trumatic gas/electric water heater

ronald

Hi , we have recently purchased a 2001 fiat autotrail carioca 15 and I am trying to get my head round all its features. It is fitted with a trumatic water heater/heating system, which as we are new to owning a motorhome I am not familiar with. with the gas bottles tuned on and the gas supply to the boiler unit turned on and the control panel switched to hot water does the gas burner automatically ignite ? and should it be audible? as I cant hear anything with ear to boiler I wondered if there is something else i needed to do.

lights do come on on control panel. any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Ron.

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums, Ron.

You can (and should) download Operating and Installation instructions for Trumatic C heaters from here

https://dealernew.truma.com/_anweisungen/Truma_Katalog/2%20gb/trumatic_c_gb/trumatic_c_gb.html

With the gas bottles turned on (and gas in the bottles of course!) and the gas supply to the boiler unit turned on and the control panel switched to water-heating a Trumatic C’s gas burner should ignite automatically. When water is actually being heated the gas-burner’s fan will be operating, however the fan is pretty quiet. Once the water has reached 40C (or 60C) the gas-burner will shut off and the fan will cease running.

As long as a green light on the control-panel stays on, it’s reasonable to assume the heater is working OK. If a red light comes on, there’s some sort of problem. An orange light will illuminate when water is being heated and go off when the chosen water-temperature has been reached.

AND don't forget to fill the fresh water tank. Then, pump water to the boiler. There is a dump valve next to the boiler which needs to be in the closed position, otherwise water will start pouring out beneath the van.

You can operate the boiler for space heating without it containing water. However, you may as well fill the boiler with water to check the operation of the hot water system.

ronald - 2016-10-12 1:46 PM

lights do come on on control panel.

Ron.

Hi Ron, welcome to the forum.

What lights come on and are they steady or do they flash?

And have ou managed to identify the exact model of Truma heater, this will help if you can identify it.

Finally AutoTrail did not make Carioca's, Caravans International (CI) did. So I believe you have a 2001 CI Carioca 15. This is very important as the exact specification of equipment fitted will differ between manufacturers.

Keith.

On a simalar problem.

Just got back from France. first trip trip this year in van! Our electric heating was working on the first couple of uses, but then ceased to get hot. The gas system is working (Thank goodness!) The green light comes on on the control; panel Have not had a chance to check it out yet, still unpacking !!

Any suggestions where to start looking??Van 2006 Sundance . Usually go earlier in year and to Spain, so don't often use the heating

PJay

Keithl - 2016-10-12 4:36 PM

ronald - 2016-10-12 1:46 PM

lights do come on on control panel.

Ron.

Hi Ron, welcome to the forum.

What lights come on and are they steady or do they flash?

And have ou managed to identify the exact model of Truma heater, this will help if you can identify it.

Finally AutoTrail did not make Carioca's, Caravans International (CI) did. So I believe you have a 2001 CI Carioca 15. This is very important as the exact specification of equipment fitted will differ between manufacturers.

Keith.

Assuming that Ron’s Trumatic gas/230V heater is the original one installed in 2001, it’s going to be a C3402(EL) or a C6002(EL) with either the ‘old’ or ’new’ style panel controlling gas heating.

230V water-heating will be via a 450W 'collar’ encircling the heater’s water reservoir beneath the heater’s outer cover and may have a ‘proper’ Truma On/Off switch or a simple ‘domestic’ switch. Heating air using 230V is not possible.

A C3402 has a maximum heat output of 3.4kW, while a C6002’s maximum heat output is 6.0kW, but although the control-panel may differ design-wise, all C3402(EL) and C6002(EL) heaters function similarly.

For trouble-shooting the list on Page 10 of the following document is reasonably comprehensible

https://dealernew.truma.com/_anweisungen/Truma_Katalog/pdf_verzeichnis/30_000/34000_95000.pdf

PJay - 2016-10-12 5:07 PM

On a simalar problem.

Just got back from France. first trip trip this year in van! Our electric heating was working on the first couple of uses, but then ceased to get hot. The gas system is working (Thank goodness!) The green light comes on on the control; panel Have not had a chance to check it out yet, still unpacking !!

Any suggestions where to start looking??Van 2006 Sundance . Usually go earlier in year and to Spain, so don't often use the heating

PJay

Ron needs to carefully study the relevant Truma Operating instructions and understand what the lights on the heater’s control-panel signify. He has said that the heater apparently remains silent when gas water-heating is selected, but if no red light comes on (and the green and yellow lights illuminate) the water in the heater should begin to heat up. At this stage, though, there’s nothing to indicate that Ron’s heater is actually problematical. (It would be worth knowing what happens when Ron selects gas air-heating.)

In your case I’m guessing from your Sundance’s 2006 vintage that you have a Trumatic C6002EH gas/230V heater that can heat air and/or water using either gas or 230V or a combination of 230V and gas.

These are more sophisticated than the C3402/C60002 heaters with more potential to go wrong. There’s a trouble-shooting list on Page 15 of this document

https://dealernew.truma.com/_anweisungen/Truma_Katalog/pdf_verzeichnis/30_000/34010_03500.pdf

with an “Electrical operation 230V” section.

Refer to Page 12 of the document. If you are lucky pushing in the overheating protection red button will cure the problem, or the heater’s 230V fuse may have failed, or a fuse has failed in the 230V supply to the heater

If 230V is reaching the heater and the heater’s 230V fuse is OK and pressing the red button doesn’t fix the problem, it’s possible that the heater’s 230V heating elements have developed a fault. But check the simple suspects first.

Thank you Derek. Will pass this info on to OH. We do have all the instructions , and he did look at them, but as we where away and the gas worked , he did not bother. We are in the process of emptying the van and cleaning it for winter storage, so will be easier when all the bits are offloaded. , fortunately he is a chartered engineer (ret) so will get it sorted, just at a much slower pace these days!! I thought that it was worth asking on here, as some-one may have had the same problem. As I said previously we have hardly ever used the heating, and your advice is always very helpful

PJay

Derek Uzzell - 2016-10-12 6:11 PM

PJay - 2016-10-12 5:07 PM

On a simalar problem.

PJay

Ron needs to carefully study the relevant Truma Operating instructions and understand what the lights on the heater’s control-panel signify. He has said that the heater apparently remains silent when gas water-heating is selected, but if no red light comes on (and the green and yellow lights illuminate) the water in the heater should begin to heat up. At this stage, though, there’s nothing to indicate that Ron’s heater is actually problematical. (It would be worth knowing what happens when Ron selects gas air-heating.)

In your case I’m guessing from your Sundance’s 2006 vintage that you have a Trumatic C6002EH gas/230V heater that can heat air and/or water using either gas or 230V or a combination of 230V and gas.

These are more sophisticated than the C3402/C60002 heaters with more potential to go wrong. There’s a trouble-shooting list on Page 15 of this document

https://dealernew.truma.com/_anweisungen/Truma_Katalog/pdf_verzeichnis/30_000/34010_03500.pdf

with an “Electrical operation 230V” section.

Refer to Page 12 of the document. If you are lucky pushing in the overheating protection red button will cure the problem, or the heater’s 230V fuse may have failed, or a fuse has failed in the 230V supply to the heater

If 230V is reaching the heater and the heater’s 230V fuse is OK and pressing the red button doesn’t fix the problem, it’s possible that the heater’s 230V heating elements have developed a fault. But check the simple suspects first.

We have model S3002 (p), S5002, S55T according to the manual we have Van was made in 2005, but registered march 2006. This was the changeover year when they also changed the base vehicle

It is not a priority at the moment , as van will be in storage for winter now We do not have the red button !

PJay

P Jay

You won't have the red button because your Truma appliance is a convector ‘fire’ that can heat air but (unlike a Trumatic C-series combination air/water heater) not water. Presumably your heater has a blown-air add-on and - as you’ve mentioned electric heating - will have the “Ultraheat” 230V option.

It’s unlikely that your heater is a S5002 or S55T. These are bulky, with two heat exchangers and a 5kW heat output, and would tend to be used in static caravans rather than motorhomes. Without knowing what make/model of motorhome you own I can’t be 100% certain that it hasn’t got a S5002 or S55T, but if it’s UK-made I’d expect it to have a S3002P.

https://dealernew.truma.com/_anweisungen/Truma_Katalog/pdf_verzeichnis/30_000/30050_93000.pdf

The “Ultraheat” option is covered here

https://dealernew.truma.com/_anweisungen/Truma_Katalog/pdf_verzeichnis/30_000/30030_72100.pdf

I’ve no practical experience of Truma ‘fires’, but the first thing to check would be the fuse in the 230V power-supply to your heater.

Derek Uzzell - 2016-10-13 1:36 PM

P Jay

You won't have the red button because your Truma appliance is a convector ‘fire’ that can heat air but (unlike a Trumatic C-series combination air/water heater) not water. Presumably your heater has a blown-air add-on and - as you’ve mentioned electric heating - will have the “Ultraheat” 230V option.

It’s unlikely that your heater is a S5002 or S55T. These are bulky, with two heat exchangers and a 5kW heat output, and would tend to be used in static caravans rather than motorhomes. Without knowing what make/model of motorhome you own I can’t be 100% certain that it hasn’t got a S5002 or S55T, but if it’s UK-made I’d expect it to have a S3002P.

https://dealernew.truma.com/_anweisungen/Truma_Katalog/pdf_verzeichnis/30_000/30050_93000.pdf

The “Ultraheat” option is covered here

https://dealernew.truma.com/_anweisungen/Truma_Katalog/pdf_verzeichnis/30_000/30030_72100.pdf

I’ve no practical experience of Truma ‘fires’, but the first thing to check would be the fuse in the 230V power-supply to your heater.

Yes it is the S3002P The manual we have is for all three models. Fuses are going to be the first test, now we have emptied the van, and done the other jobs that we needed to do. It takes us a lot longer now to do things, and does not help that some of the bits need to go up three floors to our loft!!

PJay

Bit surprised you have the “P” version of the S3002 heater, as this is the basic model with piezo gas-ignition. Motorhomes tended to have gas-ignition via replaceable batteries or via the motorhome’s own 12V power-supply.

However, you should know what you’ve got, though I’ve still no idea which make/model of motorhome you own (?) (?) (?) (?) (?) (?)

Derek Uzzell - 2016-10-14 10:26 AM

However, you should know what you’ve got, though I’ve still no idea which make/model of motorhome you own (?) (?) (?) (?) (?) (?)

A 2006 Swift Sundance!

Well certainly in 2010...

PJay - 2010-10-14 4:50 PM

Hi

We have a Swift Sundance 2006, 590RS ...

PJay

and this seems to confirm she still does...

PJay - 2016-09-15 10:44 PM

We have a 2006 ducato with 50, 000 k mileage , still got original exhaust

PJay

Ever the detective :D

But so much simpler if Pauline were to add identifying details of her motorhome (eg “2006 Swift Sundance 590RS”) to the Location field of her Profile as you and I have done.

I did carry out a few cursory forum seaches (I thought she might own an Auto-Trail) but lost heart. If I had known it was a Sundance I would not have thought her heater was a Trumatic C6002EH model.

Derek Uzzell - 2016-10-14 10:26 AM

Bit surprised you have the “P” version of the S3002 heater, as this is the basic model with piezo gas-ignition. Motorhomes tended to have gas-ignition via replaceable batteries or via the motorhome’s own 12V power-supply.

The p may be a different model, but i quoted all the numbers given with the instruction booklet, can not see actual no on the fire.

As i previously stated our van was the end of model production prior to the change in late 2006 to the different chassis.

i know people moan about swifts, but we have been very happy with ours, as Swift did replace the floor free of charge , even though out of warranty. We where lucky in picking the right lay out to suit our needs, with our first ( and only)foray into motor homing, having been sailors for many years prior

It will see us to the end of our "roaring"

PJay

Archived