothing to the scam victims initially, to facilitate any investigation by the National Crime Agency.

So my neighbour was probably quite lucky to get all her money back, even though she blew the whistle straight away.   The banks probably dealt with it all as expeditiously as they could and probably didn't keep her in the dark much more than they needed to - it just felt like that was what was happening.

Happily, she has already found a suitable motorhome, on EBay, had it professionally checked over and bought it for cash, taking delivery as she did so, from a small-time dealer without problems.  It's an L reg Autosleeper on a VW petrol-engined chassis with an automatic gearbox; perfect for their first-timer needs.  She paid £10,500.

Whether the scammer was identified and/or prosecuted for this scam we do not know.  There seems to be a lot of it going on.

Thanks for the update Stuart, good news but it's a a damn shame. No doubt us are recognised as a vulnerable community.

The further shame here is that e-bay will be a valuable vehicle between those looking for a purchase and those looking too sell, in the middle we have those who just want to get rid without taking any responsibility for the transaction and even worse those who don't even own the vehicle.

In the past there has been some reliance by scammers on the banks reticence to share information with even the police, that's even more of a shame.

I wonder, how much of a saving do you make on a legitimate e-bay transaction compared to the sometimes ridiculous turn-around fees that dealers make. In the odd case without taking any responsibility.

The OP says

My immediate neighbour .....was happy to complete the transaction via PayPal .....but the money had to be paid before delivery.  .....my neighbour was hooked and sent the money.  She thought.... that PayPal were handling the transaction .... The money should then be sent via internet banking to the seller's account...../>

Am I missing something?.... If you buy something on ebay and pay with PayPal, - then to enjoy PayPal protection YOU DONT transfer money to a 3rd party bank account.

• 3 weeks later...

Another scam is when an advert has been 'hijacked' and re-advertised at a silly price. Again, the request is to send the money and the m/h will be delivered.

As I understand it, ebay and paypal protection does not apply to big ticket items like cars, boats houses etc so beware, we got caught with a cloned motorhome, luckily the police were understanding and said I could re-sell it providing I made a full declaration (a few sleepless nights were caused by that!) :'(

Oh here looksee Hymer B644 on Fleebay going for £5443 today, better get the credit card out. Wonder if they have anymore bargains. Oh look quite new Range Rover for about £4k and other cars really cheap. Must be a good seller....Emmmm something wrong here...Will other idiots be fooled.

This 2012 paper from Cormac Herley (Microsoft)

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/research/publication/why-do-nigerian-scammers-say-they-are-from-nigeria/

suggests that it is more ‘efficient' for a degree of implausibility to be included in a spam message.

Although John Sootheran was clearly amusing himself in his dialogue with ‘Tamara Pierce’ about the Hobby caravan advert, it might be asked whether ‘Tamara’ was not doing exactly the same. Scammers aren’t daft and there’s no reason to think they lack a sense of humour.

Derek Uzzell - 2017-02-02 7:57 AMThis 2012 paper from Cormac Herley (Microsoft)https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/research/publication/why-do-nigerian-scammers-say-they-are-from-nigeria/suggests that it is more ‘efficient' for a degree of implausibility to be included in a spam message.Although John Sootheran was clearly amusing himself in his dialogue with ‘Tamara Pierce’ about the Hobby caravan advert, it might be asked whether ‘Tamara’ was not doing exactly the same. Scammers aren’t daft and there’s no reason to think they lack a sense of humour.

I doubt that Tamara would want to perpetuate dialogue to amuse herself because once she knows the mark has rumbled the scam, she would be flogging a dead horse. 

What microsoft discovered, as I understand it, was that because the scammer needs to identify the people who are gullible enough to go the whole way at the earliest possible stage (in order to avoid the wasted effort of dialogue with those who will twig before handing over the money) it makes sense not to be too obscure or too clever in the early stages of dialogue.  So give the less gullible a chance to twig early on and exclude themselves from further involvement.

Regardless of who was jerking who I found the whole thing educational and amusing, I'm the sort of person who just cannot imagine anyone having the neck to orchestrate this sort of scam though I'm also far to cynical to ever be caught up and wonder about those that do.

Well done all for keeping this thread interesting and an extra for Stuart, I didn't actually pee myself because I have yet to loose that control but I hooted enough to start it off if I had lost it.

So, we should all know about a £15000 item being offered as dodgy one way or the other but why is it that if you advertise your well kept van with a host of extras for £5000 more than what is regarded as its value, by whoever does this, you get ignored.

And how do I find the sensible, for everyone concerned, value of my van ? and how much should I expect a dealer to need to turn it around ? Ok, I'm being digressive but you-all seem to know these things so I latched on to the subject.

Archived