Gaslow filler point

stevec176

I'm considering changing my gas system over to Gaslow and wanted the filler putting inside the cabinet but I've been informed by the garage that a lot of filling stations won't let you fill up unless the filler is outside the cabinet. Has anyone had any problems with internal fillers?

I have Gaslow and my filler is inside the cabinet - you open the door to get at it as a result of which it stays clean too.

I have never had any issues with filling it up related to that, though I was once stopped from filling up in Holland as apparently the VAT is supposed to be at a higher rate for heating and cooking than for if you are using the LPG to drive.

The next garage along the road did not have an issue though !

Mick Bajcar

stevec176 - 2017-01-11 12:53 PMI'm considering changing my gas system over to Gaslow and wanted the filler putting inside the cabinet but I've been informed by the garage that a lot of filling stations won't let you fill up unless the filler is outside the cabinet. Has anyone had any problems with internal fillers?

You might be stopped from refueling a MH at any petrol station, even if the filler nozzle is outside the gas locker because some companies ban it.  Their reason is that petrol station staff are not trained to inspect MH gas installations to ensure they are safe and some have had bad experiences with people refuelling dodgy systems.  One MH owner caused a fire last year refueling a system which looked very dodgy indeed.  So some garage companies take the safe course and ban all MH refueling.

But in practice that does not seem to happen and you probably will be allowed to refuel at garages in UK if you just quietly get on with it.  Having a filler nozzle on the outside and leaving the gas locker closed will help to achieve this inconspicuously.

In theory you can refuel gas bottles with fillers at the neck (eg Safefill and nowadays some gaslow bottles) but refueling these is more likely to be conspicuous and therefore more likely to be challenged.

My system was fitted ten years ago and the nozzle on the lower skirt has given no trouble.  It has a rubber lid which keeps the road muck out. 

Unless you have a pressing reason to avoid installing the filler nozzle on the vehicle's outer skin, that's probably the preferred way to go.

Steve

This Gaslow document

http://tinyurl.com/hjgyks2

covers refilling via a ‘remote’ filling-point located outside the gas-locker, or via a “Direct Fill” adapter attached to the cylinder’s inlet.

As will be seen, Gaslow’s recommendation is

"If you want hassle-free filling anywhere....upgrade to a fixed cylinder installation.

By fixing a permanent filler on the outside of your vehicle your Gaslow will then meet all the requirements of the UKLPG trade association directives so you will be able to fill up anywhere in the UK. Purchase a few filling adaptors and then you will be able to top-up just about anywhere in the world.”

My own view is that, if you are considering installing a Gaslow system with the LPG filling-point inside a motorhome’s gas-locker, you might as well not bother and use the simpler ‘on bottle’ adapter approach. Conversely, if you want to minimise the possibility of a service-station forbidding LPG refilling because it’s noticed that the motorhome’s gas-locker door has been opened, opt for having the filling-point outside the gas-locker so that the locker-door can remain closed.

Derek Uzzell - 2017-01-11 1:59 PM

Conversely, if you want to minimise the possibility of a service-station forbidding LPG refilling because it’s noticed that the motorhome’s gas-locker door has been opened, opt for having the filling-point outside the gas-locker so that the locker-door can remain closed.

I'd go further than that and say 'If you don't want to contribute to the eventual blanket banning of refilling of motorhome LPG systems then opt for having the filling-point outside the gas-locker so that the locker-door can remain closed'

For such little extra effort and expense it really is the only one true way :-).

I have been using a Gaslow arrangement with the filler inside the gas locker for the past seven years with no problems here or on the continent. I once came across (in the UK) the owner of a fairly new UK tag-axle motorhome who proceeded to remove an old, 13 Kg butane cylinder from his gas locker which had a "home-made" filler connector attached to it. I asked how he ensured no overfill, but as he knew roughly how much gas he used he just put that amount in. UNBELIEVABLE!!!! I told him he was an idiot and he risked destroying the convenience of refillable LPG for the rest of us. We didn't part on the best of terms. I can see the attraction in having the filler in the bodywork, but I worry about the ingress of water or debris into the filler connection causing the filling valve to leak, and having to route the filling hose though the wall or floor of the gas locker.

Hi. My gaslow started on my auto trail where filler was in gas locker. Moved it to my last two Globecar PAnel vans. On these the backdoors are opened to access gas locked, again fitted filler just inside the locker. I have to open the vans back door to access filler.

Never had any queries anywhere in Europe including occasions where I had to get an assistant out because pump not working( both in U.K. And Europe, the last time was 2 weeks ago in U.K.).

The reason for fitting in the locker is that I don't like holes in the bodywork ( I also refuse to have a tv aerial fitted for the same reason). I know I have holes for roof lights but I have had them leak on occasion which just reenforces my predjuce.

Peter

Steve928 - 2017-01-11 3:07 PM

Conversely, if you want to minimise the possibility of a service-station forbidding LPG refilling because it’s noticed that the motorhome’s gas-locker door has been opened, opt for having the filling-point outside the gas-locker so that the locker-door can remain closed.

I'd go further than that and say 'If you don't want to contribute to the eventual blanket banning of refilling of motorhome LPG systems then opt for having the filling-point outside the gas-locker so that the locker-door can remain closed'

For such little extra effort and expense it really is the only one true way :-).

Attached is a photo of a Rapido 640F like mine.

As will be seen, the gas-locker is close to the motorhome’s cab section and (evident from the ventilation grilles) there’s a fridge/freezer directly aft of the locker. The 640F’s design makes it impossible to install a remote LPG filling-point in a body side-panel in front, above or behind the locker. It might be practicable to put one in the curved ‘plastic’ skirt below the fridge’s location, but the (fairly flimsy) skirt would need to be strengthened significantly as part of the installation process. That leaves either attaching the filler to a bracket fixed beneath the gas-locker’s floor where there’s every chance it would get bashed and where accessing the filler would hardly be ideal, putting a hose+filling-point (£70?) in the locker or using a ‘direct filling’ adapter (£18). As the third approach is simpler (no work needed except to screw the adapter on to the Gaslow bottle), puts the refilling adapter at a convenient height and is cheaper, it’s hardly surprising that I chose to take the adapter-on-Gaslow-bottle route.

640f.jpg.18db0d014079709b1ac20cea0b9d18fd.jpg

The cabinet door is probably the worst place as the hose and connectors will be stressed each time the door is opened., the fill hose contains liqjid lpg.

Mine is in the locker, I've been refused once in Italy and once in Spain in about 24 months abroad during winter. It's good practice to close the bottle valve before filling (truma secumotion fitted) and I also keep the adaptors in the locker so always open the door anyway.

stevec176 - 2017-01-11 5:00 PM

Thanks everyone for your advice, think I'll have the filler fitted into the cabinet door which will make replacement easy if needed.

Steve

This earlier discussion touches on installing an LPG filling-point in the gas-locker door.

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Refillable-Gas-Bottles-Warning/45952/#M516421

The following link (provided in pepe63’s 20 December 2016 9:09 AM posting in that discussion) includes Gaslow’s advice on door-mounting the filler

http://www.gaslow.co.uk/pdf/Filling-Instructions-2012.pdf

I note that Gaslow instructs “Always turn OFF cylinder valves BEFORE filling”. As this would normally involve opening the gas-locker door, presumably motorcaravanners with Gaslow systems turn the valves off prior to visiting the LPG service-station?

Steve928 - 2017-01-11 3:07 PM

Presumably you travel with the gas turned off to and don't use secumotion to avoid having to open the locker door on a forecourt to close the gas cylinders as is recommended when about to refill.

ianj8793 - 2017-01-12 11:21 AM

Presumably you travel with the gas turned off to and don't use secumotion to avoid having to open the locker door on a forecourt to close the gas cylinders as is recommended when about to refill.

Yes that's correct, I travel with both cylinder valves closed when I'm going to refill with LPG. If I then want the gas on I'll stop at the next convenient layby etc. and fire everything up. Never on the forecourt.

Steve928 - 2017-01-12 3:05 PM

ianj8793 - 2017-01-12 11:21 AM

Yes that's correct, I travel with both cylinder valves closed when I'm going to refill with LPG. If I then want the gas on I'll stop at the next convenient layby etc. and fire everything up. Never on the forecourt.

I agree Steve928 but I wouldn't use the term "fire everything up" where gas is involved B-)

• 5 weeks later...

We've had a Gaslow refillable system since 2009 and have always had an in-locker filler however we've had occasions where we've been refused, twice I think, but for us now that we have a PVC it's more about convenience as it's a pain to have to open the rear doors then the gas locker doors to be able to fill, this is especially a nuisance if it's raining as the bedding gets wet whilst we're filling and if it's cold the whole van gets chilled, also there is always a bit of gas that comes out when you detach the nozzle and the smell gets inside the van and takes ages to go ... it's very stinky!

I've now bought a new 'square' filler to replace the existing large circular one, and will be installing the new one in the rear plastic corner bumper moulding (either in the side or rear) - I may even fit it where the rear square reflector goes and put the reflector on top. As I'll be taking the pipe down through one of the bottom drop vents no holes will need making other than the one for the filler itself.

127539640_Gasfillersquare.thumb.jpg.0056f201fbf77df25933bc7653051b84.jpg

filler.thumb.jpg.a6ae7e5b80064efff213fc0777bccecd.jpg

bayonet.thumb.jpg.c1dd8ec0e9ef5ae5c8d722a091e55370.jpg

• 1 year later...
Hi Mel B. Did you fit this in the bumper and if so how did you get on. ie. Is the bumper strong enough to hold the bracket. Did you put it on the back or side of the bumper. have you got any photo's. Thinking of doing this to my PVC so very interested. Cheers Paddy

When the filling connection is released a quantity of liquid gas always escapes. The UK style fitting is the worst for this. Liquid gas rapidly turns into gaseous gas and I just wouldn't want my M/H having any inflammable gas released inside. I know lockers have drop holes, I also know that the wind blows up them preventing gas escaping that way. The smallest spark or flame can ignite LPG, best make sure the fridge is off and ground yourself in case of static discharge. Make sure your insurance covers the installation with an internal filler, you won't find out that they don't until you make a claim.

H

PS Worth reading this http://www.go-lpg.co.uk/Filler.html

Archived