Hello

mo haggs

Hi folks, it's usually correct forum etiquette to introduce one's self.

I am a relative newbie to motorhomes (sort of...).

I am 32, married - with 3 kids.

I am a class 1 hgv driver (so I'm used to living out of a vehicle),

and i race motorcycles where money/time/family permits.

For racing I have use of a very basic home-conversion merc 609D panel van,

Large rear garage accessed from rear doors,

Living quarters accessed via side door as follows - bench seat across bulkhead and down one side (doubles as large bed with a board and back rest cushions), 4unit B&Q kitchen fitted over the rear axle serves as a bulkhead for the garage and a stepping stone up to a massive bed above the garage.

It's rather agricultural but does exactly what it was built for.

My wife and i are planning on holidaying in the Basque country the year after next.

With 3 "mini terrorists" holidays are a challenge.

We decided a motorhome was the way to go.

I have read the guides and done a little research and have a spec in mind but It's open to alternatives.

I like the idea of

6-berth,

coachbuilt,

u-shape rear lounge,

front dinette,

overcab bed.

Bigger the better.

But my budget is honest. Preferred £15,000 but max @ £20,000

So there you have it, thats me and i look forward to your comments.

Hi Morris and let me be the first to welcome you to this excellent forum. There is a wealth of talent on this forum so I am sure you will find the help you need. In the land down under 6 berth motorhomes seem to be most common in the rental fleets. Usually built locally on a MB /VW as well as Ducato. Have a look at www.apollocamper.com for the different layouts. These units find there way onto the used market after a couple of years and are generally in ok condition but utilitarian in decore. I would expect a similar situation exists in the U.K. Depending on where you will spend most time ( you did mention The Basque region) you may wish to consider a left hand drive MH if the bulk of your travels are out of the UK. On a more general point I am parked up on a beach in Tasmania not far from the old penal area known as Port Arthur. Along from our MH are two families in two 6 berth rentals and the kids are having a ball. Their swimmers and towels draped all over the fence line drying while their parents have driven them down to the local wharf chippie for a seafood lunch. The Basque region I am sure will delight you every day you are there. Good luck with your search. Also look at www.crusinmotorhomes.com.au for layout ideas. Cheers, 

Thanks for the links I'll be sure to check them out.

As for LHD, the majority of use will probably be in the UK - but, I have no problem with a "left hooker" if the spec/budget are catered to.

I've seen some lovely wagons on various sites and have

found a few models that check a lot of boxes.

Bessacarr E695

Elddis Suntor Autostralis EB

Rimor Superbrigg 728

Hi Mo and welcome,

I think your biggest problem is going to be finding a MH with the required extra seat belts in your budget.

As you say you have

mo haggs - 2016-11-16 9:49 PM

... 3 "mini terrorists"

You are going to have to make sure they are restrained correctly. A lot of 6 berth MH's of the age you are probably looking at will likely have no rear seat belts. For example we have a 5/6 berth AT and it has no rear seat belts. Whilst pre 2007 (?) it is legal to carry unbelted passengers in the back you would not want to with small children.

The other thing to check is if your children need booster seats do they fit correctly and are they secure on the rear seats. Many MH dinette seats have the top anchorage in the centre so offer no support to keep a booster seat on an end seating position. Also MH seats tend to be softer than car seats causing further complications.

PS And DO NOT use seat belts on side facing seats. they have been shown to be more dangerous then no seat belt at all!

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, just make you aware of what could be a big issue.

All the best in your search.

Keith.

mo haggs - 2016-11-18 12:03 AM

Thanks for the links I'll be sure to check them out.

As for LHD, the majority of use will probably be in the UK - but, I have no problem with a "left hooker" if the spec/budget are catered to.

I've seen some lovely wagons on various sites and have

found a few models that check a lot of boxes.

Bessacarr E695

Elddis Suntor Autostralis EB

Rimor Superbrigg 728

Hi Mo and welcome

Your main problem as I see it, will be the fitting of 3 booster/child seats. As has been pointed out, the dinette seats only have one side to them!, so fitting child seats , may be a problem.

You do not say how old the mini terrorists are!! but I guess not yet in double figures?

The other solution would be for Mum to sit in the back (probably as referee?) That would depend on the age of the child in front! As you have an HGV licence, size not a problem, but size can be a problem when looking for a site,

Good luck in your search, let us know how you get on BUT please no side facing seats !

PJay

StuartO - 2016-11-18 8:44 AM
Keithl - 2016-11-18 7:22 AM.....  And DO NOT use seat belts on side facing seats. they have been shown to be more dangerous then no seat belt at all!

Got an evidence basis for this view please Keith?

Stuart,A quick search has come up with this quote from CaravanGuards website..."Sideways facing seatsIn April 2012 the legislation that relates to the use of sideways facing seats was adopted. European Whole Vehicle Type Approval Regulations prohibit the use of side facing seats as travel seats, stating that ‘Research has shown that it is not possible to provide side-facing seats with safety belts ensuring the same level of safety to the occupants as front-facing seats. For safety reasons, it is necessary to ban those seats in certain categories of vehicles."http://www.caravanguard.co.uk/news/motorhome-seat-belts-usage-new-laws-latest-regulation-comply-6905/It gives links to more info but if side facing seats are safe then why are they now banned as 'Designated travel seats' by current legislation?Keith.

Yes folks you're absolutely right the biggest problem has been with seat belts. Fortunately I've a contact in a commercial coachbuilders

Who assured me he can safely convert a lap-belt into a full 3 point using a detachable high-mounted anchor, so that takes a little pressure off.

I would never have considered side facing seats, so all's good on that front.

As for putting one mini beast in the front and wifey in the back,

If i can get 4 belted seats in the rear - she'll be in the back too so as not to interfere with the driver lol.

And when it comes time to buy I'll be buying in person not online if i can help it.

P.Jay. i was thinking size may cause issues on sites.

But also ferry prices and general running costs.

I used to own a Burstner A747-2 Active, a Tag Axle motorhome with the 2.8 JTD Fiat diesel engine. It's a big van at 8.2 metres long and 5 ton MAM.

It is the Continental layout with rear fixed bed but otherwise would suit your needs very well. It has a double dinette just behind the cab area with 4 belted seats with 3 point seatbelts.

The fixed rear bed is Super King size, the overcab bed is King size and with the table dropped and the side settee pulled out, that bed area is massive.

It would be suitable for a Family like yours and within your price range.

mo haggs - 2016-11-19 10:10 AM

Health to ride Rodger.

The burstner argos 747 looks great actually, I've not came across that model. Cheers.

If the Burstner Argos fits the bill for belted seats for the kids, I would go for that one in preference to the Active model.

There is a different layout for the water tanks (in the rear garage on the Argos). Mine was right on the max load on the front wheels, especially the nearside wheel (which was probably overloaded most of the time) due to everything being sited at the front nearside (UK nearside).

So much for Vorsprung Durch Technik. :D

mo haggs - 2016-11-19 10:14 AM

Habitation certificate - while pretty self - explaining, what checks are made and what would pass/fail??

It all depends on a lot of things...

Who is paying, and whether the dealer doing the check is buying or selling the MH!

Never trust a dealer, always do your own checks and go by gut instinct!

Just my view on things.

Keith.

The BIG Dethleffs Advantage A 7871-2 SG is often seen in use as a Race truck, but still too new to fall within your budget, The early 2000's Dethleffs Globetrotter Espirit - 2002/02, 6 berth models only had 4 belted seats (from memory)

Their Euro 4 Fortero on Ford Transit chassis may be worth a look depending on suitability of layout.

http://ads.caravansforsale.co.uk/motorhome/dethleffs-fortero-6-berth-2010-used-motorhomes-for-sale/607385

or their budget Sunlight range on Fiat chassis

http://ads.caravansforsale.co.uk/motorhome/dethleffs-sunlighta69-7-berth-2008-used-motorhomes-for-sale/610684

Archived